Notices

Liver pain

Old 03-05-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks Anna, fingers crossed. Feeling positive 😀😀😀
Old 03-05-2021, 02:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I have pain in that area too and have had a cat scan and it's a kidney stone, I didn't realise how high up the kidneys were. I had been worried it was my liver but thankfully its not..
Old 03-06-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks for reply Red78 what is your plan now? Are you still drinking? I'm 20 days clean today as a result of shock from the liver pain. I wanted to quit anyway as it was causing to many problems in my life and for my own health anyway. My sleeping in gradually getting better but have aches and pains and memory and cognitive issues.I am putting these issues down to post withdrawal symptoms and my body and mind is healing ...just getting old at 59 too .... thanks Red78 please let us know how you are getting on with your kidney stones, thanks, as my pain which is still there might be the same issue ?????
Old 03-06-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddy123 View Post
Thanks for reply Red78 what is your plan now? Are you still drinking? I'm 20 days clean today as a result of shock from the liver pain. I wanted to quit anyway as it was causing to many problems in my life and for my own health anyway. My sleeping in gradually getting better but have aches and pains and memory and cognitive issues.I am putting these issues down to post withdrawal symptoms and my body and mind is healing ...just getting old at 59 too .... thanks Red78 please let us know how you are getting on with your kidney stones, thanks, as my pain which is still there might be the same issue ?????
Congratulations on 20 days, it's no small feat even getting to day 2.
I think things will only get better Paddy, it may take some time as we wreck our bodies with alcohol and it doesn't reverse overnight, although that would be nice but I reckon the better sleep from quitting is the best thing.
I am still drinking but had been hoping to stop on Monday as I want to start a detox for myself, which isn't based around detoxing from alcohol but from toxins and I also want toxic behaviour outta my life and drinking everyday is one of them, plus all the knock-on effects of not living life that comes with it. I also have a home environment that for me is toxic and drinking just keeps me here and keeps me from really looking at it and looking at myself..

In terms of the kidney stone I think it's been there for awhile and the urology nurses I work with said it will pass one day but it's gonna hurt like hell.
I don't know where you live but can you get referred for a scan? I had the scan done last week and it scanned all the organs and they all came back fine except for the kidney stone. There is also a gallbladder tucked in behind a liver that causes pain when you get gallstones, so there a several things in the same area.
I hope you figure out what it is..

Old 03-07-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi Red 78 thanks for your reply. Good luck with Monday and I wish you well. I had an ultrasound during the week and all ok except a 1.3cm simple cyst on kidney. I dont think that is my problem I actually think I have some sort of infection? I had bloods done for liver and dont know if they show up infections ??.anyway I speak to my doctor in the morning about my flank pain..it not noticable today but normally comes in the evening time. I use a hot water bottle to ease pain while I am in bed at night. Otherwise today I'm suffering bad fatigue from PAWs and my memory and cognitive function is shot.im in park now with my kids as it's a lovely sunny day a d trying to get some walking in to help me sleep tonight. I have been here before with PAWs and this time it's harder, probably due to kindling. I have no choice but to ride the storm and hope i get better day by day. Good luck Red 78. Take care.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:33 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi everyone just an update on my progress and pain. 22 days clean today🙂🙂 looking forward to 30 day mark and beyond. I had my meeting yesterday with my doctor regarding my right flank pain. Since my ultrasound was all clear and liver bloodwork good he had another examination and concluded that my pain was coming from my lung and that I possibly have an infection there. I am now on a 3 tablet a day of amoxicillin a penicillin type antibiotic to see if it clears my pain in my side. So I'm praying it clears up in a few days or week ?? My paws symptoms have resided a little but still have a Wolly head with memory issues. I know I'm healing and ofter wonder why did I ever consume that toxin in the first place. I think society has a pot to answer for when it even allows a poison to be sold.. rambling here now, but in top form this morning and looking forward to getting better on all fronts. Have a lovely day everyone and God bless you all and SR for you help in my hours of need.Thank you. I will give a further update on my progress regards the antibiotics and I hope that they work.😀😀 bye for now.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:05 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good news on the liver paddy, must be a relief. One of my first quits 10 years or so ago, I got the all clear and immediately went back to drinking, my AV took it as vindication and coerced me into years more abuse.. what I am clumsily trying to say, if the pain goes with the tablets and the scans are all clear don’t get sucked back into drinking.. weirdly you are more vulnerable now than when the fear and pain drove you to quit.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi Haris2014, thanks for your reply and yes the AV was there saying....
. you can go on the **** now. You have the all clear. Still have to finish my antibiotics which I started yesterday and pain has eased substantially already. I have been here many times before but this one is different???? I'm looking at my kids and me being the sole breadwinner I want to quit for good. Its affecting my physical and mental health. As I mentioned in a previous post I work overseas mostly in dry countries in the middle east. I'm currently waiting on my visa to join an oil/gas project there and need to have my head working 100 %. My rotation will be 3 months so I will be 4 months clean upon my return. I was considering joining some online support forum (not AA) while away in desert. But SR also fills my needs. So yes the AV was active but I have hit the wall returning to the bottle and have a new plan and now saving to buy/build a new house or apartments for my kids. When I look back now with a clear head (well more to go in head department) I feel guilty now for my stupidity and willful squandering squandering. All for nothing. QED.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Interesting about the work in Middle East. My alcoholic father was an engineer, and spent his last 7 working years in Saudi Arabia, running several Gas-Oil separation plants for Aramco. He did quite well because he couldn't drink, although he took his break to Singapore or wherever every few months and probably did. But overall things went well until they promoted him back to the US to work on the North Sea project, whereupon he quickly resumed drinking, lost his job, burned through most of his cash and and was practically homeless within a year. We got him settled and onto retirement pension but he kept drinking and it eventually took his life less than ten years later.

Good luck to you Paddy, I hope you take advantage of the situation there to stay sober for good.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:56 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Just want to mention that I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm rooting for you to have success!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:35 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi D51 DMustang,
yes going to Libya this time. One of the stritist Muslim countries around. Working on oil and gas projects. I specialize in Contracts and will be monitoring 6 oil wells in Sahara desert, but based in Tripoli. From my last trips to Saudi I used to slip over to Bahrain at weekend for the poison. It's an x Brit colony I think. I would die for days upon my return to Saudi. I go next week if visa is processed by then.?? It's easy for me in middle east north Africa as I speak enough Arabic to get bye. I also speak my native tongue of Gaelic (Irish) if you speak Gaelic its very easy to speak Arabic and some words are the same. I asked my dad RIP many years ago who was this possible? He told me that the Celts originally came from Persian region and their language gelled into Gaelic language some 4-5 thousand years BC. 23 days clean today, still taking antibiotics and hoping will be good soon. Bye for now as school run 😀😀😀
Old 03-10-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your good test results Paddy, and I hope your pain is resolved soon! Also very interesting about your professional/travel plans. I'm a globe-trotter myself and love to explore different places and cultures in combination with finding good work opportunities, but so far have only lived in various parts of Europe and the US long-term. Spending some time in Asia is on the list for the future, maybe in a few years. I agree that we need to be careful how we engage in these new adventures in sobriety and I hope you will post about yours in the future, it's great to see how people with similar lifestyle choices do everything in recovery.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:19 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Must be some interesting Middle East stories of the drinking variety. I would’ve refused to go there as a drinker. I did work for a year in North Africa but always had my beer nearby. It took a lot of planning especially during Ramadan. I hated it, but a lot of it was due to the scarcity of alcohol. I’d probably quite like it there now.

Doing great, Paddy 👍
Old 03-10-2021, 07:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

How's everything going Paddy?
Old 03-11-2021, 02:20 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi to everyone and Waterox 😀 long time... bad nights sleep. Just Woke up with headache but hey it's a new day on day 24 😄😄. It might be the antibiotics or just PAWs..not bothered as I am healing. I dont want to say anything about my side pain yet as it is not felt until I get moving?? Will fill you in on some crazy stories from jungles of Somatra to Montgomery, Alabama. Have a nice day everyone talk soon.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddy123 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new here. I'm an alcoholic and 6 days without alcohol. The reason I quit was due to a pain in my right upper quadrant. I went to the doctor and he has taken my blood for analysis which I will know results next week. I'm so afraid I have chorrisis of the liver. My doctor said I have an angry liver and will be ok if i quit drinking and eat right etc. in a few weeks. I'm so afraid. So afraid i quit and I'm taking campral and vitamins to help me. I'm just wondering if this has ever happened to you and how long it took for liver pain to go. Thanks.
I had this pain pretty much all the time when I was active in my addiction. A few very good things up front:
  • You went to a doctor. That's actually a huge step.
  • The liver is a remarkably resilient organ.
Because your health is suffering, you're likely to feel some very positive effects after a few months of not drinking. Stay the course, join the latest class, and stick with it . You can do it!!
Old 03-11-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks Evoo, yes indeed I need a few months at least for my body to recover. When I think of the abuse I gave it, its horrific. Stay safe.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:08 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi paddy! Glad you are doing so well with your sobriety, that is awesome. I just wanted to thank you for the cool little fact about the Arabic to Gaelic language. That is so neat. I had tried briefly to learn both (and gave up very quickly) as both pertain to my heritage. Haha, those are some tough languages!!
Keep doing what you doing!!
Old 03-11-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks Babycat, day 24 nearly over. I dont know if the sickness i feel is from the post withdrawal I.e. kindling as was here twice before or the side effects of the antibiotics I'm taking or from my side pain..but to be honest its probably all drink withdrawal related.. yes I asked my dad a native Gaelic speaker how come I could understand the Moroccans while working there. He told me that it is a because of the Pheonesians who migrated into northwest Europe many years before Christ. I bought a translation book from English to Arabic and picked it up very quickly. So much so that the English men I worked with refused to go to the pub unless I went with them so they could talk (through me) with the locals in the pub. Upon going to Saudi..drink free... and if I spoke my dialect of Arabic the Saudis could tell which town in Morocco I learnt my Arabic because of my accent. Fyi the Arabic spoken in morocco and north Africa is know as Arabic of the Megreabh whereas Arabic in the middle east is known as Koranic Arabic and quite different...but they can still understand each if you get my drift, sorry for rambling lol night night 😴😴😴
Old 03-11-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Not rambling at all Paddy. That is absolutely fascinating. I love it.
Hope you start getting some relief very soon!!