Notices

Howdy

Old 02-14-2021, 04:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

lifewithart,

Thanks for your post. I’m truly charting the course in real time, not knowing which direction the journey will take me... the only known is that I never want to take another drink of booze again. I’m sure the course will circle back on itself many times.

Your suggestions are appreciated and not taken lightly. At this moment, I have a great in-person support system (it’s amazing how much people want to help if they know you need it!). Although not addicts, they are incredible motivators for me. That, along with this forum and the secular-based program I’m doing through online Zoom meetings is, so far, helping me along my path.

I have not and will not close the door completely on AA. At this stage of the journey, however, I’m finding the support I need. Could be a different scenario tomorrow, I don’t know.

Thanks again for your input and welcoming me into the fray.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ZIP

Hey, Ryan.
AA helped me quite a bit during early sobriety. I, too, had reservations about the program format, but I just kept showing up for meetings---mostly to listen to the personal stories and advice from others. To me, it was therapeutic, even if I didn't get a sponsor or formally do the steps. I made some friends in the rooms, too. So, I'd encourage you to give it your best shot if the in-person meetings help. Do it on your terms---because it's your journey.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ryan, I know many who have benefitted from AA, and many more who have successfully charted a different sober road. You do what works for you. With respect, I will say that if a corner of the recovery world uses a spiritual pillar or a higher power pillar, and that doesn't work for you, don't pretend to be something you are not (which us addicts are already experts at). The important bit is to be sober and have a plan for staying sober.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to know you're feeling positive & keeping busy, Ryan.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on day 6! Like you, I found AA just doesn’t resonate with me and there are other solutions out there. Mine is Rational Recovery. It’s a self-recovery program that is not spiritual based but focuses directly on how to control and eliminate the addictive thoughts and behaviors. The book is written by Jack Trimpey and available on Amazon if you are interested. Not to say AA isn’t great, just not for everyone. Good luck and keep at it!
Old 02-14-2021, 10:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Cali, thanks for the kind words! Trying to get my post count up to 15 so I can reply to the PM.