Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Almost a year sober & now ready to tackle my nicotine addiction....

Notices

Old 02-06-2021, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had considered quitting smoking when I quit drinking but at the time I still really enjoyed smoking and decided not to quit both at once. I am nearing a year of sobriety and I am now ready to quit smoking cigarettes too. I am going to the gym 6 days a week and eating super healthy so I am finally at the point where my smoking is holding me back from progressing with my goals and also I can feel the physical effects from my smoking now. I'm not drunk 90 percent of my waking hours any longer so I can feel everything now. And lately I have felt lethargic, my chest hurts and I just feel icky after smoking a cigarette. I am a little anxious because the physical symptoms when quitting smoking are pretty bad, and I know it isn't gonna be easy. At least they have been for me in the past. I smoke a lot. And I've smoked since I was 16. Off and on.

On the plus side I do have the coping skills I've learned since getting sober to help me along the way. I don't want to take medications or use gum or anything. Just wondering if there is anyone else here who has managed to quit smoking cigarettes as well and if you have any tips send them my way please! I have a plan in place and am starting tomorrow. I thrive on plans and a schedule so I made sure to fill my day up tomorrow and made a list of my coping mechanisms to turn to if I feel super tempted. I'm just so ready to be living a fully healthy lifestyle and not feel so shi**y from smoking cigarettes. And to have complete freedom. I don't stress about when I'm going to get to have my next drink anymore and I can't wait not to stress about when I'm gonna be able to have my next cigarette as well.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful, safe and sober weekend.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may also find this thread useful Kateobr
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-13-a-12.html (24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club ~ Part 13)
D
Old 02-06-2021, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm wanting to do same kateobr. Really hate cigarettes, each one make me feel sick. And my wallet just as sick. Nothing positive going for it at all.

I smoke rollie tobacco and have determined this to be my last pack. Probabably about 6 smokes left. There's bumpers (butts) in the ashtray which I know I'll unroll, re-roll. How embarrassing.

THIS IS MY LAST PACK! Day 1 tomorrow (!) 8th February, 2021.

I'm going to use replacement therapy tho. I know I have to take this route. Just me.

Good luck, and good management Kate. A next right step for us both. Yay! Like, tiny squeaky yay.

Maybe we could go to Quit Smoking Forum here, and give backup? Progress? No pressure.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the board link Dee! And yes Steely! We can encourage each other!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let's do it Kate.

When you are ready go to Quit Smoking forum here. I'm going tomorrow, just to get my ball rolling.

Check me out. I'll be the crazy person with a glazed look in my eye.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking Kate. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Like you, I waited a while after getting sober. A book by Alan Carr titled easybwaybto quit smoking turned it all around for me. Great stuff in there.

Steely, so happy to see you back at it!
Old 02-06-2021, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never quit quittin', Libby. Phew!

Thanks.

This time!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

People at meetings used to talk about not putting pressure on ourselves to fix everything in one day. This was usually in reference to drinking, smoking, and/or eating. If it had to do with sex, there was another twelve-step program for that.

I had a very difficult time trying to stop smoking. Not so many people were concerned about the unwanted physical and medical consequences associated with smoking cigarettes in 1983.

People were encouraged to eat whatever they wanted to eat, and few seemed to require persuasion in that direction. There was not so much label-reading back then or warnings about spontaneous combustion from fast food. I personally never cared about how much sugar and fat is in ice cream. Until right before I decided to stop eating it.

I was anxious a lot of the time. I had difficulty with falling asleep and then with staying asleep when I did. Every night. Camomile and Sleepy Time tea, melatonin, valerian root, and all the other usual suspects of the time. Working nights helped a little. I was a bartender.

I was in graduate school and working full-time a few years later. I decided not to quit smoking until I got my degree. Smoking while studying at home, and especially while doing research and writing papers, was something I did in college. Ongoing negotiations. I have an active imagination.

At least four weeks -- maybe even twice that -- before I finished with school, for the time being, before finals, I chose to chainsmoke with the idea that if I were to make myself sick from smoking so much (and not emptying the ash trays) it would help me get through that crucial first week. I was unwittingly doing a similar thing as I was doing before I stopped drinking. Only I never intended to get sober.

My plan worked in the sense that I became disgusted with the smell. I got through the first week and much more, but not without dumping some rage in all the wrong places. Probably every day. But that did it for me with cigarettes. Until I relapsed about sixteen years after I stopped smoking. And then I quit again after I got sober again.

I support you and everyone else in anything that you do in the service of maintaining and improving your health and well-being.

It started out as an annoyance, a nagging concern, something I would probably do at a later time. And then it became a mission. I don't recommend my way of quitting smoking to anyone.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That was a great post EndGame. Thank you so much.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have not attempted to quit just yet but I have a book by Allen Carr that may or may not help.
Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking.
Good Luck.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 20 years before I quit drinking. Of the two, smoking was much harder for me. Nicotine is highly addictive, making the cravings much more intense. I kind of liked smoking, but that was deceptive. Of course I liked it because it was the only thing that could satisfy my nicotine cravings, and with out the necessary nicotine in my system I was miserable. I was working at a university, and the health department offered a free "Stop Smoking" clinic, where we met every day at noon. It was run by a doctor and a psychologist. Like drinking, it helped me to have a place to go every day to report in.

One of the big problems with nicotine recovery are the intensity of the cravings. The first week, all I could think about was cigarettes. It was nonstop 24 hours. The other big problem is just about the time the cravings are backing off, and you are sitting there with your head spinning and so grateful to have made it through, the mother of all cravings comes out of nowhere. It's depressing, because you feel like you just lost all the progress you have made, and those intense cravings can pop up unexpectedly for a year or two afterwards. But like alcohol, you eventually start laughing them off.

Back when I quit smoking, it was still considered fashionable to smoke even though everyone knew it was bad for you, and you only looked stupid to health fanatics. Today, smoking is not fashionable, so smokers tend to be seen as pathetic slaves to their addiction as they force everyone around them to breath their second hand smoke. And anti-smoking laws draw even more attention to the addiction of smokers.

Quitting smoking was definitely a bigger deal in my life than drinking. Good luck. There's nothing wrong with being a health nut. It's actually an admirable life style. But not smoking will be another important point of pride in yourself.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks DriGuy,

I've tried many times to quit, but relapse every time. Habituated. Nicotine has an extremely short half life. When one is smoked withdrawal starts in about 20 minutes (?) so we have another, then another.....Before you know it smoking a pack a day, and some. Scavenging bumpers from an ashtray. . It's horrible.

I'm kicking off tomorrow in the Stop Nicotine/Smoking thread. People seem to be doing pretty well there, 24 hours at a time.

Maybe you can join us there sometime C0ntr0ls.

This time!

Old 02-07-2021, 01:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I stopped smoking many years ago, I stopped on minute one and went from there, minute to hour, today to week etc. I was so addicted, 20 to 30 a day. It was the same with my drinking, though I stopped I had a relapse but stopped minute one, to hour to week etc. I think the 'immediate stop' worked for me because I really wanted it both mentally and physically. I didn't want either of them in my life, controlling / impacting on me, my time, my sleep, my heath. After so many years being a non smoker I don't have to work on it as much as being sober. So the immediate stop worked for me, but it took a while to get to that point.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Seems like a great plan. For me having no addictions was/is the goal of recovery.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Nicotine has an extremely short half life. When one is smoked withdrawal starts in about 20 minutes (?) so we have another, then another.....Before you know it smoking a pack a day, and some. Scavenging bumpers from an ashtray. . It's horrible.
Yes, it's a rude awakening to realize you need nicotine that much when you start resmoking butts. One weekend, another guy and I decided to visit a friend who worked on a remote fire lookout in Montana. This one involved a six mile hike one way, and since lookouts tend to be placed on the tops of the mountains the direction of travel is always up. I was rolling my own back then, and thought since I was going to be doing something healthy that involved a long lung busting climb, I would take a bare minimum of tobacco with me. Half way through the weekend, I was disassembling the ashtray butts and recycling the tobacco, which tasted horrible because it had filtered all the previous smoke which still lingered in the stale remains. But it satisfied my nicotine cravings until I ran out of the leftovers, and then I just went nuts the rest of the time on the mountain.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really loved the taste of my craft beer but the alcohol.... I loved the ease and comfort of the alcohol but the effect was destroying me. The alcohol had to go along with the delivery method of craft beer.

What was causing harm with cigarette smoking was the delivery method of burning plants and paper in my lungs. Nicotine wasn't getting me arrested. I never sent crazy messages about politics or sports because of nicotine. Nicotine was only making me want to smoke more cigarettes.

I discovered vaping and reduced my cigarette smoking drastically almost overnight. I smoked sometimes while drinking but eventually realized even drunk, i would rather vape. I put the cigarettes away all together in 2014.

Its amazing how much better I feel. I enjoy the flavors, I have some custard cookie right now and it's delicious. I can control the amount of nicotine and some people step it down all the way to 0 and break the nicotine addiction all together that way. Nicotine addiction is completely different then alcohol. Gradual reduction is more feasible with nicotine then alcohol. I enjoy nicotine and the process of vaping. I still feel good mentally, physically, spiritually and it doesn't get me arrested.

The media in America, big tobacco, and others have spread so much mis information that its hard to believe. The media, spread mis information is what they do best! State governments are in a panic over vape for fear of losing tax revenue so they come up with nonsense.

I buy from reputable vape shops. I do not vape marijuana. I'm not saying it can or can't be vaped safely i don't know im not in that marijuana loop anymore. It was a certain oil people tried to vape that harmed people. Not reputable nicotine vape products. There was a case in Texas that was made to look like it was nicotine but further investigation proved it was marijuana. State governments have a problem with vape because it reduces tobacco tax revenue. They are dependent on tobacco taxes. That's why many of these politicians are against it.

They love the save the children angle as well. Big tobacco has invested in cheap e cigarettes sold at gas stationstations, 7-11 and such. I do not buy these products because they are garbage. Its very rare that a reputable vape shop is going to sell to sell to children. Its mostly mom and pop shops. They take their business seriously and can't afford to take chances by selling to kids.

Imagine if they put a ban on flavored vodka because it was attractive to children!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello,

Longtime reader, first post, but had to jump in as I am almost 6 years nicotine free and wanted to second the recommendation for Allen Carr’s book, “ the Easy Way...” as it really challenges the way we think about smoking. I quit after being hospitalized for vocal cord cancer ( now completely cancer-free! ) and found the book two weeks into my quit; it really helped shore up my resolve and made so much sense.

You might also download the Quit Now app which tracks your days as well as how much money you’re saving. According to how much I smoked, I’ve saved over $11,000 ! Whatever methods you try, I wish you the best. The rewards are enormous.

I want to also say hello to everyone while I’m at it! Found this site a few years ago as I’ve had friends and family who have struggled with alcoholism. A very close friend and professional mentor died last year following a fall after drinking. This is such a wonderful and supportive community!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard aunttee

D
Old 02-08-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Libby06 View Post
A book by Alan Carr titled easybwaybto quit smoking turned it all around for me.!
You said it better than me Aunttee! Thats what I meant to say. Lol welcome to SR

I read it about a week after I quit too, and it was probably the biggest reason I was successful after many failed attempts. It really locked down my resolve. I believe you can find the audio book for free on the internet too.

I also did the quit tracker, and at 19 months I have saved $8034 US dollars, and as a bonus also gained 84 days of my life! 17000 Ciggies not smoked!

I recommend all new quitters do these 2 things. I never ever thought I could quit smoking, but I did. If I can, you can too! Its marvelous

Old 02-14-2021, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had quit dipping for over a year. Then about 6 months after quitting alcohol/pot I picked it up again. Seems like I’m always trading one vice for another. Wasn’t planning on starting again but went thru a very difficult few weeks around Christmas and gave in. Nasty habit.