Notices

Mars Perseverance

Old 02-19-2021, 07:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It doesn't take a rocket scientist..... oh wait..... yes it does! (my poor attempt at humor)
I think this is beyond cool and you should be sooooo proud!!!!
Old 02-20-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I missed the landing, and didn't even know it was going to happen. I remember 20 years ago, when the first Mars landing took place. I watched the whole thing. 300 million miles away. And that's just the solar system, and one of our nearest neighbors. Space is big. We are tiny.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Very cool, Be a Better Man!

I saw some some pictures and video of the event during a college astronomy class I'm currently taking on Zoom. Astronomy is a hobby I've gotten into the past couple of years. As a sober, retiree it's a great way to pass time in a pandemic.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Very cool, @BeABetterMan . I was telling people at work yesterday (Friday) how excited I am to see the pictures from Perserverance. I'm really looking forward to the helicopter test to see how that goes.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As a physics teacher, i always confuse my students with the difference between mass and weight. The Perserverance Rover lets me confuse them all over again. The weight of the rover is about one third of what it is on Earth. I’ll leave it there

Must’ve been an amazing project to work on.

I still haven’t worked out how it’ll get rock samples and send these back to Earth. I’m almost there

BBM, the world needs clever people like you.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How wonderful that you were part of it, BABM. I admire all the brilliant minds working together to make this happen.

Steely - Thanks for the Bowie.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

BABM, I knew about the thing but didn’t know that it had landed until my father came over on Friday evening and told me all about it. He was totally in awe, explaining to me how it entered the atmosphere and how each of the landing rockets fired at different stages, to help guide the craft safely to the designated landing spot and how the craft did some of the “thinking” for itself. He is a retired electronic engineer and it was great to see him being so enthusiastic about all the different technology involved.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn.

It was probably played all over USA, NASA Control. But I'm from Australia and gave it a go from down under.

It's great song.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
sober style

It's amazing that we've landed a freaking helicopter on Mars now, and maybe even weirder that I'm learning about it on a sobriety website. It really fires my imagination, that we're capable of doing things like that! We're all called to greater things than we can even dream of, and how inspiring is that.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Without alcohol, we’re all that bit more intelligent. Maybe BBM and his work on Mars Perseverance will get a few members interested in science. I always say a new interest is perfect to keep the mind from thinking about drinking. I had to do a seriously intensive crash course in physics last summer, and I wouldn’t have had time to drink if I still had been! I really reckon if someone wants to occupy their mind during withdrawal, they should apply to take an exam in any subject that interests them, and then study hard for that exam. Whilst the brain is growing, the body’s getting used to being without alcohol.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Without alcohol, we’re all that bit more intelligent. Maybe BBM and his work on Mars Perseverance will get a few members interested in science. I always say a new interest is perfect to keep the mind from thinking about drinking. I had to do a seriously intensive crash course in physics last summer, and I wouldn’t have had time to drink if I still had been! I really reckon if someone wants to occupy their mind during withdrawal, they should apply to take an exam in any subject that interests them, and then study hard for that exam. Whilst the brain is growing, the body’s getting used to being without alcohol.
This is so true. Our minds are made for thinking, they like being put to work on something constructive, kept busy on tasks that are both wholesome and edifying. While it's true that binging away hours on Netflix shows can distract us from some of our worst urges, it's better long-term to have more substantial ideas to chew on as our sobriety strength grows.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Surfing www and watching TV/Netflix was probably one of my drinking triggers or more a habit. I’d suggest anyone going through that fidgety and anxious early withdrawal do something that’ll occupy the mind.

Loads of decent online courses now, but I’d recommend courses with a target and some sort of deadline. Having to finish an assignment by a certain time focuses the mind. It could be anything from a foreign language, a school exam, a new skill or trade or something I know nothing about computer programming.

We’re all too clever here to be drinking