Notices

Getting "high" from exercise

Old 02-16-2021, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting "high" from exercise

I read another thread about weed and I know tons of alcoholics turn to it viewing it as a lesser evil or whatever.

So, on my more sober days I walk a lot and that helps me get through those days. I read a thing which explained that they tested runners and found the same nice feeling chemicals released from weed in their brain after a run. So there you go, if you want to get absolutely hammered while getting healthy, get into jogging. Or walking if you are a chubby boy like me. Ankles can't hack it.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although not too much... people get addicted to exercise too. But it really can help with cravings because its replacing the happy chemicals.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been addicted to exercise LOL but it is nice to feel good after some exertion

D
Old 02-16-2021, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, that happened to me when cycling one time.

Cycled a long distance, tired, then burst through some euphoric zone. Really weird.

Felt I could cycle forever.

Only felt it once because hocked my great racing bike, and that was the end of my cycling career. 😂

I wasn't addicted or anything, just cycled for fun, see the countryside. But never in Lycra.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
But never in Lycra.
Hey, no judgement here. If you want to upset the local country folk with skin tight lycra, that's your business.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not addicted to walking but I do always feel better when I have done it. I do like a challenge of doing long walks, 8 miles or so in the countryside, and discovering new places.

If I was younger I think I would give jogging a go, I have read a lot of positive stuff about the endorphins after a run.

I have bursitus in my hip now so have to go a bit carefully but walk everyday.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think the comparison of exercise to drugs (alcohol) is accurate because both release chemicals in the brain that make us feel good - high, euphoric etc. The brilliant thing is (obviously) that the side effects of exercise are so good!

I run 2 hours on a Saturday (from being able to do 10 minutes a year ago). It hurts. I don't enjoy it. But I love it. It gives my week a focus (I train and eat building up to it) and the rest of my Saturday floats away in a trance-like, 'high' state.

I am addicted to running, if that isn't twisting the meaning of the word too much. When my AV appears and I consider drinking, the thought of missing runs is enough to stop that thought dead. I can't see, practically, where I'd fit in the drinking and hangovers with my three runs, recovery times, eating patterns etc
Old 02-16-2021, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Likewise Kaily.

Used to do a lot of exercise, sport, when I was young, but hardly any now. I really want to start exercising again.

A few months back back I finished up with hypothermia doing stupid power water aerobics at 6am. Even my tongue went numb. It was bad. Power water aerobics really is stupid. Felt like an idiot.

Walking sounds better to start, but do regret hocking my bike it was a beauty. I miss it.

A lot more desperate then, but no longer.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it's great if running stops you from drinking, walking/hiking has become a bigger and bigger part of my life and now I'm getting sober I'm looking forward to getting more into it. I think boredom is a massive trigger for me so staying active is really important.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Crikey, I'll stick to the hiking. I plan on getting into cycling when I'm in a bit better shape, absolutely beautiful places to cycle where I've recently moved.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't cycle any longer itstime, but when I did it was beautiful.

Walking it is.

One foot in front of the other.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't consider it a 'high', but walking my dog gives me a great sense of peace. Same when I'm petting her, or my two cats. I get a sense of calm when my beagirl Billie is lying in my lap and I'm petting her. Stroking her silky shiny fur relaxes me.

Walking is a favorite pastime of mine. Especially walking Billie, but even walking by myself is better than not walking at all.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everything in moderation, well apart from you know what

I went from obese alcoholic to (average) triathlete. I felt I was invincible at first. I was surprisingly quite fast at running, but I started to pick up little injuries here and there which mean I have to restrict my activities slightly. So my advice is definitely to exercise but take it steady. Our cardiovascular systems are excellent at adapting to our new levels of fitness, and huge improvements are seen over a matter of weeks. The bad news is the rest of our body takes time to catch up.

I have very tight hamstrings. Not a problem for my former drinking self unless I dropped my beer money and had to pick it up. But when I run, the thousands of steps stretch my Achilles tendons that little bit. It’ll take me months or years to become more flexible in the hamstrings, but in the meantime I have to respect those Achilles as when they get damaged, I won’t be running or walking anywhere for weeks.

Exercise is great, but take it easy.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

I have very tight hamstrings. Not a problem for my former drinking self unless I dropped my beer money and had to pick it up. But when I run, the thousands of steps stretch my Achilles tendons that little bit. It’ll take me months or years to become more flexible in the hamstrings, but in the meantime I have to respect those Achilles as when they get damaged, I won’t be running or walking anywhere for weeks.
God, I could've written this word for word!!! I've started 40 days and nights of stretching (for lent) because my calves are so tight all the time, and there's good sites online advising runners how and when to stretch to help with this.

Ive run a half marathon last two saturdays and they've been ok, I built up slowly to this distance. But my calves are very tight and so im hoping regular stretching will help
Old 02-17-2021, 02:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow! Sounds like you’re doing great. Watch out for those Achilles!

Another thing I do now which I wouldn’t have dreamed of two years ago is yoga. I have no self-motivation for this so go to an instructor - even now during lockdown as it’s very important to do something right now. Because I’m (now) slim and reasonably fit, yoga instructors assume I’ll have some flexibility - wrong! So I need an instructor who knows what I’m like! I really enjoy it, but it’s incredibly tough.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know when wenger first became arsenal manager he stopped a lot of the running work
and introduced yoga-type activities. Adams says he couldn't believe how much more efficient his body became when it was stretched regularly, so I'm hoping for similar 😁
Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

THANK YOU for this. One of the things I recently asked my Higher Power for help with was specifically "Please help me channel my addictive tendencies into healthy addictive pursuits - like exercise... being there for my family.... my business...."

RUNNING - and specifically very long distance running - has always been a really intense 'high' for me. I miss it. I have let it fade away for over three years. I will take this as a reminder and a suggestion and I will get back out there. When I run, I recharge. When I run, the blast of endorphins and 'feel good' chemicals is more positive and intense than any drug ever.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I struggle with a lot of the inverted positions if I’ve had a couple of cups of tea an hour beforehand. Tony Adams must’ve struggled (that’s a bit naughty of me).

Yoga does have this image of middle class women, but a lot of it originates from strong powerful males in India. There are a lot of positions that I don’t have the core strength to do. I finish yoga sessions and want to lie down.

I really recommend it, but it’s not regulated so finding an instructor you trust and who knows your body is key. I’ve done yoga with other instructors, and they’ve thought I wasn’t trying. I really am that inflexible

And whilst I’d like to get into meditation (been unsuccessful so far), I’m not into the spiritual side of yoga. My instructor does a little chant in Sanskrit at the start of a session which is a small price to pay for an otherwise excellent session

This is what we mean, though, about unexpected surprises when we quit drinking. Three years ago, I was this fat dull guy in an office. Now I’m a school teacher who does (slow) triathlons, yoga and all sorts of stuff with interesting people. Never would I have dreamed this outcome.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow this thread is great inspiration for me. I have never been obese as an adult but struggle with sticking to any kind of regular exercise. Meditation is much more natural and easier for me, haha, because it's mostly mental

I ran long distance for a period when I was 18. I lived in an area where I could go on many great cross-country runs, and absolutely got to experience the high from it. It didn't make me do things my body couldn't handle, so I don't see anything wrong with it for me and think I should get into that zone to motivate me again. Races, exercise classes and gyms never interested or motivated me, but running and hiking in nature I loved when younger. My father was a big hiker and we often went when I was a child with family and friends, and I continued on my own especially when I lived in a beautiful, mountainous part of the world. Unfortunately, my drinking and the last 10+ years living in New York City killed all that. I walk now, but it has gotten pretty dull during the pandemic, always the same places... I really would like to move out of Manhattan now but realizing I'm still too attached to the city, so it's a hard decision. In any case, I look forward to the spring when I can spend more time outside and enjoy it, because I just can't develop a real liking for working out inside, and I resent continuing to live a mostly sedentary lifestyle especially now working from home. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration
Old 02-17-2021, 04:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It’s something you have to keep at to. My bathroom scales not only give my weight, but they estimate body fat too. I hold onto to a handle connected via a wire to the scales. A small electrical current then passes between my hands and my feet, and an estimate of body fat is given. People scoff and say it’s a gimmick, but it’s only me using the scales every day, and I’d say the day to day comparison is very valid.

Whilst my weight has stayed the same, my body fat percentage has increased a lot. The muscle I’d gained through gym and swimming - I’m no body builder but I was becoming toned - has been turning to fat whilst gyms and pools are closed during lockdown.

I’m maintaining my running but even that’s suffered a lot as my body has to carry the extra fat around. I need to really watch my diet with the huge reduction in exercise. The gyms should be open now (my opinion)