Notices

The sober life for good Weekenders 26 February - 1 March 2021

Old 02-26-2021, 03:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders.

Good to have you along for another weekend RUL23. I think it was you who said your were planning a campus walk at Stanford University last week. It inspired me to have a look on the Internet. Quite amazing!

Dog theft must be one of the most unconscionable acts imaginable.

Look’s like we are in for quite a thunderstorm.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Beautiful picture Captain.

We microchip our companioun animals here in the U.S. I worked in a shelter for a while and the chips are about the size of a grain of rice and are inserted in the scruff of the neck with a syringe-type tool. No stitches or anything. Then they can be scanned at any vet or shelter at any time. I think it is helpful for lost/runaways, I have mine registered online in case...I don't think that would help deter theft but it is an actual tracking device in an animal.

I'm told the zoo animals have trackers that are GPS enabled (some of the animals, like the big ones, or those who would create a problem if they got out...) At least that's what I'm told, I never know who or what to believe when I hear something at the zoo. 800 volunteers, and it's just one big game of telephone. For sure all the raptors wear a radio transmitter on their leg with an antenna trailing when they're out of their cages on free-flight exhibitions, but I don't know how you'd put something like a radio transmitter on a lion or gorilla without being able to see it - like a collar?
Old 02-26-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Magsie

Beautiful Clouds CaptainHaddock

Bim, yes that’s what’s needed here gps enabled trackers but under the skin. Wonder if that would help.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Decades ago - when $100,000 was a lot of Money - Alice Cooper paid his former Bandmates that amount annually to use the 'Alice Cooper' name w/o legal blowback. The larger, intentional good was that this provided some of them a means to survive in spite of their Addictions that precluded performing. He also let it be known that you could call him anytime to talk, and to get directed toward help. If you wanted to tackle an Addiction. He's one of those Gents who just gets on with it behind the scenes. He also played at the Oz Fires Fundraiser ~1 Year ago.

Alice Cooper Live In Australia ~ 2020

I bought the Micro-chipped MesaPup a Tracking Collar, and will be altering our Routines when in populated areas, or at Highway Rest Stops. What Technology doesn't thwart, the recommended tactic of Situational Awareness - and my Concealed Carry Permit - will. The World we live in, eh?

Tried out the 30x max Zoom on my new Samsung 21 Phone this Morning as dawn broke. To my utter astonishment, this Phone detected 5G Service off the huge Cell Tower a few Miles away, and hit Download Speeds of ~105 Megs/Second. Modern Life!

Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Great pics Captain and Mesa.

My dogs are micochipped but unfortunately that doesn't stop thieves and unless scanned doesn't give any information as to whereabouts.

The dogs and I have had a lovely day. We went out at 10 and didn't get home till 3 - exhausted!

Old 02-26-2021, 09:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks CK!

It has been a lovely day here, I went to Victoria Park, a large park about a mile from my place. It was certainly busy, much busier than it would normally be in February. Last time I went I arrived during the aftermath some drama, the lakes were frozen over and a puppy had been rescued after getting stuck in it chasing a duck, the owner had to wade in break the ice with his hands. Both puppy and owner were fine. At the time I assumed someone had fallen in but I later read about on local online news.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:17 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lovely pic of the moon MesaMan. It’s good to be prepared for all eventualities for the safety of our beloved pets.

Kaily, it looks a beautiful day. Great photos. Alfie and Daisy will have loved it.

Saou, I’m pleased the guy rescued his dog when you was there last. Frozen lakes and people aren’t safe.
Is it half term there, with the park being busy?

Old 02-26-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think it was just the nice weather and lockdown fatigue Mags. Most people live in flats (apartments) so no access to a garden. That includes me. At least I didn't notice much drinking going on, it was noticable last summer.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Lovely photos this weekend
I will see if I can get some pics of nature here, although it looks like a rainy weekend, so perhaps not.
Yes we’re really enjoying the rain, it was sorely needed here, and the temp has dropped to about 28C which is a refreshing change after the heat
Old 02-26-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So how does this work ? I just add myself in and declare that I’ll be sober all weekend ? If it’s as simple as that, I’m in ! :-)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

^ Welcome aboard, Icandothis
Old 02-26-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ICDT

D
Old 02-26-2021, 07:27 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to Weekenders Icandothis
Old 02-26-2021, 07:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Morning Mags!

Thanks for the thread as always. I think I'm settling into a sober life for good as far as I can tell. Certainly I have no other intention.

I had a beautiful day in the sunshine here yesterday though was a bit alarmed by the crowds out and about. There's a skateboard area in the biggest local park that was very crowded with kids. Worrying, but they'll all be back at school together next week so I suppose there's not much use in breaking them up now. The rate of decline of covid cases in the UK is now starting to slow and showing signs of levelling off at a still fairly high level. Let's hope the vaccine helps.

Good to see you back Sao, great pics Mesa, Bim and Kaily. Hi Andy, Willow, Robbie, Captain, MLD and Caramel. Welcome ICDT and hello to anyone I've missed!

Best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
So how does this work ? I just add myself in and declare that I’ll be sober all weekend ? If it’s as simple as that, I’m in ! :-)
Yes that simple! And we chat about this, that, and sobriety. Welcome.

Anyone seen the snow moon this morning? Its nice and clear here so I have a good view. My phone camera would have no hope of picturing it, much as I would love to. Mesa's 5G picture is impressive but the technicality of how it was achieved is beyond my understanding.

Hoping for another day of sunshine today, everyone was smiling yesterday apart from one grumpy cyclist that nearly ran Alfie over. He was going far too fast on a shared path, we had words!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:39 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily thanks for that! I thought I’d missed the moon but there it was bright as anything! I can’t get a good pic of it though.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:32 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Welcome to the weekend thread Icandothis, hello to Forwards and to all

Another lovely day today. I'll be heading out for my usual Saturday walk once I've had my breakfast.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Look’s like we are in for quite a thunderstorm.
So Captain, did you get a super thunderstorm?
Looks like it judging by those clouds.
Just curious to know the final score

I just woke up and I'm still amazed to get up WITHOUT any hangover on every Saturday.
Boy I was a mess on Saturday mornings in my active life...grateful it's now behind.

Have a good day Weekenders

Old 02-27-2021, 03:20 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

That moon image Mesa posted is impressive!

Did Alfie catch that frog?

Welcome, icandoit! Keep coming back and posting with us.

Hi, Forwards
Old 02-27-2021, 03:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

^
Hello Canadian Koala and bim

I've been for my walk and I also walked down to my dad's flat to check everything was OK with the flat (I can't start to look towards selling it until probate has been granted and it's taking ages due to Covid, with staff shortages and staff working from home). I bumped into an old drinking friend of mine who I haven't seen since before the first lockdown last March. He didn't look too great and he said he was drinking a litre bottle of vodka each day as well as beers on an evening. Most of the chat was about alcohol in one way or another. As much as I like to see people, in the end I was sort of glad to say goodbye to him and carry on shopping. It was like stepping back into a lifestyle I sincerely hope I've left behind for good. No triggers for a drink afterwards, thankfully. Sometimes bumping into old drinking buddies can bring on a craving. All I wanted this time was to get home and have a cup of tea.