Notices

Is it an odd feeling to just feel done with drinking?

Old 02-09-2021, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it an odd feeling to just feel done with drinking?

I am not discounting the struggle that comes with quitting and the work associated with sobriety, and maintaining sobriety.

This quit is so different from my others—I just feel done with drinking. I feel old and tired. I feel sad and lost. I feel so over it. And, I just want to leave it all behind and start new—I’m just done....is this common at all?
Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was exhausted mentally, physically and spiritually when I stopped drinking. It wasn't easy to stop and move forward with recovery, but I was ready. I think when you're ready, you're ready. I'm glad things are going well, Suzie.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I Totally agree with Anna, I felt totally exhausted, mentally and physically. The time had come to move on because there was no enjoyment left, just an addiction. I did enjoy it when I was younger but as I've got older, it's just created more problems for me. I've realised I can't even have 1 drink because it sets me on a path to destruction. I hope things work out.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From what I've seen, quite common Suzie. The progression of my alcoholism wasn't a linear process, but I felt increasingly sad, frustrated and exhausted before I quit. It became scary for a little while like no other times before, but in retrospect I'm very happy it ended like that because it all led up to what I would describe now as a real "paradigm shift" (or psychic change, as they sometimes describe in AA). Something that feels entirely different, it feels like recovery at last
Old 02-09-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I started having mental/physical breakdowns. I literally had to take a knee while shopping one day. Once I had to pull my car to the side of the road. My equilibrium went off kilter for a minute.

If these things didn't happen, I would still be drunk. I would be drunk right now (off work early, get to go in late tomorrow).

Instead, I cooked up an amazing ribeye and pizza. I whipped up a brocolli salad using onion dip, crispy onions, and shredded chedder cheese. Me, my wife, and son ate like royalty.

It is a whole new and better world.

That being said, do I have regrets. Of course. I know some folks that had DUI or worse.

I would not have lived the interesting life I did. I might have gotten hit by a bus.

I might have overextended myself and gone bankrupt, I might have gotten married to some other women and she might have poisoned me for my Covette (that I didn't buy since I was a drunk).

When I am at my happiest, I am looking forward. Looking forward. The past is behind.

Each morning I get a new chance to approach life with all the vigor and positive energy I can muster.

Yah!

Sometimes I get down now. Nobody invited me over to their Superbowl part. But, I didn't invite them to mine either.

Anyway, thanks for the therapy.

Love love love.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

,My last quit was different to the others - I started thinking lifestyle change rather than periodic sobriety.
I hope you don't feel old and lost and sad and tired for too long tho - this is a new beginning, not an ending

D
Old 02-09-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
,My last quit was different to the others - I started thinking lifestyle change rather than periodic sobriety.
I hope you don't feel old and lost and sad and tired for too long tho - this is a new beginning, not an ending

D
Thanks everyone. And Dee, I absolutely see it as a beginning-finally ❤️ I know the road will be hard, but I’ve reached out for help and I am finally ready to do the work and put things to rest and behind me.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just had enough of the craziness that comes with drinking.... I have a tendency to get out of control, and I have had enough of it. Enough of the guilt and regret. Enough of hangovers... Enough of the anxiety and depression that comes with drinking
Old 02-09-2021, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I absolutely was done with drinking the day I took my last gulp SuzieQ. I just couldn't physically do it anymore and for the first time I just didn't want to. There have been some interesting discussions recently here on SR about some folks really grieving the loss of drinking and being a bit angry that those days have to be over and that we cannot moderate. I've been sober about 15 months and I still get an urge to drink here and there - mainly when something worthy of celebration has happened. But I took pictures and video of myself the last few days I drank and I kept a now-voluminous list of what life was like when I drank and what alcohol did to me. I need only refer back to the visual and written evidence and I am not tempted further.

Life is so much more quiet and simple not having to plan it around booze. You can leave it behind for good SuzieQ and never look back.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SuzieQ17, gosh finally a post that describes the way I feel! I’m 8 months away from 60 and just so, so ready to make this a permanent change.

I’m on day 40 and still feel that way. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. I am currently experiencing it as of late. It is a strange, nearly surreal feeling but I welcome it despite my occasional emotional discomfort.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes, it was an odd feeling
a most welcome one.
and yes, doesn’t mean there is no work, effort, change required.
done and done with it is what i summed up with “fini”.
keep going!
Old 02-09-2021, 11:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Most alcoholics have to be pretty badly mangled to "done" with drinking. I know I was. I had tried and tried to beat this, such was my desire to continue drinking and after my last drunk I was so beaten, so physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted I basically just threw my hands up and surrendered. I knew in my heart of hearts that I was done. That I HAD to be done.

My recovery has been a rocky road but I am 2 months away from my 3 year soberversary and it is without a shadow of a doubt the best thing I have ever done. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that just for today I do not have any desire for a drink , even if I could drink "normally" I would not want to.

Acceptance and surrender were pivotal to me starting my sober journey and I am so so grateful that I found Soberrecovery

🙏♥️🙏
Old 02-09-2021, 11:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I quit something had "turned" in me. I was just worn down physically and mentally by the booze. Somehow I knew when I made my Big Plan that I wasn't interested in going back out.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It definitely means you’re ready for a life of recovery 🙏
Old 02-10-2021, 04:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
I am not discounting the struggle that comes with quitting and the work associated with sobriety, and maintaining sobriety.

This quit is so different from my others—I just feel done with drinking. I feel old and tired. I feel sad and lost. I feel so over it. And, I just want to leave it all behind and start new—I’m just done....is this common at all?
I reached this point 3 years ago. Haven't looked back. Haven't really struggled much with alcohol. The struggle was in facing and cleaning up the messes I'd created. Most of the heavy lifting of that is behind me thank goodness.

So no, actually I like to think it's a good sign. Maybe you can let yourself feel good about it too? I've often said and reflected that getting sober shouldn't really be regarded as some sort of eulogy or funeral, rather it's really a celebration of finally letting go of the controlling absurdity and taking responsibility for our own humble domain. My life is unquantifiably, undeniably better today than it was 3 years ago. It's more authentic, simpler, relatively stable, than ever. I can not describe how much relief I feel at no longer needing to have any kind of relationship with alcohol - including any real need to explain why or whatever. It's gone and I'm not going back to it. End of story.

Best to you-

-B
Old 02-10-2021, 04:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I felt exactly the same way when I quit this last time (over 3 years ago). I was just so...over it!!!
Old 02-10-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post

It can be that way. It's really different than drinking, but people can be affected in all kinds of ways. There was no sadness for me at all. There were some tough decisions like how I was going to avoid friends with alcohol, basically cutting them off early on, and some that I would lose for good. I call them tough decisions, but that's not quite the right word. If I wanted to be sober, they had to be done. The over all feel of the whole thing was empowering joy and self confidence. I'm not sure if I was ever that determined in any other undertaking. Decisions had to be made, things were given up, but I never actually experienced a hint of sacrifice.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I got sober for good, I just knew/hoped/prayed it was forever. I was so sick and tired of always being sick and tired and drunk or recovering. The feeling of being done with drinking was an odd feeling, but a good one. Now I don't think of drinking at all, except for the times I feel glad I don't drink anymore and don't want to drink.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, Suzieq. Common to all of us who have reached the end of the line. And a good thing too. Didn't like that train after all. Stopped at too many deadbeat bars. Never really felt at home. And now I'm finding where home really is. "Magical Mystery Tour."

It's the place I had to reach, Suzieq , where the cons finally outweighed the pros. My list of pros stood blank before my eyes. I felt old and tired too. Also felt insane. At least now, I'm sober and insane.

Now begins the time for recovery, checking ourselves out in a meaningful way. Taking no shite any longer. We find our strength again. And whomever don't like it can go jump. I've been jumping too long.

I'm so glad you made it Suzieq.