I tried it sober I tried it drunk

Old 02-19-2021, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Same
Old 02-19-2021, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give sober another go BABM. You may not see a right difference now but there is one and its palpable,

D
Old 02-19-2021, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find that difficult to believe BABM.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tried what? Life?

I had the shittiest day on record yesterday. I've never felt so low. And then I haven't slept over night, probably as a result.

I realised as I went to bed last night that to drink after such a day would be, for me, an act of open self-harm. I was feeling bad and so I'll drink, really hurt myself good and proper. But I don't want to hurt myself any more, I want to heal.

Its madness BABM. If things are not good then drinking on them will just make things a million times worse. I cannot believe there is no difference, and I cannot believe that being sober is not a positive difference. If life is crap then that's the reality, sometimes it is. But being drunk doesn't make it less crap, it just adds in a whole load of other problems.

(I'm often reminded of Jay-Z at times like this, cos I got 99 problems but drink aint one)

Come on BABM you can do this!
Old 02-19-2021, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find it difficult to believe simply because I have experienced the horrors of drinking BABM.

Getting and being sober is not easy, but it's not an horror show.

My experience only, BABM.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there , give it another go

you’ve been around a long time like me , let’s nail it together this time
Old 02-20-2021, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sobriety and recovery from alcoholism is a life long journey. There is always room and a need for continual growth. It takes time and work to recover and it’s a very gradual process in my experience. Patience is a virtue in recovery and as the saying goes “don’t stop until the miracle happens’. It will happen if you want it badly enough and do the right things and use all of the support possible. It’s not easy but it’s worth it.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also an integrity in sobriety that drunk cannot hope to achieve.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How long did you 'Try it Sober'?

In what ways was it 'Same'?

And why did you try it sober at all? Was drunk working out well?

In my experience, I tried it sober, I tried it drunk... I tried it sober some more.... tried it drunker.... tried it sober a few more times.... then finally realized I'd never truly tried it sober.

Then I finally didn't TRY IT SOBER ANYMORE.

Instead, I embraced my life as a cherished gift and I got serious about treating it as such.... I did that with ACTIONS in sobriety and....

Every. Thing. Changed.

Not right away.

Wasn't "easy".

It wasn't a pink cloud of unicorn fur.

But my life, over time, became something I consider a tremendous blessing.

I hope you'll keep at it. You deserve it.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I thought so too. For a really long time. Getting sober wasn't so much the problem for me, it was living sober day in and day out that was the problem.

I don't think it's the same for you drinking or sober, but I sure can relate. It was SO hard for me, BABM. I feel for you, I do.

Put down the drink, then we can help you to find a way to put down your other burdens.

O
Old 02-20-2021, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Same

Then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What is the same?
Old 02-20-2021, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did the Mars landing make you proud and then sad like you were missing out?
Old 02-20-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If by "I tried it sober" you mean "I tried it dry", then your conclusion doesn't surprise me. The A.A. Big Book talks about those who "thoroughly followed our path." That's the standard I recommend. Attend 90 A.A. meetings in 90 days, get a sponsor, and work the Steps. Then do the comparison.

PS -- Here's more of that quote:

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.... Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it -- then you are ready to take certain steps. At some of these we balked. We thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

We have to give time time. Change does come and we can be happier than when we were drinking. Gotta give it a real chance.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, if nothing else, I believe sobriety does not damage your health but drinking does. If everything else is the same, that's still a big difference even if it doesn't sound too important while drinking.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's not even a question. Sober is much much better. In fact, over the long run, it's the difference between life and death.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Same
That was my reaction as well, until I worked the steps. How far along in the steps, did you get?
Old 02-20-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

BABM, sometimes you need to make lifestyle changes to support your recovery. Have you been able to add things to your life that make you feel good about things?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I tried it drunk for 25 years. I’m almost 3 months sober. I have many failed attempts behind me.

My thought this time—if I could be drunk for 25 years, then I’ll try to be sober for 25 years and then compare the two.

I’m hopeful, that the further I get away from my last drunk and the mess I created, that the future holds fantastic things for me—and for you too.

I believe in you—you are worth it. Give yourself the chance to be shown how great you can be and how your life can be the best it can truly be. Invest in you.