Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 12 - 15 February 2021

Notices

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 12 - 15 February 2021

Old 02-11-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Under our old copper line you could just plug a phone in. Optical fibre needs electricity to power the phone.

I live in the city I have a cell phone, and will have a modem that can switch to 4G and an universal power supply so I should be Ok

D
Old 02-11-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bimini, I hope the weather people are just being dramatic
Old 02-11-2021, 12:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Having just done extensive research, I think Dee must mean landlines which get their power from the telephone exchange. Yes that does sound like a backward step to change that.

We get compensation if our electric goes off for more than 4 hours. I once got £50!

Eta cross posted with Dee.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Cityboy, they've taken to saying, "All 300 weather predictor programs now say the same thing!!!!" Because we really don't ever believe it till it's on top of us anyway.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry yeah I’m a landline dinosaur. I can use mobiles but I find them harder to use as phones.

D
Old 02-11-2021, 12:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I would happily go back to landlines, but I made the choice not to have both for financial reasons. I'm paying $70 a month for one cell line and then another $75 for internet.

Such a scam.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I have a landline too. I never use it but I have to have it with my internet. If I change provider, I lose my email address. They get you one way or another.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

G'nite UK, I'm out for my walk. See ya tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Old 02-11-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Sober tools:

SR of course.

In early days, stopping for a tea on the way home instead of the usual alcohol.

Addressing sources of anxiety more directly, which was extremely difficult at first and is still a work in progress at best.

Doing it for my kid, wife, better health, better business? Tragically, none of those things would have ever been enough on their own.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

In my area there is a battery backup system for the landline telephone exchanges if the power fails; one winter we eventually lost phones when the batteries ran out of oomph after a prolonged power outage. I suppose they can bring in generators if it goes on too long.

I've stuck with my landline phone rather than wireless/fibre/whatever it is they want us to switch to: cordless phones don't work in a power cut, and I don't want to use my cellphone for conversations.

*mutters* new fangled things...

Old 02-11-2021, 05:19 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd still be usIng this if I could lol

Old 02-11-2021, 09:37 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

SR

playing it forward

expecting urges

playing on my phone.

googling homes I can’t afford

skiiing

hiking

looking in the mirror.

waiting ten minutes

early on, avoiding social situations that include alcohol

reading the thread “you know yore an active alcoholic if..... (on SR)

reading Less gravity’s post on how to moderate your drinking (on SR)

Old 02-11-2021, 11:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

We gave up our landline phone. Mainly because of the internet service they provided was so slow. I was pleased at the time because I was sick of tele-calls when we arrived home from work trying to sell us something.

Now I get them on my mobile. I block them straight after but I can see it going on forever.

Snow is still settled here but it’s supposed to get warmer in the next or two.

Hope your walk was good Bim.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:59 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
We gave up our landline phone. Mainly because of the internet service they provided was so slow. I was pleased at the time because I was sick of tele-calls when we arrived home from work trying to sell us something.

Now I get them on my mobile. I block them straight after but I can see it going on forever.
are you registered here Mags? https://www.tpsonline.org.uk I registered years ago & it cut down on cold calls a lot.

Kaily - how about moving to a free email that's not tied to your broadband provider - like G0ogle (other providers are available)?

morning all. there was a lovely sunrise here with the reddish low sun lighting up the underneath of the clouds:

hope everyone is staying safe (& has power!)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:32 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a pleasant Friday sober hope your all doing alright
Old 02-12-2021, 01:14 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Hope everyone is doing well.

I've still got a landline, it's part of the package I have with my ISP. I use a cordless phone but have an old fashioned corded phone in reserve in case the electricity goes down.

It's a cold day outside and I'm going to be venturing outside soon. There's still snow on the ground and it's currently -5c. Time to dig out the scarf and gloves again.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders

Thanks for this mew chapter Mags.
Nice quotes from our absent friend Sao

Sober Weekend # 219 for me, I'll enjoy it as always - no hangovers anymore!
Have a good one too everybody! ☼
Old 02-12-2021, 03:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hello everyone..a little over 7 months free and my first weekenders thread participation..feel a little disconnected from normal life right now, so this is exactly what I need. Lockdown is taking its toll.
my tools;
I am using a lot of what other people have mentioned..the most powerful for me is “playing the tape forward”
New ones I am trying, affirmations in a morning...trying to set my mood for the day as early as possible
i am also (quite by accident) faking it till I make it...I listen to a lot of audio books from business gurus/successful people and try and copy their habits.
reinforcement..anything bad that happened in My past, I believe drinking created that situation and positive things are because I am sober. I say it out loud and tell as many people that will listen.. e.g I got my new job because I was sober, I had time to prepare, do my research and nailed it.

i just read that back and it seems I talk to myself a lot...first sign of going crazy isn’t it😂

one helpful tip I picked up on from one of my audio books..is discover what kind of learning style you have..audio, visual, kinaesthetic... it helps when choosing tools for your tool box. No point having a great book if it goes in one ear and out the other or An audio book that sends you to sleep or going to meetings that you can’t buy into..Etc

anyway I am a work in progress and apart from lockdown making me feel isolated I am the happiest I have been in years, I have check lists and a personal plan I am working through and ticking off and most of the time I am moving forward.

thanks for everyone on this site, I had ignored my problems, thought I was unique, didn’t think anyone was going through what I was..turned out this corner of the internet is full of people who have The same demons. You guys fight like hell, Not only for your own sobriety but for each others and that’s why I read everyday.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

What a fantastic first post in Weekenders, Haris2014. Welcome to our little type-fest.

So.

There is a bit of snow, not a lot...yet. Today is The Day apparently. I have the heat cranked up so in case the power goes out ...WHICH IT WON'T.

andyh, it made me giggle that you said you hoped everyone had power since if I didn't I wouldn't be able to read your very comforting words. Gorgeous fuchsia sunrise. That sets a beautiful intention for the day.

Good Friday Morning all.

There will be no drinking this weekend.