Notices

Question About Antibuse

Old 02-07-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question About Antibuse

I have a question about Antibuse. If any of you have experience, I'd really appreciate a response. My parents know that I'm an alcoholic. I know that I am too. They are huge supports for me.
Dad mentioned Antibuse. He spent 30 years as a psych nurse here in the States.
I've never taken it but am willing, depending on how to go about getting it.
I have Medicaid. I don't necessarily want that information sent to my insurance. I don't even know how any of that works, but if you do, can you please help me out?
Old 02-07-2021, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never taken it but I'd encourage you to discuss things with your doctor at some point.

D
Old 02-07-2021, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I’ve taken lots of different medication prescribed for alcoholics. Antabuse is the oldest one and the reason that it’s prescribed is as a deterrent. If you drink while you’re taking Antabuse or any time within several weeks after quitting out abuse you will get violently ill. It does nothing for cravings. I took it and had no side effects as long as I didn’t drink! Insurance will pay for Antabuse. The generic for this medication is disulfiram and it has become quite expensive without insurance as have many (too many) other generic medications.

There are other, newer medications now being prescribed for alcoholism and other drug abuse. Some people I know have had great success with disulfiram, others do better on Campral, Vivitrol, or Neurontin.

I see no reason not to talk with your doctor about any of this medication, and have no hesitation myself with the information going to insurance. I have no designs on running for office or working for the CIA and really don’t care if some life insurance charges me a higher rate. Other than that, what’s the downside of doing anything that might support your new sober life?

I’m so glad you’re confronting your problem at a young age. I sure wish I’d done that!

O
Old 02-07-2021, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was offered it, but declined. I just use here, now.

Been sober 13 months.

We are all different tho.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My doctor was scared to prescribe Antabuse. The effects if you drink just sound too nasty. Obladi mentioned Campral which is what I took for a while to help reduce cravings. It may have helped, but it’s not a miracle cure. 95% of quitting is willpower.

As for speaking with your doc, I did this and it was the beginning of the end of my drinking days. My life insurance company asked questions but premiums were unaffected. I can’t see anywhere where you’ll be disadvantaged for honesty. If (hopefully not) you end up with alcohol-related liver cirrhosis in years to come, do you think your insurance company won’t ask questions?