Notices

New

Old 02-13-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hi. I am drinking today but tomorrow I want to start to stay clean from alcohol. The stories from people sober one week, one month, one year really help. It gives me hope that I can also feel better.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and yes, you can heal and recover. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! This is a wonderful place.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best choice you’ll ever make.

Week 1 and 2 will be a bit grim. Week 3 won’t be great either, but stick with it - no little “rewards” or you’ll be back to day one - and the rest of your life will be great.

About 25 months ago, I was sat there feeling despair and anxiety having just quit. I thought every evening would be like that forever. The unexpected surprises since then have included a massive weight loss, completing triathlons and an even more massive career change which meant escaping from office boredom forever. Plus I’m way more positive and sometimes even friendly. You’ve a lot to look forward to.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! One question - if you're truly committed, why put off until tomorrow what you can start right now?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR OWTO. Check in tomorrow and let us know how Day 1 is going for you. I know how hard it is to dump a supply whilst drinking, but your Day 1 will be MUCH easier if you stop drinking now. But if not, I get it. Countless times I'd dump my supply and be back at the bottle shop an hour later. Certainly don't do that. Anyway, I hope you post here often and let us know how things are going.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi OWTO - we're so glad to have you with us. SR helped me quit after 30 yrs. It meant the world to have the understanding & support of so many people who were just like me. In my life, I had almost no one who understood what I was going through.
The early days are rough, but it all gets easier. Read & post here as often as you want to - it's good to stay busy.
Congratulations for making this huge, life changing decision. Be proud.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR OWTO.

If you insist on drinking today, perhaps do some harm reduction.
That being:
Drink water between drinks.
Eat something healthy and filling.
Do Not DRIVE!
Space your drinks.
Pick a time to stop drinking and stick to it.
Prepare to go to bed.

Tomorrow is a new day to commit living sober.
Hope to see you tomorrow but,
if your drinking now,
you might not see tomorrow.

Its best to stop now and I bet you already know this.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Less today will make tomorrow easier in my experience. Better off not having one last bender.
I hope to read more from u soon.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome OWTO.

Its not a suggestion you'll want to hear but why not stop today?
Many times I said i'll quit tomorrow, woke up then feeling wretched and continued to drink.

Stop today. You'll be better off tomorrow
D
Old 02-13-2021, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember going through the "I'll start tomorrow" step toward recovery. This is not taking a cheap shot at you OWTO. I actually did that. I'm guessing almost everyone here did that. It's one of the first things we do. The "I'll start tomorrow" step can come either before or after the "I'm going to control my drinking" step. The fact is quitting is hard, but usually only until you do. It won't always be that way. You'll see. But yeah, it's about time to grab onto your chair and get through the cravings. When those begin to abate is when you really get to start doing something about your problem. Good luck to you. There's a very satisfying journey waiting for you if you want it.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Don't keep putting it off! Welcome
Old 02-13-2021, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why wait for tomorrow? Stop drinking now and you'll feel better in the morning. The early days are rough, no doubt, but if you stay sober, you'll start to feel better with each passing day.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OWTO, how'd today go? Have you been able to lay off the sauce? I'm only on day 6 yet I already feel 100x better than I did at ground zero.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I remember going through the "I'll start tomorrow" step toward recovery. This is not taking a cheap shot at you OWTO. I actually did that. I'm guessing almost everyone here did that. It's one of the first things we do. The "I'll start tomorrow" step can come either before or after the "I'm going to control my drinking" step. The fact is quitting is hard, but usually only until you do. It won't always be that way. You'll see. But yeah, it's about time to grab onto your chair and get through the cravings. When those begin to abate is when you really get to start doing something about your problem. Good luck to you. There's a very satisfying journey waiting for you if you want it.
It is mental steps in quitting, right?
The "I am quitting tomorrow!'
OR " This Saturday is the day"
OR " Tonight I will have 2 glasses"
OR " I will never drink again" (wretched hangover and back at it once you start to feel better)

I agree, buckle up and hold onto your seat. The initial sober ride is a bit bumpy but once you make it through the jungle the skies become clear. The journey is worth it 100%. It may not feel like it at first but that is where faith comes in. I firmly believed in the people here, in the actions I took to get sober and in the strength I had to get through. You can do this. Today is a good day to quit!
Old 02-15-2021, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OWTO - when you're back and reading this.... welcome!

You can do it.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There’s a great sober life waiting for you if you want it.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It didn't go well, as you predicted. I should have stopped then.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OWTO View Post
All my early attempts at quitting failed. It's part of the process, I guess. Keep trying, the failures are temporary. For me it changed when I started to feel like I didn't have the strength to punish myself anymore. I think this is what many people call "the surrender." Surrender is such a crummy word signifying total and utter defeat, but when it happens you can almost see the light right away. A new life is a good thing.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OWTO View Post
When I first got sober I did what people on here told me to. That's a real 'thing' for me, because I always know best!! But I found people who I trusted the opinion of and had been sober for a good period (I used two years as a rule of thumb) and did as they advised.

Looking back this was a good move on my part. My addiction was so strong and it affected the part of my brain that dealt in thinking, choices, consequences and long term v short term pay offs. Put simply, relying on my own thoughts and feelings led me back to the pub very quickly.

Read the forum and see who's advice seems sound, that they know what they're talking about and have been sober for a good old stint. And maybe do as they say, and see what happens? Not religiously or mindlessly, but trusting the community to be a better guide than your own addiction. It worked for me 🤷‍♂️