Notices

I will stop today

Old 02-18-2021, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will stop today

33 years ago I stopped smoking 40 a day overnight, without any assistance.

I have been drinking a bottle of Vodka a day recently, it has increased from half a bottle over the last year.

Today I am going to stop drinking the Vodka in the hope it will save my marriage!

Will keep you posted
Old 02-18-2021, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s fantastic you are quitting but a bottle a day is a lot. You need to be very careful about withdrawals which can be dangerous. Can you check with your doctor about some medication for at home detox? Is your spouse willing to keep a close eye on you?

We are glad you are here. Post all you need for support.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on our decision arp409 and welcome to SR. Mind your symptoms my friend. Quitting the dirty cigs is indeed very tough, but quitting a bottle of vodka a day might come with some unpleasant/dangerous withdrawal symptoms. If you start to feel rough, get to a doc asap.

I don't know if drinking will save your marriage or not, but one thing sounds certain - your marriage is doomed unless you quit. Give the marriage a fair shot at success by being sober and see what happens.

Keep posting here and let us know how things are going.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to quit drinking. Will you please check in with a medical professional about withdrawal? You are consuming a very large amount of alcohol. Its very important you are safe in this process.
We are here for you.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten good advice here, so be careful, make a plan, and I hope you keep posting.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely ... you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer." (Big Book, p. 44.)

For me, the necessary "spiritual experience" referred to above is simply the result of incorporating the A.A. program of recovery into my life, which basically consists of (1) meetings, (2) Steps, and (3) service work. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with others that a bottle of vodka a day is not to be taken lightly arp409.

It's different to stopping smoking cigarettes. Risk of seizure is present.

Think you should see your doctor about helping you get through these first few days.

Then come back here to start your sober journey and retrieve your marriage.

It is so much better.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard arp

D
Old 02-19-2021, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the reply's, I have tried medical assistance in the past which was a total waste of time. Unless you are self harming or about to do something silly the NHS in the UK just give you a leaflet and point you in the direction of AA or other groups, unfortunately I am currently under lockdown and unable to do group meetings, I have however contacted a counsellor who pointed me to this group.

That being said day 1 over and all good, just kept my mind on other things, however did not get to sleep until about 1:30am, thanks to Netflix I was able to keep my mind off drink.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through Day 1.

You might be able to access some AA meetings using Zoom.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Arp. Congratulations on making this big decision. I was drinking that much too, in the end. It was taking us nowhere good. You can do it!
Old 02-19-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Hey Arp! Glad you found us and Congrats on day 1

You got this! We cannot wait to hear how well you did on day 2
Old 02-19-2021, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Great idea to stop drinking! I did it by SR alone. I stopped smoking at the same time. I had to quit for myself and it helped all other parts of my life. Beware of highs and lows, good days and bad days. If I can do this so can you! Best wishes!
Old 02-19-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

unfortunately I am currently under lockdown and unable to do group meetings,
if that is your only problem with AA you will be able to find an online AA meeting on Zoom. Its the norm now in these COVID times.

D
Old 02-19-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That is great that the first day worked out Arp. I've been thinking about you and hoping that was the case. You can leave that all behind now.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you didn’t get much help from the NHS, arp. My GP did sort of help with liver function blood tests and a referral to counselling, which I only went to as I wanted to be prescribed Campral, a drug that reduces cravings.

I’d give your GP another try. At least make sure your liver’s still healthy. Maybe medication such as Campral would help. Saying that, it’s 95% willpower to give up drinking. I’m no counsellor, but maybe ask yourself why you’re drinking that much. Can you do another activity instead of Netflix? Watching TV or surfing the Internet makes it very tempting to have a drink. Yes, the weather’s crap and everything’s shut, but try and do something different, maybe an online course. The weather is improving as is the lockdown situation.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks for all the support

3 days gone and counting, it can be very hard at times but the fruit instead of the booze in the evenings helps, I have a skype meeting with my councillor on Tuesday, hoping I will be able to tell him I am still off the booze

Hi Hodd, I am also type 2 diabetic and get my bloods tested every 3 months so far all good results for blood and liver functions, I have an appointment coming up soon with the diabetic nurse and will discuss again with her.

My late mother in law had a saying "Old age does not come alone" she was right with that, about 10 years ago in one year 3 chronic health issues diagnosed. (High blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and epilepsy) all now under control thanks to medication.

Keep smiling.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good work on Day 3!

I have seen what diabetes and drinking have done to folks. It ain't pretty.

I hope you find the strength to stop for good.

I too just quit one day. That was 13 months ago.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Hi Arp409! Welcome to the sobriety journey. It's great. I'm glad to read you are at 3 days. I think that means you are past dangerous window for seizures but everyone's body varies. I had high blood pressure for YEARs whilst drinking 3/4th's a bottle of vodka a night. I've been fine and off meds for that since I quit drinking. I think it took like 3-4 months to stabilize. I would say that your experience may differ but for many of us drinking and high blood pressure went hand in hand.

Don't just hope you can tell him you are still off the booze Tuesday - make it so. Sobriety is a forever deal, but approaches and goals can be chopped up to little easier bits. You'll see a lot on the boards and from recovery folks about doing it 1 day at a time. So let's make Tuesday your bigger goal but today's goal is to be sober today. I had times where I had make my goal to just not drinking THAT hour. Every success builds up momentum and sober muscles.