Notices

Alcohol in American Culture- tips

Old 02-19-2021, 11:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SIB

I have the lake house too and when drinking that was all I did out there, then waking up feeling like crap and just wanting to be lazy, yet also bored because you're out at the lake, stuck. Sober you take on projects, make it nicer, work on things, cook up good food, boat around without fear of getting pulled over drunk by the police boat (same DUI charge as a car here). I already have a list of projects to do.

As for the other things on your list with enough sober time under your belt you'll also have fun regardless of the event. I've been sober up to 2 years before, all the booze thoughts you're having right now do go away and you just live your life normally.

I've even been to the cottage sober, it was fine.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Hi BackandScared, you’re doing just fine. I’m 26 months sober and often have the feeling a glass of wine would be nice. It’s no longer a powerful urge, but it could become one. If I did “experiment” and have one glass - the shop near me sells one-glass bottles - I’d probably have that one and nothing would happen that day. The next evening, though, I just bet I’d be craving that bit more for that wine. After all, I was fine with just the one yesterday, right?

It’d become a daily occurrence within a week. I’d also be having wine in restaurants, etc. There’s only one way the level of consumption would go after that,

So, nothing wrong with having that feeling on occasion. We’re sober long enough now to ignore it
Thank you Hodd. 26 months is awesome! I have no doubts in my mind I cannot have that one glass of wine.
when I had made 1 year sober and 11 months with no cigarettes, I had the great idea of smoking one. Only one, of course. Did not smoke again in 2 weeks. After 2 months I was back in full force. Smoking less than I used too (moderating, ha!) but clearly hooked and getting worse. I could not quit. Having the experience was no help; I had to do it all over again. So now, I am 19 months alcohol free and 5 months smoke free. If I needed proof, I got it.

The few weeks I smoked was such a massive downer. There was no pleasure on any of it. Just guilt, that familiar feeling. And the inability to quit; the horrible feeling of being stuck at day zero. i don't think I could have quitted without Champix and it was still really difficult. So no: no 'one' glass of wine here, no matter how innocent and delicious it may feel.