Notices

Hope for recovery

Old 02-06-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope for recovery

Hello there, I am a newcomer to this site. I've been struggling with alcohol and drugs and it's only got worse. I'm hoping to change my life around and become a better person without substances. Today's day 2 and its getting past the withdrawals that I find extremely Hard.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Izzyak and I'm glad you found us.

Yes, the withdrawals in the early days are tough, but you can get through it. If, you are concerned about the withdrawals, you can always talk to your dr or go to an ER if necessary. Do whatever you can to take care of yourself - rest, eat well, just take it easy. And, remember that you never have to go through this again.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anna, Thankyou for your response. Some days I feel like I'm in this mess all alone. I will try my best to recover from this addiction. I have wife and children whom I do Not want to lose. I have to overcome this. Bless
Old 02-06-2021, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are not alone. For sure, you will find support here. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today I've been well but certainly concerned about what will happen on days 4 and 5. I know I should take each day at a time. I'm confident that as long as I'm seeking help and support I can pull through this. Theres no fun in alcohol and drugs anymore. It always starts off as a bit of fun, I'd never thought I would become addicted but over time that's exactly what's happened.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Izzyak. You have not shared how much or how long you were drinking, or any other details, but if it was a lot, you should be prepared to go to the hospital if necessary. Withdrawal from alcohol and drugs can be really rough or even fatal. Please don't go back to drinking but have a backup plan. Glad you are here. Sobriety is a much better way of living.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello there,
I have been drinking alcohol and taking drugs for the last 20 years. I am a functioning addict and during this time I was sober for maybe 2 years. I have been substances abuser for some time in and off. This last year I just lost control, as my tolerance to alcohol and drugs was higher. Now even if I gave 1 drink it's a massive trigger and I cant stop at 1, I end up binge drinking and taking drugs. I have been doing this to alleviate the stress's of life,work, family, depression, anxiety. I have recently lost my job and things just got worse from there. Definitely need help!!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on day 2. You will find a lot of good advice on this forum. It has helped me go from day one to over three weeks after the last round of binge drinking. With the help of SR, Iplan on continuing sobriety!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Izzyak

I commend you for choosing sobriety over 'self-destruction'. I urge you to participate here at SR as your personal recovery program. As you already know 'alone' we can struggle. Together we can heal one-another.

Stick around, read some threads, look through the stickeys (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did)). Your in the right place
Old 02-06-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi izzy1962,
Thanks for your reply, I need to try harder because I was never really a hardcore drinker but over time even if you drink in small amounts over time you need more alcohol and drugs, everything goes. I know a can do this. Withdrawals is not nice, hence I keep going round in circles.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Zencat,
I will certainly take your advice. I need to fix up and starting enjoying life the way it was meant to be lived. I'm hoping to really try Hard to get through the weeks and months but also need to acknowledge to take one day at a time.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Izzyak View Post
Hello there, I am a newcomer to this site. I've been struggling with alcohol and drugs and it's only got worse. I'm hoping to change my life around and become a better person without substances. Today's day 2 and its getting past the withdrawals that I find extremely Hard.
The hardest part for me has always been after the early days. Once you feel better. One the sickness is gone. I've even written letters to myself to try and remember how bad it was. But once I felt better the wanting the drink and feeling able to drink always returned.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Rul23,
how are you doing nowadays. How did you manage to pull through.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Rul23,
how are you doing nowadays. How did you manage to pull through.
I haven't yet. Bouts of sobriety here and there. Few months on. Few months off. Working on convincing myself that my drinking isn't normal. I recently discovered it's easier not to drink at all than to moderate. So here I am. Hang in there. We are all working through this together.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hiya,
I've definitely realised that i can't drink not even 1 drink, because this drink will lead me to binge drink and drug use. I'm hoping that if I dont start with the drink I can get through this. Easier said then done, I'm already craving alcohol and drugs. Horrible feeling
Old 02-06-2021, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Izzyak .
Old 02-06-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie 64.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hiya,
I've definitely realised that i can't drink not even 1 drink, because this drink will lead me to binge drink and drug use. I'm hoping that if I dont start with the drink I can get through this. Easier said then done, I'm already craving alcohol and drugs. Horrible feeling
one thing that always gives me hope is how many on SR say it gets easier and is worth it. Trust the process. And it's not just here. Many, many recovering alcoholics say this. They all can't be wrong.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Izzy.

I tried to moderate for a very very long time. It never worked. Always returned to destructive levels. Took me a long time to learn. Seems you have learned this lesson already. Congrats. A vital step. Absolutely necessary step.

I finally got the message, and wanted sobriety more than I wanted to drink (stupid) alcohol. I've been sober 13 months Izzy, and it is so much better.

Each day sober will build your "sober muscles." You will grow stronger. It's so worth it Izzy.

I hope you continue to post. Alcohol abuse has the the reputation of being "the great remover." Don't let it take anymore from you. You can do this.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks steely.
Congrats on 13 months sober. You must be feeling great. I really need the normal feeling, I don't even know if my main problem is alcohol or drugs, I'd say both but alcohol always started my destructive behaviour. I'm really going to try for abstinence as I think that's my only HOPE.
I want to enjoy life again being sober and spending good quality time with family.