Notices

Playing the tape forward

Old 03-05-2021, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Playing the tape forward

I am happy to say that I a back on day 7. However I am very nervous... My wife and kids are going to visit my in-laws for the next 3 days, and I’ll be home alone to watch the pets... Historically during these times I would go on a total bender, and find myself in trouble.

I can’t let this happen this time. I am attempting to play the table forward.

1 beer and I will be off to the races for the next 3 days.. drugs will inevitably come around, I’ll gamble uncontrollably, and spend lots of money... worst of all I will not be in the condition to take care of my pets... I will then wake up Monday morning in a depression filled haze, and be useless at work until Wednesday. Before my family arrives home on Tuesday, I’ll have to do a deep clean to make sure I didn’t leave any evidence around....

All right, I feel a little bit better about being able to stay sober. I can’t let the above mentioned scenario occur.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Make a very busy schedule for youself, hour per hour. Then accomplish that schedule. Have some sort of default "activity" perhaps when the drinking mood strikes--like

I will eat an apple.
I will take a 15 minute walk around the block.
I will look at my list of activities.

Maybe clean up something that has been ignored awhile like a Junk drawer. Do something that will surprise the wife and kids - a good surprise!

You can adjust your sobriety goals to little ones to get through this. I know I did. The lofty forever goal is hard. So a lot of us will say "I won't drink today". I had moments where it was I won't drink "this hour". Sometimes it was I wont' drink in these next 15 minutes.

It's going to be a long challenge. I know sitting at home with no one around was one of my favorite times to drink. Honestly - when I look back on that - I was silly and after being drunk/alone for a couple hours - I just got sick and usually wanted to reach out to people to talk/chat anyways. So yes, playing the tape is good. Is those 1-3 hours really worth all the trouble? NOPE!

You can do this!
Old 03-05-2021, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post here often - involve yourself in some ongoing threads, You can do this GoodLife32

D
Old 03-06-2021, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's not the last drink of a three-day bender that gets us. It's the first one.

Don't give yourself permission to drink.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is great your on day 7 you really dont want to ruin that for yourself your doing so well..that was a great suggestion about doing a nice surprise for your wife while she gone..Could you start some project around the house while shes gone maybe, I find once I start into somthing it takes my mind off it and you will be proud of it in the end and your wife would be happy too when she gets back..Take care
Old 03-06-2021, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HELLO!
How are you doing? How is the weekend treating you?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey good. How are you doing?