Notices

Recovery Works

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Works

Hello All

Haven't been on here much lately as I've been really busy with a new work project. And honestly, after 13 sober months, I feel super confident in sobriety...but never ever complacent.

I wanted to write this note because I was here at my desk pondering what to do after work. So many options. I can paint, sew, watch tv, eat a good meal...the list goes on. I'm really just looking forward to relaxing after work. Alcohol has zero power over me now which is still pretty mind blowing...that I can look forward to going home and staying sober. This is what happens when we stick with it...so stick with it!

Much love to all
Old 02-12-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 02-12-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Sober45. I love those evenings after work now. I have the energy to happily work my second job or if I am done for the day at 5 or 6, I have so many hours to fill as I choose. I think the only sober-provided time I enjoy more are those peaceful, quiet calm mornings. Grateful for all that sobriety provides. Thanks again for starting this post.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great post and I really relate to it. Sobriety is a beautiful thing. Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 02-12-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic post Sober45! Glad to hear things are going so well!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post! Very inspiring. What sorts of things do you do that keep you sober each day? How do you go about not getting complacent? All the best!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are on similar timelines Sober45. Wondered where you were. Alive and kicking.

I'll be 14 months on 17th February. Eventually I'll stop counting I guess. At the moment it still gives me a sense of pride, and commitment. Never complacent I, either.

Sobriety has given me a great sense of contentment too, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Or Neptune.

So happy for you Sober45. What a great thing to have happened to us.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are going well.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

13 months sober is wonderful. I am glad you're doing well.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifewithart View Post
Great post! Very inspiring. What sorts of things do you do that keep you sober each day? How do you go about not getting complacent? All the best!
In the first 4 or 5 months I consumed lots of sugar and binge watched TV. I know that doesn’t sound healthy but it was the only way for me after many years of daily drinking. I never really had many cravings because I kept shooting them down with sugar-bullets.

I changed my perspective. I don’t believe I’m abnormal because I can’t control alcohol. I’m not missing out. I don’t think drinking is normal in any way, especially when I consider the overall negative impact it has on health care systems. I spent a lot of time reading anti-drinking material. I never ever EVER let my thought go to romanticizing alcohol…and I never will. After many failed attempts previously, I’ve come to the conclusion that a relapse begins with thoughts…so I don’t have them. My choice.

I had hope. A knowingness inside me that there’s no way sobriety could be worse than the self-loathing that came with booze. And I was rightJ

I avoid complacency with daily reminders and by staying present. I use positive affirmations as my passwords now. So I have no choice but to type something like “IAMSOBER” every time I log into my computer.

I practice gratitude. Early on, even if I wasn’t feelin’ it, I would say things out loud like “wow, I’m sober today, it’s amazing”. I guess you could say there was a bit of “fake it til you make it” going on. The beauty in life is that we get to choose our thoughts…something that alcohol addiction really messes with.

These days, I’m down to dark chocolate and I love it….it’s my nightly ritual and won’t be stopping any time soon. The sugary drinks are gone though. I’m pretty balanced diet wise. I’m also exercising pretty consistently now. This was part of my plan right from day one. Year 1=just stay sober. Year 2=find some balance.

Best wishes!
Old 02-12-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
We are on similar timelines Sober45. Wondered where you were. Alive and kicking.

I'll be 14 months on 17th February. Eventually I'll stop counting I guess. At the moment it still gives me a sense of pride, and commitment. Never complacent I, either.

Sobriety has given me a great sense of contentment too, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Or Neptune.

So happy for you Sober45. What a great thing to have happened to us.
Thanks, Steely. I'll probably keep counting for the long haul too because it gives me a sense accomplishment. Congrats on almost 14 months...we're rockin' it in the COVID era!