Notices

Anybody out there?

Old 02-21-2021, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody out there?

I've posted here a few times and I appreciate every little bit of support that you all have given me. I can't seem to get out of this dark place and I wonder if anyone has any helpful hints or ideas to get me to a better place where I can really tackle this
Old 02-21-2021, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What dark place? What's going on?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
What dark place? What's going on?
I just feel like there's no hope for me. I don't know anything else for the last 10 years then alcohol to cope with life. I don't think I can handle life. I'm in such a spot that I'm not sure how to get out of
Old 02-21-2021, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joey

well alot of people have made suggestions that involve leaving the house, and you';ve said you won;t do that cos you have a sick car.

So... what about things you can do from home - online meetings - whether it be AA or SMART or some other meeting based method - and using telehealth to access a doctor,or some kind of medical professional if you are worried about withdrawal?

you could probably use SR moire too -post daily - even multiple times a day...having support when we need it, to help us through the tough times, is invaluable.

I was in a dark place too, but I got out thanks to the community here. Give it a try

D

Old 02-21-2021, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joey, I was a very dark place, too. It's really scary to face giving up alcohol when you don't know what else there is to help you. It takes a leap of faith, Joey. Believe that there is a better life for you and that you deserve good things in your life.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best advice I ever got I'll share with you - practice gratitude every day. Each day when you wake up, be grateful that you're alive, and each night when you go to bed, be grateful you have a bed to sleep in. Anything works, you can be grateful for any little thing.

And the more you are grateful for, the more you'll find to be grateful for. Being grateful can make you happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 02-21-2021, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Most of us can't do it alone. Kudos to you for reaching out to SR.

For some, this website is enough to get on the road to recovery and stay on it. Others need AA, rehab, or help with mental health. There is absolutely no shame in amassing every bit of support you can. In some ways one of the biggest steps is realizing how serious addiction is and what it will take to overcome it.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Almost 5 months ago I was in the worst place imaginable. I honestly didn't recognize who I was or how I even got to the place I was in. I was desperate for change and scared out of my mind to change. It was all so terrifying. I decided that I needed to "ground" myself.

My plan of action for relief:
I structured my mornings to wake in sobriety by logging on here.
Run or weights before going to my full time job. Even if my head said otherwise.
Started eating breakfast before work.
Made sure to eat enough food to keep level through the day. I was all over the place.
After work, I drank hot tea and took a bath or shower to get the day off and destress.
Ate dinner.
Logged onto an AA meeting with SR close by.
Participated on SR until I fell asleep.

This was my routine every single day for months. It was tough going at first. My head all over the place.
The structure allowed the light to come into my days. I started to feel happier, stable and cared for because I was caring for myself in a way that truly mattered. I also firmly believed that I would get better. It took me awhile. It took a lot of energy. The result is someone who has sobriety and is content in sobriety. Sure, I have my days. We all do. The hard days are a breeze compared to the hungover/ alcohol induced days.

This forum saved my ass quite a few times. People helped me when I was really struggling. I only needed to reach out. Please know you can get better and you will get better. Get yourself a plan and stick to it no matter what.
Structure yourself in a way where alcohol has no room in your life.

I know you can do this!