Notices

Dinner party with friends - barely noticed the boozing

Old 03-02-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dinner party with friends - barely noticed the boozing

Just a simple but hopeful and positive report from the my sober life as I head towards wrapping up my third year. I had neighbors over for dinner the other night, I cooked, they brought some apps. My wife made a cocktail and they brought wine. Although I was aware of the fact that everyone was drinking it wasn't until the end of the evening, when we were cleaning up, that I realized my neighbors finished two bottles of wine between the two of them. I laughed to myself as I tossed the bottles in the bin. For all of my adult life I would have been hyper aware of their consumption because, as a drunk, I would have been both happy with the cover of others over-consuming and I would have wanted to join in. And then in my early days of sobriety I would have been watching every glass they poured.

At this point it doesn't even register. What is in interesting to me, upon reflection, is that there was a moment in the early part of the evening when I found myself feeling jealous that my wife and the couple were having a shared moment over alcohol - cheers'ing and enjoying their first sips. But that feeling faded very quickly. (I instinctively "play the tape out" these days and shudder at the knowledge of where my "first sips" inevitably led...).

End of the night, sober as a bird, reading a book before bed, having been in control of myself and been present for the conversations - simple, peaceful and complete. Nothing beats not drinking.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's the truth.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wonderful! It is so good to read you enjoyed yourself and that you are sober and content in your sobriety. Thank you for sharing with us, LessGravity! Thank you for being here.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you had a good sober evening Less

D
Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great night, and your last sentence is so true!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Nothing wrong with noticing , best part is the noticing itself becomes banal and boring and fades.
Not so for the Beast , that little bastard always notices , best part is that doesn’t even matter , a book and bed are the perfect end to nearly every day .