Notices

Finding the joys of being sober

Old 03-01-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding the joys of being sober

One thing about being alcohol free that’s a huge adjustment is findings things to do for fun. I spent so many years where drinking was the only thing in my mind that was fun (until of course it wasn’t) I’m now trying to discover things (old and new) like hobbies, activities, foods that I just simply find joy in.

What are some things that bring you joy in your sober life?

Old 03-01-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SIB

Just getting things organized again has been a big enough job in itself! But I am planning camping trips this summer, home projects etc.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trying to achieve calm.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dog and two cats bring me a great deal of joy. Walking my little dog and snuggling with her at bedtime are two simple pleasures that always make me feel better.

I like to read too, and am finding that I have time to read now that I'm sober and clear headed.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Music, books, video games, spending time with my significant other, walking my dog (or at least will be again when my leg heals), cooking and generally not being hungover is pretty sweet.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Bodhi02 View Post
One thing about being alcohol free that’s a huge adjustment is findings things to do for fun. I spent so many years where drinking was the only thing in my mind that was fun (until of course it wasn’t) I’m now trying to discover things (old and new) like hobbies, activities, foods that I just simply find joy in.

What are some things that bring you joy in your sober life?
Boating! Water skiing! We just bought our first ski boat of our own today! My wife and kids and I have spent many years boating with extended family with a shared boat over the years. We've done hardly any boating the last 14 years because we moved out of state away from family - but now we are back! Oddly, we NEVER drank and boated. It was our hard and fast rule for safety - there's nothing sadder than reading about drunken boating fatalities - they almost always involve children.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The a good list here that may help spark ideas
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is an old stoic quote that helped me with this issue as I had the same problem (one of my biggest issues was the fear of missing out).

"The secret to happiness is not doing/having more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.".
Old 03-02-2021, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vincent484 View Post
There is an old stoic quote that helped me with this issue as I had the same problem (one of my biggest issues was the fear of missing out).

"The secret to happiness is not doing/having more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.".
I love that quote. Thank you Vincent!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vincent484 View Post

This quote is so true, Vincent, thanks. I discovered exactly that when I was newly sober and didn't know what to do. That said, I love hiking/walking and reading.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love that quote.

Sober life provides for physical fitness, time to read, peaceful sleep, the presence I've always wanted when I spend time with family and friends, the energy to maintain a nice home - in other words, every thing of meaning that I used to take for granted, neglect and forsake.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A rested mind.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My stamina has increased and increased. My sleep has gotten better and better. Everything is more enjoyable. My morning routine, vacations, shopping, driving....everything.

The addiction is weak in me now, but it is still there. Like a ghost, haunting me. But, I have had great success pushing the urges to relapse out and away. That is the curse of the addiction.

It is for life. It adds to my character. Battle hardened, cool, calm, grateful, and kind.

We are on day 4 of 6 at Disneyworld , FL. Walking 6 miles a day used to be so much more difficult for me.

I don't rip through it like I dream to, but I get it done and keep smiling the whole time.

I see folks boozing at spots around the park ($20 a drink) and I am sad for them. I know the booze is going to give them that short little buzz and then sap their energy hard. I wonder how many of them make it until closing time. I used to bring a water bottle filled with vodka. I would be so wasted. I never made it until closing. I was the king of the party poopers. So sad.

For all vacations since I changed my lifestyle to non drinking, Ive made it every night. Proud to be the first in and last out. That is how I try to roll these days.

I did push ups and stretches in the room yesterday since the walking does little for the upper body, and the legs get so tight.

That is how it is done for me.

Love love love.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
My stamina has increased and increased. My sleep has gotten better and better. Everything is more enjoyable. My morning routine, vacations, shopping, driving....everything.

The addiction is weak in me now, but it is still there. Like a ghost, haunting me. But, I have had great success pushing the urges to relapse out and away. That is the curse of the addiction.

It is for life. It adds to my character. Battle hardened, cool, calm, grateful, and kind.

We are on day 4 of 6 at Disneyworld , FL. Walking 6 miles a day used to be so much more difficult for me.

I don't rip through it like I dream to, but I get it done and keep smiling the whole time.

I see folks boozing at spots around the park ($20 a drink) and I am sad for them. I know the booze is going to give them that short little buzz and then sap their energy hard. I wonder how many of them make it until closing time. I used to bring a water bottle filled with vodka. I would be so wasted. I never made it until closing. I was the king of the party poopers. So sad.

For all vacations since I changed my lifestyle to non drinking, Ive made it every night. Proud to be the first in and last out. That is how I try to roll these days.

I did push ups and stretches in the room yesterday since the walking does little for the upper body, and the legs get so tight.

That is how it is done for me.

Love love love.

Thanks for the therapy.
I can really relate to this. I just returned from the Florida keys this past week ended and it was my first alcohol free vacation in about 10 years and it was the best vacation I think I’ve ever been on. We woke up early and we’re active and got to see everything we wanted to. If I had been drinking we probably would have done maybe a third of the activities. There were some tough moments especially when near Duval street in key west but I just kept thinking they’re having a good time now but they’ll be feeling sick later.

We got to see so many sunrises and sunsets.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I find the better I am feeling about myself the happier I become. things I let slide throughout my drinking career now fixing them and sorting them out give me the most joy...bills or debts, fitness, home improvements, relationships and diet..sounds sad but I genuinely enjoy ticking things of my list.
I still have the fear of missing out, but instead of the fear of not having fun, partying or getting drunk. My fear of missing out is focussed on time with my wife and son, fear of losing more friendships, losing my job, health, holidays and many other things.

sitting down at the end of a day when you have achieved all you can is a much greater high than what resides at the bottom of a bottle.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have the energy now to work a second job, which I really love. I cook quite a bit and do some volunteering. Early on I really examined and rethought my feelings on boredom. I ultimately concluded that I wasn't so much bored as I was unaccustomed to feeling calm and at peace. When I really worked on those feelings, I developed the really pleasurable ability to sit and enjoy an hour or two of quiet time during which I don't necessarily do anything productive. I just enjoy the quiet. That is something to do!!!
Old 03-03-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What do I enjoy?
Im really enjoying waking every morning without a hangover and going to bed each night sober.
I run/ weights most days of the week. I enjoy those activities a lot. Building strength and mileage has always been a passion of mine.
I enjoy reading.
The weather is changing and soon enough I will be out in the yard mowing and maintaining our space.
Life is really busy and my job requires a lot of brain power and energy. Down time is important. I enjoy lounging around and not having so much to do......

Old 03-03-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Enjoying a peaceful mind without being riddled with guilt and paranoia everyday