Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Peeling away the layers Weekenders- Weekenders 05-08 February 2021

Notices

Peeling away the layers Weekenders- Weekenders 05-08 February 2021

Old 02-05-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Devizes, it is brave of you to own up to your slip. You can do this! I don't have specific advice about bulimia, but surfing those urges must be similar to getting past an alcohol craving. The more times you resist, the stronger you get. Keep at it!
Old 02-05-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Devizes - don't forget you managed a long streak of success through one of the hardest periods of the year for eating disorders..

Its not going to take 7 years this time

You know how to stop - now the work starts on staying stopped.

Break down that plan and build it up again stronger and more effective
I believe you can do it!

D
Old 02-05-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat Lixie.

D
Old 02-05-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What an opening post Mags...lot of work as always - thanks

Old 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Has anyone else experienced a relapse because they just didn’t care that drinking was the worst thing for them at that time but just wanted to “check out”? I’ve found the last 2 relapses we’re just that and it’s so hard to fight off. Any strategies on how you have fought it off in the past?
Old 02-05-2021, 07:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Devizes, You’ve got the formula, you can stick with it, and fine tune as Dee says, and don’t forget to shout help when you need it.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Bodhi02 View Post
Has anyone else experienced a relapse because they just didn’t care that drinking was the worst thing for them at that time but just wanted to “check out”? I’ve found the last 2 relapses we’re just that and it’s so hard to fight off. Any strategies on how you have fought it off in the past?

Bodhi I had relapses because I didn’t care what happened to me (I had low esteem and drinking veiled the feeling) but I know now with hindsight when I drank my mind wasn’t stable and I didn’t think straight.

For me I was spiralling down a deep chasm but before I hit the bottom I clung with my fingertips.

I saw myself clearly for the first time and didn’t like what I’d become. That became my first day sober. I didn’t want to be that person again. Coming here to SR I gained the tools to use against any addictive thoughts.
The addictive voice lessens the more you don’t give in to it until one day i couldn’t hear it anymore.

If it does come back I’ve the ‘sober tools’ I’ve gained to squash it.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I think you have to 'fake it til you make it' Bodhi - drinking left me with almost no self esteem but it came back with sobriety

Right now, years of drinking may leave you feeling you're not worth the effort - but you absolutely are - we all are

D
Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bodhi02 View Post
Yes definitively, in fact less so relapses, more I just didn't stop drinking, quite the opposite, I drank more and more and cared less and less about myself. All that mattered was to be numb - whatever it took. Eventually it didn't work anymore, no matter how much I drank. Then I had no choice than to crawl out of my pit of self loathing and get sober.

I had to truly fight cravings, impulses and learnt behaviours to drink. It's challenging to say the least and still a work in progress. Do anything but drink (or drug). Walk, run, pace, sleep or whatever.. No matter what, don't drink, ever. Then you will be sober. Good luck.

Devizes be gentle with yourself, forgive and continue your healthy journey.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Devizes - hopefully you are able to stay bulimia-free from today. Take care.

Bodhi - a lot of my relapses have been because I didn't care that drinking was the worst thing for me. I drank to switch off my brain from thinking about how I was feeling. One thing that has helped me is to realise that the drinking is largely the cause of how I'm feeling in the first place so I was drinking to switch off the feelings that drinking itself had caused. It's a circular thing and one which can be broken by using a variety of sober tools. I'm at the stage where I know what the tools are, it's just that sometimes I choose not to use them, with predictable results.

Willow - please take the rain! It's actually stopped raining at the moment but there's more on the way. Hopefully we'll get some snow at some point though.

I'm not sure what to do today. I had planned to go to go and do a big food shop this morning but it's too cold and damp outside to be heading off anywhere. I think I might just get what I need from the local shops and save the food shopping until tomorrow. There's plenty of football on TV today so I think a lazy day may be on the cards...
Old 02-06-2021, 02:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Indoor activities today, it's too darn cold outside! The dog won't even go outside, her bladder must be bursting... Got to get some firewood though, electric heating just won't do it today.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:44 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Morning Weekenders

Devizes - hopefully you are able to stay bulimia-free from today. Take care.

Bodhi - a lot of my relapses have been because I didn't care that drinking was the worst thing for me. I drank to switch off my brain from thinking about how I was feeling. One thing that has helped me is to realise that the drinking is largely the cause of how I'm feeling in the first place so I was drinking to switch off the feelings that drinking itself had caused. It's a circular thing and one which can be broken by using a variety of sober tools. I'm at the stage where I know what the tools are, it's just that sometimes I choose not to use them, with predictable results.

Willow - please take the rain!
I agree with Robbie

Look after yourself Devizes, you can do this

And Bodhi I have felt just like this too, and what Robbie said about alcohol actually causing it is true. And I know this, but still have chosen to drink in the past, many times, knowing that it’s a bad idea, but not caring enough to not drink. But it just doesn’t help. At all.

And I think we have to do what Kaily said. Anything to not drink. Run, walk, phone a friend, get on SR, distract yourself, cook a nutritious meal, take a shower, go to bed, drink tea, more tea, find a delicious N/A drink (ginger & lemon or cranberry are my favourites), get a new hobby. Do anything at all except drink. It’s tough in the early days, but we’re worth it, and it will be worth it in the long run, and it will get easier.

And Robbie, I’ll gladly have some of your rain!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:24 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

^
Willow, there's more of it coming down now! Just as I'm about to leave the house too...
Old 02-06-2021, 03:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

We're finally getting a little rain, which is good to see.

What I was doing to myself had become so obvious in those last couple of years that even I could see it. Just for the sake of making myself sick most nights. Not sure that I would pull myself back from a relapse, so treating it as my only shot.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday, Troopz ~

As good as *just another* Saturday gets. And, that's fine by me. We have a couple of sunny Days on tap, and the Sun is beaming in now to heat this Solar Joint. This makes for Sunsets as seen below from the Patio.

Due primarily to the light duty of printing out Return Labels occasionally for stuff MesaMate has ordered, I spent some of yesterday trying to get a new mondo Laser Printer going. No luck yet. Electrons are stuck somewhere. As with many purchases, it's overkill. But, I got tired of Ink Cartridges drying out, and Pages not printing. FWP = First World Problems. In more promising developments, I got MesaPup's new Tracking Collar communicating with my Phone, so we can keep solid tabs on him once we let him off-Leash after training. He's now at 30 lbs. [13.6 Kg.], but is well-behaved for a 4 Month-old Pup.

My Mental Metaphor noted here over the Years was a Japanese-style Box within another Box, Open one in Sobriety, and integrate Insights found therein. Rinse & Repeat. Keep digging.
Musta been all my High Tech Biz Trips to Asia over the Decades that rubbed off on me.

Meanwhile, Willow68 nails the approach I took, and put forth as advice into the Sober Universe: 'distract yourself'.

My sincere, sympathetic vibes for you and your Cat, Lixie.

Thanks for the Opener, Mags. It brought Tears to my Eyes.

My Theme Song from 40 Years ago for what's been happening all around during these - um - interesting times...

'Lunatic Fringe' ~ Red Rider

Old 02-06-2021, 08:54 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wow! Mesa.
Awesome photo.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Evening All. So much rain the last 24 hours the front pathway looks like a fast flowing river! Been very bored today, I can’t wait till I can go further than 5 miles from my home so I can get to the seaside. Going to bed sober but the cravings are strong and just gotta keep pushing through.

Really sorry to hear about your furbaby Lixie x

Take care everyone and catch you tomorrow x
Old 02-06-2021, 11:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Mr

Goodnight Manta

I remembered I never replied to you about your Faith no More post. I was not much of a fan nor Mr Bungle even if I listened last year to some of the new album. Any band with Dave Lombardo and Scott Ian is worth a listen. Not before going to bed though...

I wonder when will we back in a metal concert with everybody sweating and breathing on everybody like the BAY strikes back tour in Toulouse in february 2020

Goodnight weekenders from France where it's 21h00.

Vinny
Old 02-06-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Gorgeous photo Mesa What a fabulous view from the patio!

Hang in there Manta, we know it’s not worth it Sleep well

It’s a sober Sunday morning here and it’s muggy and overcast. Hopefully it might rain today. The forecast says 50% chance of rain. Nothing like sitting on the fence lol.

Have a happy sober Sunday (or Saturday night for the northern hemispherians)
Old 02-06-2021, 06:19 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I spotted Jonathan and his mate down at the beach ❤️