Notices

Saturday Cravings

Old 01-30-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saturday Cravings

12th day sober and today’s craving have been the worst yet. The demons in my head are saying “you’re feeling lonely, you know what will make you feel less alone? Going to a bar and socializing with others.” Staying sober through this thought has me coming to the realizations, I combat loneliness with alcohol and my social circle revolves around bars. As tempted as I am to drink, I’ve played out the reel in my head and realize it’s temporary comfort and tomorrow will only be filled with discomfort and regret.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay strong Gus—you can do this. Playing the tape is important. I’m only 2 months sober, but it’s getting better each day. Stay close to SR.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best wishes from the UK Gus
Old 01-30-2021, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

It's really hard in the beginning but over time it gets easier and soon you're Saturdays are filled with other activities to keep you busy and productive. For tonight the goal is simple : Don't drink. If it gets too rough - maybe call it a night and just hit bed and watch Netflix.

Play that tape through. You know the temporary relief isn't worth all the mess that follows. You can do this!
Old 01-30-2021, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah try and keep busy and don't engage in dialogue with the voice - you don't want what it wants.
Here are some other anti cravings ideas
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
D
Old 01-30-2021, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

While reading your words I had a thought that Friday nights and Saturdays were more like Mondays and Tuesdays when I first stopped drinking. They became grey and lifeless. It's only one reason why I went to a lot of meetings.

There was a meeting on Saturday nights a few blocks from where I was living. The church was located conveniently across the street from a coffee shop. One time I told my sponsor that everyone seemed to dress up for this meeting and asked if it was because it was Saturday night. He told me that the meeting is like a singles bar without the booze. It was usually a good meeting and at a good time for Saturday nights. It was cool to see people all dressed up.

Sometimes the abrupt changes and rude awakenings can be very harsh in the beginning. That was true for me. I was lost. I got better. You will too.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

While reading your words I had a thought that Friday nights and Saturdays were more like Mondays and Tuesdays when I first stopped drinking. They became grey and lifeless. It's only one reason why I went to a lot of meetings.

There was a meeting on Saturday nights a few blocks from where I was living. The church was located conveniently across the street from a coffee shop. One time I told my sponsor that everyone seemed to dress up for this meeting and asked if it was because it was Saturday night. He told me that the meeting is like a singles bar without the booze. It was usually a good meeting and at a good time for Saturday nights. It was cool to see people all dressed up.

Sometimes the abrupt changes and rude awakenings can be very harsh in the beginning. That was true for me. I was lost. I got better. You will too.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Old 01-30-2021, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Uh-oh!
Old 01-30-2021, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

....well the advice was good enough to be worth reading a couple of times.
God, I can relate to the op tho....
Saturday afternoons.....are the worst. And I don't go to bars for company.
So it turns into " let's just chill and drink on Saturday arvos" Fine. All good.
But then Saturday comes around again and you've been fanging it all week.
Off it goes again......'recovery Sunday night....boring Monday. Nothing on the TV....
have the weekends leftovers Monday nite......
Rinse, as they say, and repeat.....