Notices

Six weeks Sober, still dizzy and anxious

Old 01-29-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six weeks Sober, still dizzy and anxious

Hello all. Yesterday was my six weeks sober day. My biggest struggles are anxiety, depression, dizziness(more like motion sickness or rocking sensation) and missing red wine. I have been to multiple doctors and had lots of tests done and the prevailing opinion is that my dizziness is due to anxiety and or my central nervous system adjusting to being alcohol free after decades of drinking. I have this fear that something else is going on. MRI of my brain was good. Having an MRI of my neck and back maybe next week due to back and neck pain. Anyway, apparently anxiety can cause all kinds of crazy symptoms.

I am still finding myself thinking about pouring a glass of wine at 5 everyday. When I see my husband and daughter drink sometimes it is okay and sometimes it is difficult. But my will power so far is very strong. I keep thinking if these aches and pains, tingling and dizziness would just go away I will feel much more hopeful.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had anxiety when they quit drinking that caused strange symptoms that eventually went away.

Peace to all!

Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats of 6 weeks! You're seeing a Doctor and that is good. They are probably right about the re-adjustment.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only time I get anxious is when I don't exercise. You may wish to try it as well. I find swimming, hiking, and biking of great value. What if you developed a 5 o'clock routine of ______ (insert some kind of exercise)?

Just a thought...

Warren
Old 01-29-2021, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Warren.

I have been an athlete all my life. It has been very therapeutic for anxiety and depression. I do walk almost daily. The dizziness is preventing me from tennis that I love so much right now. The pandemic doesn't help either. But hopefully soon playing doubles will be safe again.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Exercise isn't a cure all. I do bootcamp and run daily and still have panic attacks.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My anxiety peaked at around 2-2 1/2months and has improved somewhat since then ( at basically 4 1/2 months in) It takes awhile for the GABA and glutamate levels to balanceos to for some of us. It seems like it is the most common PAWS symptom.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post

I am still finding myself thinking about pouring a glass of wine at 5 everyday. When I see my husband and daughter drink sometimes it is okay and sometimes it is difficult. But my will power so far is very strong.
That would be really hard for me, if I were struggling like you are. People can be so selfish about their drinking. Can you ask them to drink in another room?

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
I keep thinking if these aches and pains, tingling and dizziness would just go away I will feel much more hopeful.

Peace to all!
Sorry to hear it's still going on. I would ask if anything else at all has changed. Some people are experiencing significant physical effects from the pandemic situation. Dry eye (from too much screen time) has become common, I had that one. Also spinal changes, and neck pain from sitting so much - this could be affecting you if you've been working from home.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Six weeks of sobriety is great. I think exercise helps, too. Do you have any regular exercise in your day/week? The worst time of the day for me was 6 -8 PM. So, I started planning to be outside and taking a long walk at that point, usually right after supper. It really helped my mood and had many other benefits, too.

I hope the symptoms you're having do clear up soon, but the fact the doctor can find nothing wrong is encouraging.