Notices

I can do this

Old 03-25-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Finding what works is really the ticket.
It can be anything really but it does have to be something
I hope you are doing well and staying the course!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Titles of threads don't often tell us what the thread is about, but "I Can Do This," speaks volumes to me. It's a good positive attitude, but you still have to make that transition from telling yourself you can do it to just doing it. To defend myself for making such an obvious point that tends to sound cavalier and unfeeling, this transition is not always that easy, and we meet it with resistance. As alcoholics, putting this positive attitude into play is life changing and not as simple as it is to simply put into words.

Years before I quit drinking, I remember telling myself that I could quit if I decided to. How I wish I would have done that, but the fact is that telling myself I could did nothing to stop me from getting worse and worse into my eventual downward freighting spiral.

I know you are trying to actually do what you are saying you can do. The fact is that what you are say is absolutely true. You CAN do this!" It's just that doing it feels different from saying it. And I believe that all of us alcoholics have struggled at this juncture. It's a big step. But don't lose the faith (in yourself), you are doing it the right way. You are reaching out. You are actually doing things that were unthinkable in the past like 3 zoom meetings in one night, and you are close to making a big transition where one of your thread titles will eventually be "I Did It." The early stages involves battling with your AV. I would suggest ignoring it rather than taking it head on in battle.

There will be a feeling of putting your foot down and just saying, "Stop drinking," to yourself no matter what else you feel, and when "stop drinking" over-rides everything else, you will be making the transition in doing. OK, it's not easy. If it was easy, this forum wouldn't exist, but others have done it, and so will you.