Notices

Alcohol Ads

Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Ads

Hopefully this does not cross the line of political post but feeling a bit triggered today! Watching some YouTube videos and alcohol ads come up constantly. Open my email and get emails from groupon and restaurants sending me alcohol deals. Keep in mind I have never ordered alcohol off groupon, I know internet companies track browsing activity wonder if I get these ads because I come here.

I have always believed companies should be free to advertise what they want but in todays society where you really have to watch what you say and everything is considered offensive and people need their "safe space" seems alcohol is always being shoved in our face. About 1/8 people in the USA have problems with abusing alcohol, that is a huge amount of people. How come our feelings are not being considered? If an ad triggers even 10 percent of people to drink who have substance abuse issues in the US that is around 2 million people. Not to factor in the collateral damage that is done by the alcoholic.

Seems like alcoholics and drug addict's are constantly thrown under the bus. Am I crazy for this line of thinking?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of people in the world who drink alcohol safely and responsibly and they should be able to read/see advertisements for alcohol if they want to. I did notice those ads in early recovery, but they no longer register on my radar and you will get to that point. Can you just not open the groupon emails for awhile, and maybe click off the Youtube ads, quickly? I think, as alcoholics, we need to tune out those ads and ignore them as much as possible. I'm sorry this is triggering you a bit today.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Australia has banned alcohol and tobacco advertising. Also pharmaceuticals except otc medicines.

I think the case was won largely because of the way in which these ads influence young people.

I'm glad. They sell a lie.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Still got to watch all the other garbage tho.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once you recover you no longer really notice or care about alcohol or alcohol ads. It takes time but it’s 100% possible to get to that place. I used to moan about alcohol promotion (rightly so in many ways) and then eventually it became totally irrelevant as the drink problem was removed/gone.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've only got to look in the front window of the bottle shop to have my skin crawl.

I know what it can do.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Hopefully this does not cross the line of political post but feeling a bit triggered today! Watching some YouTube videos and alcohol ads come up constantly. Open my email and get emails from groupon and restaurants sending me alcohol deals. Keep in mind I have never ordered alcohol off groupon, I know internet companies track browsing activity wonder if I get these ads because I come here.

I have always believed companies should be free to advertise what they want but in todays society where you really have to watch what you say and everything is considered offensive and people need their "safe space" seems alcohol is always being shoved in our face. About 1/8 people in the USA have problems with abusing alcohol, that is a huge amount of people. How come our feelings are not being considered? If an ad triggers even 10 percent of people to drink who have substance abuse issues in the US that is around 2 million people. Not to factor in the collateral damage that is done by the alcoholic.

Seems like alcoholics and drug addict's are constantly thrown under the bus. Am I crazy for this line of thinking?
You're not crazy for thinking it. I think Americans in general, as a society, have a bad relationship with drugs and alcohol. But you're probably right to not delve much deeper, next thing you know it'll veer into politics. I had to reword this post about 5 times as it is.

When I see the ads I just smile because it's not going to work on me anymore. But it's painful to think that someone else might see it and have a craving that threatens their sobriety. Possibly a lot of people.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The world is definitely awash in alcohol and alcohol advertising. It is the biggest of big businesses. How the innerwebs work is a mystery to a low-tech wonder like me, but I would be surprised if your presence on this site was the reason you are receiving those ads and pokes and offers of booze. I've been on here 18 months and lurked prior to that for a while and I've never received a single ad in any form for alcohol.

I'm sorry it is bugging you. Eventually you won't even take note but I know that is of little comfort to you at present.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know internet companies track browsing activity wonder if I get these ads because I come here.
With my post count I should be inundated with such things, but I’m not - so it’s not true of SR NB.

Other companies may not be as scrupulous.

When I used to buy alcohol I’m pretty sure my deets got sold on for wine deals, and at the grocery store for specials at the associated chain of liquor outlet and what have you.

If you’ve got a Flybuys (loyalty) card at a grocery chain here its odds on you’ll get targeted ads through email based on what you purchase. Facebook was/is a similar deal. Google too.

You can see that as inherently evil, or effective marketing - but I stopped the problem cold by getting into recovery and not buying alcohol anymore.

D
Old 03-02-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't like to see those ads on social media or TV. And it's not because I'm an addict and I'm triggered. I don't like that it glorifies drinking - as it relates to my children. Some people say that they don't notice it and it doesn't bother them and that is fine, but I wonder how people would feel if they were advertising cocaine or meth? I mean some people do that responsibly.

At minimum they should be age restricted IMO. But I'm also a hypocrite and believe in ultimate free speech so there. I'm an idiot.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I shudder when I see it on display but it doesn't temp or trigger me. Couldn't care less, but I do care about the kids. I think they've wised up a lot though.

It's hard writing something about politics without mentioning politics. 😳

Old 03-02-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Australia has banned alcohol and tobacco advertising. Also pharmaceuticals except otc medicines.

I think the case was won largely because of the way in which these ads influence young people.

I'm glad. They sell a lie.
no we didn’t. Tobacco , yes. Alcohol , no. There is tonnes of alcohol advertising?? I think it just has limitations on when/where it is allowed to air.

For what it’s worth, I also noticed I was suddenly flooded with alcohol advertising on Facebook after I joined here. At first it was for “non-alcoholic” wine or whatever and then it was just all the real stuff. I definitely didn’t get it before I started sober journey, which is interesting. I know because I like to monitor what weird **** FB algorithm thinks I am in to. (I have to check FB stuff for work purposes and do not use it anymore in general. )
Old 03-02-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think all ads are annoying to be honest, whether they a about alcohol, weight loss plans, some kind of cat food, or whatever it might be. Having said that, no one is forcing me to watch any of it or shoving anything down my throat. If you truly don't like youtube ads there are plenty of adblocker packages that will block not only pop-up ads but even the in-video ads, just do an internet search and you'll find several.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I don't like to see those ads on social media or TV. And it's not because I'm an addict and I'm triggered. I don't like that it glorifies drinking - as it relates to my children. Some people say that they don't notice it and it doesn't bother them and that is fine, but I wonder how people would feel if they were advertising cocaine or meth? I mean some people do that responsibly.

At minimum they should be age restricted IMO. But I'm also a hypocrite and believe in ultimate free speech so there. I'm an idiot.
I believe in ultimate freedom of speech as well. I am tip toeing around the political aspect of this but is part of the trigger for me. If everything these days is being banned or not allowed due to causing harm to a certain group, why are alcoholics and drug addicts not being protected. Alcoholism affects all races, genders and economic groups. Not sure why a lightbulb went off in my head today but after reading further about alcohol and drugs something really should be done. 40 of violent crimes in USA are associated with drugs and alcohol. Not calling for a ban on alcohol or drugs as I am pretty libertarian but politics is in every aspect of our lives these days and you can't escape it. How is this issue not at forefront, Alcohol and drugs causes more deaths and damage to society then all these other issues probably combined. Especially during the pandemic, numbers have skyrocketed!

I feel many friends are supportive at first about one not drinking and then say come on just have a few! Just use some self control Then when things go wrong they view you as morally bad. We are all responsible for our actions and whether to pick up a bottle but we should not be punished for a disease we were born with. At this point I feel we should be protected from these companies. I feel people with substance abuse problems deserve to be treated with the same respect other groups get and feel we are constantly put down.. Sorry for ranting!.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are right about that Tanky. Thought about later. Banned on TV, but not all media.

There are still centre page spreads for alcohol in the Herald. No tobacco tho.

Thanks for pointing that out. Keep the fake news to a minimum.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Back on day 11 today, probably why I am feeling this way!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're doing alright Newbeginnings. 💡

Congrats.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I don't think that facebook picked up on my SR use, but I did used to get alcohol ads. One time I clicked on that 'why am I seeing this' icon and discovered I could opt out of some specific types of advertising and alcohol was one of them. I'm not on fb much anymore, but when I am, I never see alcohol ads anymore. Drizzly was pretty assertive with their emails to me once I'd purchased delivery of booze from them. There's a tiny link on every advertising email (somewhere) that allows 'unsubscribe' or 'update my email settings.' Some of them take a little bit of work, like you have to fill out a form, but it's really not that difficult if you're motivated,

11 Days in I could hear the liquor store calling me from a mile away without having any device turned on, but your post reminds me of how nice it is not to see those ads even though I don't think they'd really trouble me anymore.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi New

Having a rush of raw emotions can happen in early recovery. With no more alcohol to suppress emotions along with the effects of overall lessened brain function, lots of sober emotions can flood forward during recovery causing many symptoms, like irritability, anxiety and discomfort.

The good news is that there 'recovery tools' that address many of the emotional/ mental symptoms that can persist after achieving sobriety.

Keep at it, use the 'recovery tools' and your overall wellness will improve.
It works if you work it and work it because you are worth it.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
sober style

The headline here is the fantastic news that you have 11 days going, holding all the complexities of free market/free society expression issues constant.

Funny thing, I just rewatched the entire Mad Men series thru for the 3rd or 4th time, one of the greatest tv shows ever made btw. Advertising, freedom, self-expression, truth, responsibility, the marketplace, America. Lots of competing interests! Don Draper was fond of saying cynical things like this: "What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts."