Notices

Dry skin, brain zaps and tinnitus

Old 02-09-2021, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dry skin, brain zaps and tinnitus

Just a short one guys.

I’m 43 days sober now and have noticed my skin becoming more and more dry as time goes on - which is clearly bizarre as I drink a lot of water, have been eating fruit, moisturising etc. I’ve never suffered with dry skin, but since not drinking my skin is so dry! Very confusing.

The dizzy spells seem to have all but disappeared however the constant ringing is driving me insane, and also it feels as though there is a “spark” or electric in my brain and I can feel it “zip zap” back and forth - I have no idea how to articulate this sensation as to say it is bizarre is an understatement - it’s not painful nor is it particularly annoying but it is there and I wish it wasn’t. No idea what on earth is going on.

Other than that, have been sleeping a lot lately as we’re still in lockdown here in the UK, it’s freezing cold outside and frankly, I’m fed up. But I’m 43 days sober, oh and I stopped vaping as well. That was three days ago but hasn’t caused the symptoms I described as they were present prior to quitting.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, lots of symptoms happen as the brain and body heals.

Winter dryness is a thing, too. Stay the course. Are you trying to diet by any chance? You need a certain amount of fat for good nutrition. Shoot for 20% to 35% of your daily calories to be fat. For a woman, that would be around 50-75grams a day. When I tried eating low-fat I had all kinds of skin issues.

We'll make it through this covid thing - even though it is really hard. We're all in it.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Erica375

Dry skin-- maybe just winter skin? I keep a vaporizer going all winter.

As for the other two, I have no clue. Maybe time to consult a health care professional?

In any case, I hope you find relief!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your brain and body are freeking out right now. A few years ago I would have paid money for my brain to zip-zap. Patience is the most important thing that I have learned since freeing myself from the clinches of addiction. Best wishes!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Essential fatty acids are really ESSENTIAL for skin health, brain health and all over body health.
I always say this and take it for what it is worth:

There is no amount of moisturizers that are going to change the way our skin is hydrated. Hydration starts from the inside out. We can slather our skin everyday but once we wash off that stuff we are in the same position from when we started. So we start internally:

Eating foods high in OMEGAS will lubricate the skin, joints, eyes and all over inside body health. If we are not eating fish a few times a week then we should be taking an omega of some sort. It can and will be helpful.

Hydration is not only about water. It is about mineral content too. Electrolytes are very important for hydration. Coconut water is a great way to get minerals and hydrate the body. Trace minerals can be found in all sorts of sports beverages or found in a concentrated liquid...capsules etc.

Just my take on the matter of skin .....

We are also in winter and this season can do a number on our skin. This is why it becomes crucial that we work from the inside out.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m not trying to lose weight as to be honest at around 120lbs I fear if I lost anymore I’d disappear haha!

My diet is excellent in terms of nutrition and variety, involving a lot of oily fish, lean meat, fruit, veg and other things such as nuts for snacking, olives and cheese. I drink nothing but water and tea (literally nothing else) and that’s black and green tea, so I know my diet is great. Who knows? Perhaps you’re right about winter skin. I just can’t help but find it ironic I get dry skin weeks after stopping drinking the dehydration fluid!

I’ll check in re: these symptoms in a few more weeks to track progress! Interesting and baffling!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's likely just dry skin due to cold winter weather, so hopefully it will improve as Spring comes along.

I had tinnitus before I began drinking. I know that I noticed it less when I was drinking. I'm sure it was there, but I was not focused on my health at that time. And, when I stopped drinking, it returned. But, you might find it eases up or goes away.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna;[url=tel:7589161
7589161[/url]]It's likely just dry skin due to cold winter weather, so hopefully it will improve as Spring comes along.

I had tinnitus before I began drinking. I know that I noticed it less when I was drinking. I'm sure it was there, but I was not focused on my health at that time. And, when I stopped drinking, it returned. But, you might find it eases up or goes away.
I hope so, Anna - but it seems very closely linked to these brain “zaps” I’m having - I wish I could describe them better, but there is no comparison that adequately puts it across - it’s kind of like the noise of crackling electric lines or something, but in my head!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My brain was all over the place, and still now is a bit iffy. Brain zaps are a great way to describe it. The best literature I've read say it takes about 6-24 months for the brain to heal from alcohol abuse. I'm at 11 months and occasionally get moments of clarity that show me what I've been missing, it's hard to realise what you were missing until things change.

Hang in there. It was 10 weeks for me the major change happened, my anxiety and low mood just drifted away after 10 years. I'm not completely serene all the time now but it's a massive improvement

Old 02-09-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
My brain was all over the place, and still now is a bit iffy. Brain zaps are a great way to describe it. The best literature I've read say it takes about 6-24 months for the brain to heal from alcohol abuse. I'm at 11 months and occasionally get moments of clarity that show me what I've been missing, it's hard to realise what you were missing until things change.

Hang in there. It was 10 weeks for me the major change happened, my anxiety and low mood just drifted away after 10 years. I'm not completely serene all the time now but it's a massive improvement

Thanks for this! It’s so bizarre! It’s not - it’s not annoying or torturous, but I do wish it wasn’t there! I guess it will take time and I was expecting that with moods and emotions, but this almost literal electrical rewiring has been a surprise haha!
Old 02-09-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAten View Post

Thanks for this! It’s so bizarre! It’s not - it’s not annoying or torturous, but I do wish it wasn’t there! I guess it will take time and I was expecting that with moods and emotions, but this almost literal electrical rewiring has been a surprise haha!
Because of the reading and watching I did about neuro science and the messages across synapses, I imagined those 'zaps' being my brain misfiring, or re-firing, or creating new pathways. Imagination, but a satisfying way of coping with them.

I used to get them terribly when falling asleep when I was drinking, on the odd sober day I had. It may even have been a fit; but it was like these zaps but cranked up to 1000000000

I don't get them anymore. Over time my body, brain and mood are slowly and surely returning to 'normal'. I'm still nuts but just in the way I'm meant to be 😬
Old 02-09-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You might want to talk to your regular doctor about the tinnitus and brain zaps Aten. It could be nothing, but it could be something.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but things with the brain can be serious and unrelated to getting sober. Perhaps it was happening but you did not notice while you were drinking?

I just mention this because I had some similar symptoms (not dry skin) and based on some family history stuff, I had a brain scan done. Thank God I did or I would probably be dead. I was only sober 6 months, and finally went in for a long overdue check up. I really figured it was nothing, and almost didnt even mention it to her, but it just spilled out.

If something feels off, listen your gut and see a doctor. Our bodies send warning signals.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there man. As far as tinnitus, mine always goes up if I consume excessive salt (like processed food) or caffeine. Mine are ringing right now due to 4 cups of coffee this morning. I thinks it's related to blood pressure as it also occurs after hard exercise sometimes.

It also is of course triggered by loud music. Man did I do some damage when drinking.. fortunately it tapered off over the years after I got scared and stopped cranking the Denon up. Always protect your hearing.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Brain zaps are sometimes associated with SNRI use (some find them a troubling side-effect, I quite enjoyed them when I was on an SNRI). Given that you haven't mentioned being on an anti-depressant in your post, I speculate that the zaps are the serotonin levels re-adjusting in your brain, following the removal of the depressant alcohol. Which is a good thing.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had these symptoms plus more with PAWS benzos.

Alcohol and benzos (Valium, eg) work on same receptor sites in our brain, similar action. "Alcohol in a pill."
I'm not suggesting you have PAWS simply relating my experience.

PAWS as result of alcohol is a much shorter lived phenomena than PAWS benzos, and symptoms will resolve with Time.

The 'brain zaps' can be frightening, but harmless from what I've read. Mine have stopped. My tinnitus is beginning to resolve, but has been consistent. I've gotten used to it.

This is my experience TheAten. See your doctor if symptoms persist.

Everything's going to be OK. Just don't drink, and give it time.

Edit: My skin, and hair, are no longer dry.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have brain zaps and I’m 15 months sober. It has got better but does still happen in a wave. Feels like electric shiver that starts in the brain and flows down the body. I think it’s simply too much excitatory activity in the brain. It will stop when the brain has a brake pedal again
Old 02-09-2021, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Through my 40’s my once oily skin continues to dry out. I make sure and use lotion with ceramides, and started taking collagen with hyaluronic acid which seems to help. I find Dr. Dray, a youtube dermatologist, to be a good resource for evidence-based cost-effective recommendations.
I slept like the dead all the way through my second year sober. 12 hours wasn’t unusual. I think healing from all those years of abuse takes its sweet time.
-bora

Old 02-09-2021, 11:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My skin has been drying out so much in my sobriety, and breaking out in adult acne. So I understand your frustration. I'm almost 3 months sober. Mizz has some solid advice about diet. Don't underestimate the value of a good quality moisturizer.

I don't have any experience with brain zaps or tinnitus, but I hope you find help and relief.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Deleted post as I already posted previously
Old 03-10-2021, 09:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing ok ant385.