Notices

Is it an odd feeling to just feel done with drinking?

Old 02-10-2021, 07:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've had some similar feelings, just know it gets better, that much is without exception guaranteed! One day at a time!
Old 02-10-2021, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ZIP

As I aged, drinking became less and less enjoyable, and became more and more a habit...every day after work and on weekends. No bad day at work, no turmoil, no special occasion or drinking friends required---just hit the booze.
I also became worried about possible long-term medical issues caused by alcoholism. So, I got help and decided to quit.
One of the best decisions I've made in life.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
I reached this point 3 years ago. Haven't looked back. Haven't really struggled much with alcohol. The struggle was in facing and cleaning up the messes I'd created. Most of the heavy lifting of that is behind me thank goodness.

So no, actually I like to think it's a good sign. Maybe you can let yourself feel good about it too? I've often said and reflected that getting sober shouldn't really be regarded as some sort of eulogy or funeral, rather it's really a celebration of finally letting go of the controlling absurdity and taking responsibility for our own humble domain. My life is unquantifiably, undeniably better today than it was 3 years ago. It's more authentic, simpler, relatively stable, than ever. I can not describe how much relief I feel at no longer needing to have any kind of relationship with alcohol - including any real need to explain why or whatever. It's gone and I'm not going back to it. End of story.

Best to you-

-B

This is pretty much how I feel. I had that "psychic shift" on December 4, 2014, and have not seriously wanted to drink since then. I'll never forget the moment when I realized I didn't have to drink anymore, that there was a new beginning just waiting for me to go get it, and that I was surrendering, once and for all. Before then I would try to quit for a while to prove I could, try to moderate, anything to keep drinking. But I was exhausted trying to keep drinking and I was more scared to continue than I was to quit.

I think most people who have lasting sobriety can tell you when that shift happened - that sort of inner "knowing" that your drinking days are over. I know people who don't have that shift, and they manage to stay sober, but I don't know how they manage, really. It must be very hard work. It takes complete surrender. You can't have a lingering thought that "maybe someday" you can drink again. Or that you still have any control over alcohol. I had to get to the point (the hard way, I might add) when I realized there would never be a time when I could safely drink again, and that once I take one drink, I cannot be trusted to make good decisions.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all for sharing ❤️