Notices

Something is changing

Old 02-03-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something is changing

A few situations with communication or lack thereof have come up that would usually provoke a strong reaction from me. I have been noticing that instead of reacting, I am sitting with it. Just sitting. Thinking. Not overly emotional. Processing. I could 'react" but where will that get me? I could do a lot of things about it but I haven't. I'm also not in an episode of anxiety. These types of situations would usually provoke an episode.

This is a completely different approach and one that feels necessary to me. Healthy. I've been asked "Would you like to talk about it? "No. I don't want to talk about it." I don't want to do anything with it. I can decide later.

Perhaps I'll decide to move on or Ill decide to address the problem. For now, I get to hold the cards of deciding what is best for me and my mental health. What will keep me level? What keeps me here and now? I then set about to do the things that keeps me here and now and level.

I know I am being vague. Its intentional.

I attribute this lack of reaction to my sobriety. I kind of feel like I'm doing grown up stuff, guys!! GO US!

Old 02-03-2021, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ditto!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful stuff and, as always, so good to be on this side of sobriety with you Mizz.

I attribute literally each and every aspect of goodness and worth in my life to my sobriety. It's that valuable and crucial.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it sounds like you're experiencing some of the positives of recovery.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, Mizz. That's exactly how I was feeling yesterday, and was going to post on it, but you beat me to the punch.

Have been extremely stressed lately with my daughter in hospital. Visited her yesterday, and as I was wandering around the shops following, knew they would be close to closing, and wouldn't be able to get the things I needed. But I didn't care. Just meandered towards the shops in a peace I have not felt for years.

So what if they're closed, I can go tomorrow. I looked at the trees, my surroundings. Reminded myself that I had done well by my daughter, as well as myself, as had reminded her gently that I would not be able to 'jump to her gun' whenever she demanded. And I meant it. She, as a child. And I've allowed it to happen, too.

I wandered in peace Mizz. I had no thought of wandering towards the pub. The pub I would usually go following such a visit to the hospital. A certain peace Mizz, even though so much to think about. Which in itself is so much better than smashing the thinking with alcohol. Starting to think again.

Yay, us!

Old 02-03-2021, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love all of these posts. Left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside. Lol. So many beautiful things about living a sober life and recovery and I love reading others experiences on this journey.

" A certain peace Mizz, even though so much to think about. Which in itself is so much better than smashing the thinking with alcohol. Starting to think again."....loved this Steely. Really made me smile!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been practicing Mindfulness. And living in the present moment. Not getting caught in the past not in the future. Just enjoying the moment. When I was using I made things alot more harder on myself with resentment of the past and anxiety about the future. I did alot of things off of impulse. My stress level has definitely decreased. Everyone have a great day.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Were doing it Kate!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree this is one of the many good things about recovery - congrats guys

D