Notices

Floundering, but yet not

Old 02-15-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Floundering, but yet not

Like so many, this year of Covid, has taken away my Liberty.

In our third lockdown here in England. So very hard to find positive things to do, to take my mind off craving, obsessed with feeding the ducks in our local pond.

I drink then I don't, find it so hard to accept others in my life seem to want me to fail, not just controlling/stopping my alcohol consumption.

I believe I surrounded my self with people who find my abilities a personal challenge to their self of self. I have actually achieved much in my life considering where I started out, their solution to any every day problem is - have a drink, here's a joint
Old 02-15-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

James, be kind to yourself and step away from the people who want you to fail. You deserve much better than that.

I'm with you on tiring of the lockdowns. We're on our second long lockdown here and it's not ending anytime soon. I'm continuing to think that Spring is not far off and that will be such a positive thing. Hang in there.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I got sober it was in spite of a few toxic people in my life.
I couldn't let them or anything else, stop me from being all I could be

D
Old 02-15-2021, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi James. Covid has been a disaster for everyone. So isolating and tough. I live in Minnesota and our state has been on a pretty strict lockdown for 11 months now. A few short periods when things lightened up a bit, but for the most part, locked all the way down.

I hope you can maybe use the lockdown to your advantage to separate yourself from the folks who do not really understand what you are going through. Forgive them because unless you are one of us, you just don't get it, right?

You deserve some support in your efforts to be sober and healthy.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After I had been sober for a few months it became apparent to me that I had surrounded myself with a lot of people who supported and shared my "habit". I suspect that's true to some extent for most of us. As it became clearer to me (and I guess them too) that I wanted to, and actually could, stay sober the people in my life began to fall into two groups: those that were interested in me and those that were primarily interested in drinking. I don't dislike the friends that slipped away after that phase, I just couldn't be the same person doing the same things I did when we were close.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had to ditch a couple of people in my life too, James. Didn't think I could do it.

You'll be surprised at how good it feels to reclaim yourself.

They'll keep you down if you let them.

I'm liking you feeding the ducks in the pond. Better company.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi James,

Glad to see you here and posting. One thing I have learned in sobriety is that it is okay to separate from people who are toxic or negative. I have ended relationships with a few people and it’s better for my mental health.

Covid has definitely been challenging for all of us, I am hopeful that there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi James, yes the combination of lockdown, people being a bit nasty right now and our UK weather - although it’s better this week - are making life a challenge. But I don’t believe any right-minded person would want you to fail, quite the opposite. Show them what you’re capable of.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Once I got sober and stayed sober I found that my life steadily improved. Also it gave me the clarity to remove any toxic people out of my life for good.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Getting sober usually requires an adjustment in who you hang with. First, you have to force it. Eventually, you can be around those people, but you will suddenly notice they weren't all that interesting to begin with.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Lock downs don't make our addiction problem better. I started to go into the covid world according to D122y, but decided to avoid any sort of "issue." We all have brains, we all have opinions....

Anyway...

The crave still ramps up with me and it is always associated with emotion (good or bad).

When I quit drinking my alky buddy didn't call me much. He invited me to golf a time or so, but when we finished he would try to pressure me to drink with him. He would basically turn into a pouting child.

Hanging around drunks has proven to be educational and motivating at times for me. Watching them going from craving, to high, tired, detox, craving, high etc. reminds me how free I am.

I get happy watching a funny show on TV, doing some push ups, fiddling in the garage etc etc etc. I don't need booze or a joint.

Thank God I am freeeeeeeeee!

Booze is poison. It fries the brain. I don't believe the hype.

Sober and quietly proud.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think when we get sober we really get to "see" who our true friends are. I have very few people in my life that I call a "friend." Those that are close to me support my sobriety and want me to be happy and healthy.
Keep moving forward and know that you are making one of the best decisions for yourself.

These lockdowns seem never ending....We have been in a purple tier for way too long. I am hopeful by early summer we will see some signs of progress. One can hope. We are here for you.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all, so much for your support.
Yesterday was just a difficult day, all human beings have them.
One of the comments, thank you, was this addiction to the highs, the lows, the feeling emotionally regretful. The solution. the highs, the lows et al

I have a friend Zak, he is only 32, he came to visit tonight, I believe he is a wise Man, He had a problem with alcohol and speed some years ago, So he decided to stop that, it wasn't making him happy or content, and he was achieving absolutely nothing.

He goes to the gym, a lot, he is a brick layer now by trade, aims toward property development, he is nobody's fool, but a kind decent Man.

Have known him some thirteen years, all our goods and bads. I would hate to loose him, but if I continue along the road of sobriety, I won't.