Notices

Back on the Sober bus

Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hope I'm not late for today's sober bus.
A sober blessed day wished for all.
M
Old 02-10-2021, 12:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 4 today.... Feeling slightly better than yesterday. It has been a while since I have had 3 consecutive sober night.... Starting to feel more hopeful about the future
Old 02-11-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 5 today... I am feeling pretty good.... I am definitely more short tempered than usual though... I feel like the littlest things are aggravating me
Old 02-12-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 6 today... Feeling much better. Weekends have always been a major triger for me... I would typically dip out of work early, go out to lunch and drink 4-5 beers... from there i stop at the liquor store, and grab a 12 pack.... For dinner I would love to get take out from a restaurant for the family.... That way I could go early and suck down 2-3 beers at the bar.... Many times I arrived home with cold food, and an angry wife.... Continue drinking until bed time.

Not today though. Haven't had a sip since Saturday evening.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great job GoodLife32. You are strong. Don't let the weekend take you down. Just keep going, workout, pushups if you can't go for a run.

You got this!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 8 today..... Feels very good to wake up on the weekends without a hangover. Feeling much more mentally sharp than I have in a while. Been a long time since I had 7+ days off the sauce
Old 02-14-2021, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great to hear GoodLife! That first week under your belt is awesome progress!

Soon the thoughts will return that you can "have a couple" without a problem. Do not listen to the Beast. He wants you to stay in your addiction. Stay focused like a laser beam on your sobriety and the rewards will be huge - as you know from your prior experience.

You can do this, man!
Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodLife32 View Post
Day 8 today..... Feels very good to wake up on the weekends without a hangover. Feeling much more mentally sharp than I have in a while. Been a long time since I had 7+ days off the sauce
a solid week of sobriety!!!

well done, GoodLife!!!

keep at 'er.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 9 today..... Starting my work week on a Monday morning without being in an anxiety filled haze sure is nice.... I can not stop eating sweets... Cookies, chocolates, and basically anything with sugar. Has anyone else experienced this? Will these cravings eventually stop? I want cookies more than I want a beer at this point haha
Old 02-15-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodLife32 View Post
Day 9 today..... Starting my work week on a Monday morning without being in an anxiety filled haze sure is nice.... I can not stop eating sweets... Cookies, chocolates, and basically anything with sugar. Has anyone else experienced this? Will these cravings eventually stop? I want cookies more than I want a beer at this point haha
I drank heavily for 20 years, I 'didn't have a sweet tooth'.

Of all the lies I told myself this was the most damming 😂 .

YES - my sweet tooth returned and I indulged it gladly. Ice cream, chocolate, biscuits. I must say ice cream was the best craving-buster I ever found, something about it seems to do the trick so efficiently 😁
Old 02-15-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Glad you're still here, man. I never had a sweet tooth either - until I quit drinking. Sugar satisfies me as much as alcohol did now (serotonin) and in early recovery I used it in moderation to quell cravings. Obviously it's not good in excess, but better than putting alcohol into your body.

Enjoy the sweets for now, then taper back. You're doing great!
Old 02-15-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi GoodLife. That is awesome on Day 9. I don't have the sweet tooth, but it is a sugar thing. Our bodies prefer alcohol above all other sugars. It is nearly effortless for our systems to convert booze to sugars and straight into our bloodstreams. Now that you are sober, your brain is wondering where the damn sugar is. Hence your sweet tooth. My brain did a variation on that. For days and days when I got sober, I ate watermelon and raspberries and not much else. Piles of each. I think both fruits contain large amounts of fructose and if my body wasn't getting booze, my brain decided those two fruits were the next best thing.

For now, eat the cookies my friend. Keep eating the cookies. Your nutrition and optimum health will follow along in time once you are sober for a bit.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So I made it to day 17 last week, and I totally caved. Went on a 3 day bender that ended Friday afternoon..... Felt like total **** all weekend, had awful anxiety/depression, and the worst night sweats I have ever experienced..... I am back on 3 days sober right now.

I really do not know what happened... I had no intention on drinking, and I felt great. I was leaving the gym, and I drove by a restaurant/bar I used to go to alot, and I immediately pulled in. Once I did that, there was mentally no way I could turn back. I ended up drinking for about 2.5 days straight, before I snapped out of it... Just so crazy how it happened, and how quickly I got hammered.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm sorry that happened, GoodLife. I did it too in early sobriety. It served a purpose though - I was disgusted with myself, & even more determined to get free of it. It definitely didn't give me the happy, fun feelings I was looking for - just left me sick & empty. Now you know where it leads - let's try again.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back GoodLife

I needed a plan for those moment when I went past an bar and just pulled in - whether it's posting here, calling someone, going to an on line meeting playing the tape through, urge surfing - whatever range of things you do to stay sober you need to be able to access at least one of them instantly, when you need it?

D
Old 03-02-2021, 07:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee... it was just so crazy... as soon as I mentally make the decesion to consider having a drink, NOTHING can prevent me from having one. A sense of tense panic comes over me, which is only cured with a drink. You could tell me that you would give me $1000 cash not to go in the bar to drink, and I would walk right in the bar.

I have had many sober periods of 2-4+ weeks, but it is always one of these undeniable surprise cravings that get me. Same thing when I recently had 3 months
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Something has to be able to stop you. What were you doing for 3 months when you were sober?
What triggered the "idea" to drink? I do think you can get past this. I do think there is something that will work.
Have you talked with a professional? (medical and or psychologist)
Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Something has to be able to stop you. What were you doing for 3 months when you were sober?
What triggered the "idea" to drink? I do think you can get past this. I do think there is something that will work.
Have you talked with a professional? (medical and or psychologist)
Mizz, that is a good question. During the 3 sober months I never mentally allowed myself to even consider having a drink. Until xmas eve that is, when I had absolutely no intention to drink, but I drove by a liquor store, grabbed a 6 pack, cracked one right when I got to my car, then drove home I and drank the rest. Again, I had no intention at all of drinking that day, but such a powerful feeling came over me, I couldn’t deny it.

I have talked with a couple psychologists over the years, but they never really helped. I guess it’s just scary, as I can be so confident in my sobriety, and then bam, I’m drinking