Notices

That crappy time of day

Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That crappy time of day

Not to beat the same ole drum, but just curious to know if anyone else has that time of day when the crappy feelings set in....

For me its that particular time of day in the late afternoon/early evening when I’m normally engaged in a case of beer....Just the same it usually lasts until I pass out around bedtime.

I know it’s the brain healing and rewiring from old habits to new ones but it’s a strange recovery indeed...
Old 03-01-2021, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

That crappy time of day

This year the crappy time of day has been Monday to Sunday.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

Any day, any time. I never know when the cravings will hit.
right now its because I'm hungry and my fiance went into the weed store 20 damn minutes ago and I'm waiting in the car.
how hard is it to buy weed! Go in, pick up a weed and leave!!?? Lol.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My time always hit around 4:30 pm because I was looking forward to and planning on drinking at 5:01 pm. I would come here everyday around 4:15 pm to beat the cravings and let people talk me off the ledge. It worked.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I call it the witching hour. In early recovery I knew if I got past the 6-9 pm hours I’d make it for the night. On bad days I’d just put myself to bed early. Felt like a pouty teenager being grounded but it was far better than the alternative of going back down the booze rabbit hole. You’ve been doing great! So like we’ve been saying it gets better, those intense craving hours will fade. I couldn’t believe it would ever happen that I’d be less bored, content when it was quiet and filling those hours with activity. Eventually I found myself doing chores before the weekend so I could hike. I got back into some console gaming as well. This 42 year old lady got platinum trophies on some big PS4 games. Now I study for a new IT cert. I exercise, I have dinner. Sometimes, I’m tired from work so just a quiet rest. The brain and body got used to not having the booze those hours anymore. Just as the body learned that’s what happens those hours, it can relearn that is NOT going to happen those hours and your time really opens up. I still enjoy the fact if I want to go somewhere or even pick up ice cream treat at 8 pm, I can! I’m not passed out. Re exploring the outside after hours is kinda exciting.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober 15 months and it is still my least favorite part of the day. Tired from work. Some nights have to get ready to go to my second gig. The booze industry definitely knows our common human condition. Hang in there Introvrtd and good for you for posting.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Something that has helped me in the past is remembering HALT. Hungry Angry Lonely tired. That time a day hunger and tiredness often kick in and if you used to go to the bar a lot of time after work loneliness can to. Usually getting some food and relaxing a bit before I let my mind race has really helped in past.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock;[url=tel:7599401
7599401[/url]]Any day, any time. I never know when the cravings will hit.
right now its because I'm hungry and my fiance went into the weed store 20 damn minutes ago and I'm waiting in the car.
how hard is it to buy weed! Go in, pick up a weed and leave!!?? Lol.
I hear ya anxiousrock My wife takes forever in the store she said she’s going into “right quick” while i wait patiently in the car
Old 03-01-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Something that has helped me in the past is remembering HALT. Hungry Angry Lonely tired. That time a day hunger and tiredness often kick in and if you used to go to the bar a lot of time after work loneliness can to. Usually getting some food and relaxing a bit before I let my mind race has really helped in past.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Sober 15 months and it is still my least favorite part of the day. Tired from work. Some nights have to get ready to go to my second gig. The booze industry definitely knows our common human condition. Hang in there Introvrtd and good for you for posting.
Thanks for your posts too Surrendered19
Old 03-01-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization;[url=tel:7599403
7599403[/url]]I call it the witching hour. In early recovery I knew if I got past the 6-9 pm hours I’d make it for the night. On bad days I’d just put myself to bed early. Felt like a pouty teenager being grounded but it was far better than the alternative of going back down the booze rabbit hole. You’ve been doing great! So like we’ve been saying it gets better, those intense craving hours will fade. I couldn’t believe it would ever happen that I’d be less bored, content when it was quiet and filling those hours with activity. Eventually I found myself doing chores before the weekend so I could hike. I got back into some console gaming as well. This 42 year old lady got platinum trophies on some big PS4 games. Now I study for a new IT cert. I exercise, I have dinner. Sometimes, I’m tired from work so just a quiet rest. The brain and body got used to not having the booze those hours anymore. Just as the body learned that’s what happens those hours, it can relearn that is NOT going to happen those hours and your time really opens up. I still enjoy the fact if I want to go somewhere or even pick up ice cream treat at 8 pm, I can! I’m not passed out. Re exploring the outside after hours is kinda exciting.
EXACTLY!! Thanks for the post!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
My time always hit around 4:30 pm because I was looking forward to and planning on drinking at 5:01 pm. I would come here everyday around 4:15 pm to beat the cravings and let people talk me off the ledge. It worked.
Yes!! LadyBug66!! A strange thing
Old 03-01-2021, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
That crappy time of day

This year the crappy time of day has been Monday to Sunday.
Oh noooo doggonecarl!!

Old 03-01-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been feeling it 24/7 recently.

Amazingly, sobriety makes it manageable.

Learn stuff about yourself too.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely;[url=tel:7599418
7599418]I've been feeling it 24/7 recently.

Amazingly, sobriety makes it manageable.

Learn stuff about yourself too.
Really?! Steely?! 24/7?! Wow I can’t imagine how you’ve dealt with that in early sobriety
Old 03-01-2021, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey introvrtd

I drank all day so there was no real time of day I felt cravings - I did find afternoons tough tho depression wise.
Thats gotten better with the right treatment and no self medicating though

Congrats on your progress through some obviously tough days man.

D
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I either walk, or I get on the bike and start pedaling, most afternoons when I used to start on the beer. It really helps and by the time I get back - no drinking thoughts at all.

You're doing great Introvrtd.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hey introvrtd

I drank all day so there was no real time of day I felt cravings - I did find afternoons tough tho depression wise.
Thats gotten better with the right treatment and no self medicating though

Congrats on your progress through some obviously tough days man.

D
Thanks Dee!! As always.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike;[url=tel:7599447
7599447[/url]]I either walk, or I get on the bike and start pedaling, most afternoons when I used to start on the beer. It really helps and by the time I get back - no drinking thoughts at all.

You're doing great Introvrtd.
Thanks advbike.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Not to beat the same ole drum, but just curious to know if anyone else has that time of day when the crappy feelings set in....

For me its that particular time of day in the late afternoon/early evening when I’m normally engaged in a case of beer....Just the same it usually lasts until I pass out around bedtime.

I know it’s the brain healing and rewiring from old habits to new ones but it’s a strange recovery indeed...
Used to be Sunday afternoons for me..... the dread of Monday looming. The dread of my hamsterwheel existence. The sense of impending DOOM of the coming week.

I've also had the evenings after a long day be a sort of trigger at times in my life. A time when the momentum of the day shifted into a feeling of stress and exhaustion that often called to be 'filled up' with jugs of beer or vodka.

Those days are long gone, thankfully. In early years of recovery I came to proactively try to head those off.... timing walks in nature, a run, a trip to the gym, going to a movie or setting in with a cup of tea and a book to intentionally shift focus and create a new set of habits.

Hang in there!