Notices

Day one

Old 03-01-2021, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

I won’t get into my long story. I’ve used prescription opioids for pretty much 10 years now. Been off them from time to time but never completely ‘clean’ of everything. Today is day one of nothing. I put off waking up because I knew there wouldn’t be a pill to ‘perk’ me up for the day. I’ve laid in bed most of the day, sleeping on and off. The withdrawal symptoms have definitely started, I was a heavy user. Scared of what’s to come but I know I need to do this for my husband and two kids. I just want to feel ‘normal’ and not rely on substances to help me with my day to day emotions. Can’t believe it’s come to this. But I’m here. And I’m committed to getting better.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard RCD

You'll find a ton of support here. Its a good place to be

D
Old 03-02-2021, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Erica375

Welcome! I'm not sure what substance(s) you are detoxing from, but please remember you can ask your doctor for medical advice if things get rough. I know alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, but I don't know about other drugs.
In any case, keep posting! We'll cheer you on.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can do this and you will be better off for it.
Please stay close to SR and post as often as you need. We are here to support you!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, and glad you are here. Please be cautious going cold turkey from opiods. I believe it can be dangerous. Have you discussed with a doctor? There is no shame in seeking medical assistance in quitting addictions, many of us have done it.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RCD, I'm glad you've made the decision to stop using the drugs.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For those suggesting medical help - I’m in quite the conundrum because I’m a registered health professional and where I live it’s mandatory reporting. So it’s this or my job. I’m doing okay so far. 36 hours in. Have a limited supply of Valium that my husband is dispensing for symptomatic relief only. But I’m feeling it anyways, and it can only be described as hell really. I know I can do it though. A week or two of this and a lifetime of making amends for my stupid choices. I’m committed. I have to do this for my family, for my two boys, my husband, myself. I deserve better than this.

Thank you everyone for your support.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

RCD - It's so good to have you join us. You sound determined to get free - and we know you can.
It really helped me to read & keep posting here. My anxiety lessened when I knew I was no longer alone.
You mention making stupid choices - but none of us sets out to sabotage ourselves with alcohol & drugs. We find ourselves trapped, when we only intended to relax & escape our troubles for a while. Be kind to yourself as you begin this journey - you have a lot to look forward to.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
RCD - It's so good to have you join us. You sound determined to get free - and we know you can.
It really helped me to read & keep posting here. My anxiety lessened when I knew I was no longer alone.
You mention making stupid choices - but none of us sets out to sabotage ourselves with alcohol & drugs. We find ourselves trapped, when we only intended to relax & escape our troubles for a while. Be kind to yourself as you begin this journey - you have a lot to look forward to.
That’s very true. I never thought I could end up here, and certainly don’t feel like I ‘chose’ to, though a lot of people would say I have. I have to improve my negative self talk but I have a lot of self-blame running through me at the moment. Thank you for reminding me that I’m not alone. I feel so desperately alone and broken, even reading all the stories here. Will I ever feel like getting out of bed without the promise of an ‘escape’ again? It just seems so hard to believe.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there your post caught my attention because I am also a wife, mom of two and a healthcare professional. I am currently 78 days sober from alcohol but no experience with prescription drugs. I wanted to say welcome and let you know you CAN do this and things wills get better! Hugs.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family RCD! I like your determination to get clean for good. Attitude is half the battle.

We have lots of other forums too, if you want to occupy yourself/distract yourself from the withdrawals. We have a specific forum for substance abuse. Also a forum called Cafe Central, where many interesting topics are presented. It's not one of the recovery forums, but is a good place to spend time. There's even interactive word games.

I'm glad you found us and glad you've decided to get clean for good.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RCD91 View Post
I won’t get into my long story. I’ve used prescription opioids for pretty much 10 years now. Been off them from time to time but never completely ‘clean’ of everything. Today is day one of nothing. I put off waking up because I knew there wouldn’t be a pill to ‘perk’ me up for the day. I’ve laid in bed most of the day, sleeping on and off. The withdrawal symptoms have definitely started, I was a heavy user. Scared of what’s to come but I know I need to do this for my husband and two kids. I just want to feel ‘normal’ and not rely on substances to help me with my day to day emotions. Can’t believe it’s come to this. But I’m here. And I’m committed to getting better.
Welcome to SR
Today I am 292 days clean. I too am recovering from opiate abuse. Your last post says 36 hours. The symptoms will increase intense. I would suggest stay home and off work if possible. I went through withdrawal every two weeks because I would abuse my months prescription in two weeks then go through withdrawal then back again for my fix. I would kind of stick away from the other meds to cope with symptoms it's only going to hurt you and extend withdrawal. I'm not a medical professional just my experience. There is alot of members here that has helped me get past my two week program. Now PAWS is a beast. It hit me on my 4th month.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RCD91 View Post
For those suggesting medical help - I’m in quite the conundrum because I’m a registered health professional and where I live it’s mandatory reporting. So it’s this or my job. I’m doing okay so far. 36 hours in. Have a limited supply of Valium that my husband is dispensing for symptomatic relief only. But I’m feeling it anyways, and it can only be described as hell really. I know I can do it though. A week or two of this and a lifetime of making amends for my stupid choices. I’m committed. I have to do this for my family, for my two boys, my husband, myself. I deserve better than this.

Thank you everyone for your support.
I’ve come on here as I’m looking for inspiration and help for my day 1 (today) from alcohol as I’m currently pacing about trying not to go buy alcohol.

Your post has already give me some motivation so thank you for sharing. I hope you feel better soon, you seem determined and sounds like you’ll do it