Notices

Getting "high" from exercise

Old 02-17-2021, 05:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hodd, I got a scale that's paired with my phone and estimates body composition a couple months ago and I like it, too. Don't believe it's super accurate in the details, but even just looking at those numbers makes me think and reminds me of my body, which I naturally and habitually would often ignore. I never owned a scale for at least two decades because I had an eating disorder in my youth and was afraid that I would get obsessed with the numbers again, but I don't feel those old tendencies still influence my body image and what I do anymore, so decided to buy this scale after getting sober. Indeed, I am not preoccupied with it at all and now more feel weighing myself regularly keeps my thinking more objective. I generally enjoy getting to know how anything about me works, so it's interesting to weigh myself at different times and see what sorts of things influence fluctuations, how my body retains water etc. I definitely notice less water weight sticking when I exercise more. I don't really need to lose weigh but was happier a little lighter in the past and changing my body composition, gaining muscle etc would be cool. I think it's especially beneficial for middle-aged people like myself, who are relatively healthy and want to work on prevention of future disease. Of course I need to work for it not just think about it, not even all the preventive medical exams and doctors I'm seeing now can help if I don't do my part

I know I could get into more steady exercise routines the way I try to do now, via taking it as a part of my holistic self-improvement project (rather than focusing on single items such as weight or workout), because it has so many opportunities to learn and try new things, and to optimize - these are things I naturally like and am driven by. I was thinking that perhaps hiring a knowledgeable personal trainer with a similar holistic approach might help cement the exercise more, whether it's working online or directly. This is something I would definitely need and could use much more than psychotherapy, for example. Or at least some workout buddies who have better discipline than me.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sounds like you’re doing great, Aellyce

Yes, training buddies are a huge help. Mine are also in lockdown so we can’t meet up, but we do “virtual” challenges such as a 10km run and record our times. I wouldn’t have the motivation to run 10km without buddies.

Have faith in those scales. A one-off number might not mean a great deal, but the comparisons from week to week or longer tell us what our bodies are doing. I have friends in their forties who proudly claim to be the same weight as a decade ago, but I can see they’ve put on a lot of body fat. It’s normal aging, but exercise can help fight off some of that progress. Keep at it
Old 02-17-2021, 05:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And the personal trainer idea is an excellent one.

i had a trainer to start with - I was 250 pounds and a BMI of 32. I don’t think he believed in me at first, and I don’t blame him. Unbeknown to him at the time, I’d cut right down on drinking so that was at least 500 calories a day less. The weight fell off and he started taking me seriously. After a year, I needed him less often, and I barely saw him in 2020. But now I’m losing a lot of fitness, I’ll start up with him after lockdown. A good PT is an asset.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well I'm in a work meeting online and at lunch time changed into my shorts and runners as I am itching to get out. It's raining but can't wait to get outside ♥️

Old 02-17-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I wouldn't consider it a 'high', but walking my dog gives me a great sense of peace. Same when I'm petting her, or my two cats. I get a sense of calm when my beagirl Billie is lying in my lap and I'm petting her. Stroking her silky shiny fur relaxes me.

Walking is a favorite pastime of mine. Especially walking Billie, but even walking by myself is better than not walking at all.
My dog was called Billy! Passed away sadly a long happy life.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
Hodd, I got a scale that's paired with my phone and estimates body composition a couple months ago and I like it, too. Don't believe it's super accurate in the detail.
My understanding is you can use calipers and maths but I've never attempted it, I just wouldn't worry about the specific too much I view the scale as a way of getting a general sense of improvements.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

A couple of people have said they love running but it has caused injury, and that's why I go hiking instead of running. My doctor has advised against it due to my weight (which I am working on) and a recurring knee injury, and I've since found cycling, swimming and hiking to all work. Anything that raises that heart rate I suppose. People seem to have different experiences with how intensely they have felt those feel good chemicals. So, when I looked it up, they are released every time we exercise but get very intense during long form exercise at a moderate difficulty. That long bike ride probably hit that euphoric spot. I'm not seriously suggesting anyone chase that feeling, I just found it interesting.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Well I'm in a work meeting online and at lunch time changed into my shorts and runners as I am itching to get out. It's raining but can't wait to get outside ♥️
Rain is the best time to go! Keeps you cool.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nice thread. I will say I am addicted to exercise lol. I work out every day. As a kid my asthma was so bad I wasn't able to keep up with other kids. My cousin who is the same age was ADD and very hyperactive. I kept playing even though I new I would have asthma attack's. I kept doing more and more and as I grew I was able to manage my asthma. I had even did what everyone thought was impossible. Accept for me. Honor, courage, commitment. Semper Fi
Old 02-17-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It is difficult for me to live without running. I get a huge high from it. Can bang out a half marathon maybe twice a week but prefer 6.2miles, 10km. 4 times a week which is ideal time wise and is a good test in terms of beating PBs. I take a break say 3 or 4 days and then go out and sometimes absolutely smash my PB. It such a great feeling after you clock in your first mile and the time is super fast and you believe you can go for it. That being said even walking a mile each day in whatever or every weather is way better than drinking, just building up a steady routine with a few goals to achieve when combined together lead to a more productful, meaningful and healthy life. When I was drinking I had no goal(s) other than drinking, life revolved around it. I recall when when I made the decision to exercise more it was so dam darn hard and painful, but very slowly, bit by bit it came together which then fed in to other areas of my life in terms of creativity, goals, energy, health, motivation, mental capacity. So many pluses from exercise be it yoga, biking, walking a mile every day to running a half marathon a few times a week.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Interesting point about walking and not running.

I was abroad and took the opportunity to have a proper heart scan. I don’t have any problems, but it’s good to know if one’s arteries are clogged or not. I didn’t really get to talk to the local doctor about my results, so I did so back in the UK. Some of the things the consultant said were interesting, but what stuck in my mind was the need for cardiovascular exercise.

Provided there are no issues, we do need to get our hearts pumping. The consultant was a fan of yoga, weights, walking and all of those good things, but he added these do nothing for heart health. It has to be a more vigorous exercise such as jogging or cycling. This was of course within reasonable levels, but he suggested a minimum of 15 minutes a day.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Interesting point about walking and not running.

I was abroad and took the opportunity to have a proper heart scan. I don’t have any problems, but it’s good to know if one’s arteries are clogged or not. I didn’t really get to talk to the local doctor about my results, so I did so back in the UK. Some of the things the consultant said were interesting, but what stuck in my mind was the need for cardiovascular exercise.

Provided there are no issues, we do need to get our hearts pumping. The consultant was a fan of yoga, weights, walking and all of those good things, but he added these do nothing for heart health. It has to be a more vigorous exercise such as jogging or cycling. This was of course within reasonable levels, but he suggested a minimum of 15 minutes a day.
I go hiking and it certainly gets my heart racing, I live in the countryside so plenty of big hills to climb. I haven't got one of those heart race checkers, but a good incline certainly does it for me.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Aaaaah yes, the sweet wonders of exercise! Love a good long bike ride, especially in the mountains. Unfortunately we don’t have any in The Netherlands. Luckily the indoor cycling options have been really sweet in the last years and I spend more and more time riding indoors on a direct drive / smart trainer.

And that feeling afterwards, it’s hard to beat. Although I’ve been enjoying the long rides less since I became a father. The combination of sore legs and demanding kids isn’t the best one.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I love getting high from working out! It helps so much with the recalibration of brain hormones after a long period of addiction. I also get high daily through breathing exercises. I practice "wim hof" breathing, which can be found on youtube. He always says, "it's time to get high on your own supply!" and man it is true. I feel so good afterwards, elevated, high energy levels, clarity of mind. I usually will meditate and pray right after because I feel so elevated.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My weight lifting regimen is absolutely essential to my sobriety. It has provided me with the progress, improvement, results and endorphins that aid my sober life.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's been good reading on this thread. It's motivated me, and has me know I'm moving forward. Wanting to do things other than drinking, and dreaming about what might have been. I've got to make it Be, now.

Have noticed an improvement in my overall mental health since improving my diet, and have put on a little much needed weight. I was very very thin.

Doctor is referring me to an exercise physiologist which I'm looking forward to. I want to build strength.

It has been 10 days since I've had a cigarette. Hope this will bring my bp down as was elevated and I don't tolerate bp meds very well. I've noticed an increase in my cash flow too.

Tiny incremental steps forward are good enough for me now. It demonstrates (to me) a commitment to sobriety. A desire for things other than self destruction. Kapow!

Least, I reckon petting your cat is a high. Meditatory and calming. Slowing our heart rate is a good thing too.

Good morning everyone. ☀️

Old 02-17-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Weight lifting? ☹️

The UK’s gyms are all closed. I’ve put on a lot of body fat in a couple of months despite running 4 times a week.

I lost 20kg through exercise and not drinking. I can now well see how people regain huge amounts of lost weight. If I was still drinking, I’d have become very large in this lockdown.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Weight lifting? ☹️

The UK’s gyms are all closed. I’ve put on a lot of body fat in a couple of months despite running 4 times a week.

I lost 20kg through exercise and not drinking. I can now well see how people regain huge amounts of lost weight. If I was still drinking, I’d have become very large in this lockdown.
Try free weights my man, you can do a lot with a pair of dumbbells if you don't have much room.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I don't run like I used to and I miss the high it brings. But I still exercise a lot and it definitely helps with my mood. John
Old 02-17-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I do have a set of those TRX straps which can hook to a wall and that’s a whole gym right there. The issue (excuse) is I have to use this outside as my place is just too old - I’d be pulling walls down! It’s been a bit cold lately, but it’s warming up. No excuses!