Notices

Weird Dreams

Old 02-06-2021, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Weird Dreams

I've heard lots of people tell of having dreams where they are in recovery, but wind up drinking and blowing weeks, months, years of sobriety. I've had them too, and very recently. I'm also having weird dreams in general.

So I'm working on diet and exercise and getting my body into ketosis to enhance weight loss, blood sugar stabilization and other benefits of the keto diet et al. I've just gotten my body into moderate ketosis, and damned if I didn't dream I scarfed down a large candy bar last night . I woke up from the dream relieved, and had a chuckle - I mean that's pretty comical isn't it? LOL

I'm also noticing as my sober days increase in number (38 today) I'm having more vivid dreams and remembering more parts of the dreams. Maybe because my brain is healing from drinking the toxin ethanol for so long? Anyhoo, I'm enjoying improving sleep patterns even with the frequent strange dreams.

So what do you guys dream about?

Old 02-06-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OX

I get excited putting my sober head to pillow for all the upcoming attractions. I love dreaming.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. Took me a while sober to start getting good sleep. It is my understanding you dream during REM sleep which is deep sleep. I have dreams almost every night now. Often they are from back in my college days, but Good or bad- I wake up knowing I got some good sleep.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're doing well, John. Had to laugh at the candy bar dream, haha.

I have lots of vivid dreams at night, sometimes nonsensical, sometimes with chases involved (me being the escapee), sometimes symbolic in other ways.

it's generally a bit of a wild ride, haha.

Keep up the good work! Enjoy the midnight matinee..
Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
I've heard lots of people tell of having dreams where they are in recovery, but wind up drinking and blowing weeks, months, years of sobriety. I've had them too, and very recently. I'm also having weird dreams in general.

So I'm working on diet and exercise and getting my body into ketosis to enhance weight loss, blood sugar stabilization and other benefits of the keto diet et al. I've just gotten my body into moderate ketosis, and damned if I didn't dream I scarfed down a large candy bar last night . I woke up from the dream relieved, and had a chuckle - I mean that's pretty comical isn't it? LOL

I'm also noticing as my sober days increase in number (38 today) I'm having more vivid dreams and remembering more parts of the dreams. Maybe because my brain is healing from drinking the toxin ethanol for so long? Anyhoo, I'm enjoying improving sleep patterns even with the frequent strange dreams.

So what do you guys dream about?

In my longest recent sobriety of four months I dreamt of booze at least once a week
Old 02-07-2021, 02:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My dreams are just crazy weird, mainly I remember the using dreams (i have alot of dreams about drinking) my weirdest dream I was taking a shot out of a cat food tin can, trying to sneak a shot in. Told you. Weird.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Last night I was ice skating/skiing on asphalt and concrete. No snow, just gliding along on pavement, lol. And I'm from the south and only ice skated in an arena once in my life - and I was terrible at it.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Last nights dream was me blowing a job because I worked on servers completely blacked out, not fixing things and making matters worse. Apparently I lied to my boss and blamed a son I never had. Came clean two days after the bender and was eagerly awaiting my dismissal.

These Rotten I still black out dreams don’t happen that much anymore but two years later, here I am having one and so relieved it wasn’t real when I woke up!
Old 02-07-2021, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have cool dreams now too. I have terrible scary dreams as well.

I watch tons of horror flicks now. I think they helped me heal.

Being anxious because a ridiculous drama/horror movie seemed to calm me in other aspects of life.

Romance movies make me romantic. Go figure.

Anyway, something you mentioned that caught my attention was the thing about the "brain healing."

Something that keeps me sober minded is that I don't think my brain ever really healed as much as it normalized. Maybe not even normalized.

Sort of like I got used to seeing the world through my permanent alky induced brain damage.

Since I don't drink anymore, and never again, I have something to get used to. My brain is not being routinely accosted by booze anymore.

Images of a lifetime alky's brain compared to someone that didn't drink are sobering. The brain takes on different dimensions.

Think about it. Soak a piece of meat in a chemically altered bath, for years. Things will change.

On the bright side, the brain can rewire and I have gotten used to a new normal.

So, healing no, adjusting yes. Again, helps me to not relapse.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I resonate with the crazy dreams! Since about day three onward (on day 31 now), i almost always remember my dreams. They are usually me running away from something or someone or sometimes me relapsing. I've also been sugar free and last night's dream came with me binge eating all my family's Valentine's day chocolates and i got caught with all the wrappers! 😂

I love going to sleep, i love remembering the content and laughing.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
I get excited putting my sober head to pillow for all the upcoming attractions. I love dreaming.
I second that! Ever since I stopped drinking I feel like I'm going to the movie theater when I go to sleep. It's awesome...even the scary ones. LOL