Notices

Liver pain

Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Liver pain

Thanks everyone for your replys. Yes, its the big wakeup call for me, dam lucky to have this second chance. Have a nice day 😀😀😀
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Blood tests only tell part of the story. Good news is even in cases where people had fatty liver or even some scaring. They can get better. Number one of course is stop drinking. Then healthy low fat diet and exercise. Then give it time. Liver can heal. My doctor told me take vitamin E and milk thistle. And drink 2 cups brewed black coffee a day. Studies show this can help.

Keep up regular doctor visits. And don’t go back to the booze. Try AA if you can’t stop on your own.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It took me about 4 months of being sober for the pain to go away. It does come back every so often even without drinking.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mine bothered me for awhile until I stopped drinking. Blood test came back with elevated liver enzymes and I knew it was a ticking time bomb. A couple years sober now and my blood tests show a "normal" liver.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Drinking will kill you! Never put the drink to your lips again. I was in the same situation. I am 111 days sober today. I still crave the bottle occasionally. I think that it is more of the act itself that I miss. I drink sparkling water every night, all evening. I try not to think about drinking booze. I Focus on eating & exercising. I choose Life over alcohol. Alcohol is poison. It will kill you!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Liver pain

Thanks all for your comments. 1 week clean from alcohol today. I feel terrible, liver pain is still there, plus nausea, trembling in gut, depression, depersonilation, head melts, guilt, malaise etc. Eating healthier and exercising every day. As Dee said above it it take time!!. Take care everyone
Old 02-22-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm yet another one in a similar position to you. Started to get dull pain in the liver, and other weird discomforts and feelings inside my abdomen. It was alarming, and I was terrified, for a couple weeks thinking maybe I had already consigned myself to death, before I hopped on this forum. So far it seems I'm going to make it, but after about 6 weeks I still have these symptoms, but I would say it has reduced by almost half. Still waiting on bloods and a second doctors follow up, but I don't need test results to know that I was putting my body under more stress than it could handle.

You're probably going to be ok if you stop now. But you can be damn sure where this leads if you don't. It motivated me to stop and never look back.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey there! Congratulations on the first steps towards living a more fulfilling life! Yeah in my last drinking I was having the same pains. I never went to the doctor. They would clear up in a couple days and I'd drink again. Then I'd continue that process on repeat. Yikes...
I have not had any return of that since I got sober. If you are sober and truly from within you want to stay that way, it will be unlikely you ever have to deal with this again Great news!
Old 02-22-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the week Paddy

D
Old 02-22-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well done on the week without booze!

Your post took me back to those days of every twinge being a sign of needing a liver transplant.
I used to study my eyes for hours to see if I had signs of yellow.
I used to cross check every sign of liver failure to my symptoms.

I was not well a few months ago and my GP asked for loads of blood work doing.
Due to Covid we had a consultation every morning over the phone as he was titrating me quickly to a large dose of BP medication.
Whenever he asked if I had been for the bloods I got nervous and made excuses.
He ended up getting really fed up with me and said what is wrong with you? Why will you not go for bloods doing?

In the end I just came out with it and said I'm frightened that you are going to tell me I need a liver transplant.
I didn't share all the gory details but said in my late 20's and 30's, I drank more than I should have done.
A lot more.
Now I am 9 years without a drink but I am petrified my liver is severely damaged.
I can't face telling my family that I need a new liver and I cant have one because its all my fault.
I ended the confession with something like there, now you know. I'm sorry.

He started laughing and said I had done really, really well. In fact he used the words you have done marvellously.
He promised me I wouldn't need a new liver.
So I had the blood tests done and he rang me with the results.
He said your liver is 120% healthy.
Your kidneys are not.
You are renally impaired.

I actually cried tears of happiness over the phone that I had not destroyed my liver.
I didn't give a fig about my kidneys.
He did end the phone call with a recommendation for professional help with my "strange thinking" patterns.
I felt like saying, it's not just me Dr K.
I can take you to an online place where there are hundreds of folk who have the same thought processes as me.

I don't think I will ever forget the relief of that phone call......or his laughter.
The best doctor ever.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Well done on the week without booze!

Your post took me back to those days of every twinge being a sign of needing a liver transplant.
I used to study my eyes for hours to see if I had signs of yellow.
I used to cross check every sign of liver failure to my symptoms.

I was not well a few months ago and my GP asked for loads of blood work doing.
Due to Covid we had a consultation every morning over the phone as he was titrating me quickly to a large dose of BP medication.
Whenever he asked if I had been for the bloods I got nervous and made excuses.
He ended up getting really fed up with me and said what is wrong with you? Why will you not go for bloods doing?

In the end I just came out with it and said I'm frightened that you are going to tell me I need a liver transplant.
I didn't share all the gory details but said in my late 20's and 30's, I drank more than I should have done.
A lot more.
Now I am 9 years without a drink but I am petrified my liver is severely damaged.
I can't face telling my family that I need a new liver and I cant have one because its all my fault.
I ended the confession with something like there, now you know. I'm sorry.

He started laughing and said I had done really, really well. In fact he used the words you have done marvellously.
He promised me I wouldn't need a new liver.
So I had the blood tests done and he rang me with the results.
He said your liver is 120% healthy.
Your kidneys are not.
You are renally impaired.

I actually cried tears of happiness over the phone that I had not destroyed my liver.
I didn't give a fig about my kidneys.
He did end the phone call with a recommendation for professional help with my "strange thinking" patterns.
I felt like saying, it's not just me Dr K.
I can take you to an online place where there are hundreds of folk who have the same thought processes as me.

I don't think I will ever forget the relief of that phone call......or his laughter.
The best doctor ever.
this sounds very similar to me and my mindset. I was diagnosed with OCD. Something that runs in my family and is clearly in my life as well as alcohol. Probably a big reason I drank.

OCD is a hellluva disease. Not saying this for sure relates to you. But it for sure did me.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Liver pain

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replys and support. My liver pain has halved today, 8 days after onset. I only noticed it after lunchtime while out walking. Feeling positive and looking forward (but still nervous) to my blood results end of this week. I stopped taking my Campral yesterday and other vitemens as I believe I am now getting all my required nutrients from my diet. All except a vitemen B complex. I did have a craving attack about 3pm today but ignored it. This liver pain has scared me so much I will never drink again. I know it will take me months to get over this from previous experiences. What will help me is a new job I have secured in KSA (Saudi Arabia) where I have worked many times before and where Alcohol is forbidden. 3 months rotation and then spend quality time with my family. (2 kids and 1 teenager at university) I will be sticking close to S.R. Thanks all again you have been my rock in my hours of need 😀
Bless you all 😀😀😀
Old 02-26-2021, 06:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

One advice on quitting forever: join a group. Because the AlcoholDevil like I call it will wait patiently until you feel better and have forgotten your pain. Stay resilient the rest of your life please.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Paddy, in (I think) November they found a heterogenous and coarse liver on my ultrasound from 30 years of hard drinking. It is officially cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is not a death sentence. And if caught early can end up taking no years off of your life.

That being said, the moment I found out I was so devastated and sad (for my kids) that I could potentially die from all of my drinking it made who in the world could drink after a terrible scare like that? I sat in a parking lot for 30 minutes - my life running through my head. My kids at my funeral. My friends and everyone else saying, "I told you so".

Who in the world would ever drink again? Um...so...uh...ME! I've had two bad benders since then. My point is the bad news (if that's what you find out) is not enough to keep some of us from drinking. There needs to be some program of recovery in my opinion.

Wishing you the best, but man, put down the bottle!
Old 02-27-2021, 05:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddy123 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new here. I'm an alcoholic and 6 days without alcohol. The reason I quit was due to a pain in my right upper quadrant. I went to the doctor and he has taken my blood for analysis which I will know results next week. I'm so afraid I have chorrisis of the liver. My doctor said I have an angry liver and will be ok if i quit drinking and eat right etc. in a few weeks. I'm so afraid. So afraid i quit and I'm taking campral and vitamins to help me. I'm just wondering if this has ever happened to you and how long it took for liver pain to go. Thanks.
Just to put your mind at ease:
Cirrhosis has obvious signs that your doctor would notice immediately and would have likely hospitalized you.
The best thing you can do is just what he said. Don't consume alcohol and eat healthy.

Just a personal story - when I was binge drinking, I would have yellow eyes for days after and tremendous abdominal pain for at least day one and day two. Alcohol was wrecking havoc on my mind and body, day in day out. I am healthy today at almost eight months sober.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Paddy, in (I think) November they found a heterogenous and coarse liver on my ultrasound from 30 years of hard drinking. It is officially cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is not a death sentence. And if caught early can end up taking no years off of your life.

That being said, the moment I found out I was so devastated and sad (for my kids) that I could potentially die from all of my drinking it made who in the world could drink after a terrible scare like that? I sat in a parking lot for 30 minutes - my life running through my head. My kids at my funeral. My friends and everyone else saying, "I told you so".

Who in the world would ever drink again? Um...so...uh...ME! I've had two bad benders since then. My point is the bad news (if that's what you find out) is not enough to keep some of us from drinking. There needs to be some program of recovery in my opinion.

Wishing you the best, but man, put down the bottle!
If you have a cirrhosis diagnosis, please don't ever drink again.
It's Russian Roulette - if you lose too much of your liver, you can't survive without a transplant. And dying that way is absolute misery.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Liver pain

Hi Guys/Girls, thanks for your replys. I'm on 12 days now toxic free. I still have pain in my right quadrant, not sore but dull and aware of it. My doctor didn't ring me with my blood results as they are so busy administrating Covid vaccines. Really pissed off as now thinking the worst like results so bad he didn't want to tell me. I know that's stupid but but it's in my head. I should know this Monday as results were returned last Thursday. Busy in parks with my kids running and playing. Eating and sleeping good. Well it takes a while for the brain to calm down before I get to sleep. Also I lost my job and going through a marriage separation which doesn't help with sleep either. Along with right side pain I also am having some cognitive issues and memory issues. So worried? I stopped the campral and only take B vitemen complex and occasional milk thistle. Dont know if they help or not. Anyway, I will know more on Monday should I get contact with my doc. I even contemplated going to AnE with my pain so see if they can scan my liver or other tests but put off as afraid of getting Covid 19 there. I keep thinking the worst like I have liver cancer as my pain has not gone away at 12 days in. I will give you update on Monday. Please pray for me and sorry for long rant. Bless you.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I’d stick with the Campral. It sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate, and a “quick drink“ to calm the nerves could be tempting.

Don’t be too worried about the aches. Mine went on for months and it was “just” fatty liver - not that I’m downplaying that. You’re doing OK.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Liver pain

Thanks Hodd much appreciated. Yes tempting indeed but got to stick with it.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Another of the many benefits of quitting. Your liver can actually recover if it isn’t destroyed. Mine was sore- my enzymes were 50%+ over the high end of the scale. I quit drinking 1001 days ago. My liver numbers are on the low end of the scale now and no pain.