Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Strong cravings tonight but coming here to post instead of driving to the liquor store

Notices

Strong cravings tonight but coming here to post instead of driving to the liquor store

Old 01-27-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great job Amy!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Good job, Amy. I am sure you feel great this morning. If you had of succumbed to those cravings last night, you'd be all dry mouthed, headache, tired, foggy, and beating yourself up for caving.

Make a promise to yourself - say these words....."I will NEVER drink again, no matter what, and I will NEVER change my mind." Every time you get a craving, say those words to remind yourself that you CHOOSE never to drink again. Don't open the door even a crack. No excuses - it doesn't matter what happens you will NEVER drink over it.

That is the above method I used and come the end of February I will have 6 years of sobriety.
CF
Old 01-27-2021, 09:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going well for you today, Amy.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Good job, Amy. I am sure you feel great this morning. If you had of succumbed to those cravings last night, you'd be all dry mouthed, headache, tired, foggy, and beating yourself up for caving.

Make a promise to yourself - say these words....."I will NEVER drink again, no matter what, and I will NEVER change my mind." Every time you get a craving, say those words to remind yourself that you CHOOSE never to drink again. Don't open the door even a crack. No excuses - it doesn't matter what happens you will NEVER drink over it.

That is the above method I used and come the end of February I will have 6 years of sobriety.
CF

Yes I felt 100% better this morning after winning the battle over booze with a clear head and conscience! Great words of advice and motivation,thank you!🙏
Old 01-27-2021, 08:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hope it's going well for you today, Amy.
Yes today was a good sober day also, and now another sober night under my belt~ I am feeling very grateful!
Old 01-29-2021, 05:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How are things going Amy?
Old 01-30-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
How are things going Amy?
Thank you for checking in and it’s a good day today! I am sorry to admit that I caved and drank on Thursday night but got up again yesterday (Friday) morning determined to keep on the sobriety path and I have been sober since yesterday . Looking back on why I slipped, I felt overwhelmed due to a very stressful deadline at work and worked nonstop to get everything done in time, I was still at working at the computer 9 pm at night , so 12 hours of stress. I let myself drink as a ‘reward’ for all this effort. But I really felt crappy the next day which brought it home to me that it is NOT a reward at all! And of course I did not reach out or use my tools so that was why also. I normally beat myself after I cave and start drinking every day after that, but I decided to be gentle with myself and not beat myself up, and just continue my sober journey the next morning. I also went to Zoom AA meetings yesterday and today. Progress not perfection, but they are positive steps forward in my mind ! It feels different this time, and I genuinely have no desire to drink today. Going to stay mindful of how much better I feel physically and mentally when I am sober ! 🙏🌈
Old 01-30-2021, 02:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe identify and have on hand your next reward, Amy? And keep on staying positive!
Old 01-30-2021, 02:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Amy, learn from this experience. It won’t be the last stressful day you’ll have. What’ll be different next time? If you’ve got alcohol in the house, get rid. It’ll suck to have no alcohol nearby when stressed, but it’ll be that much easier the next time and the next. Drinking after hard work is far from being a reward. You could’ve ordered a posh takeaway which would’ve been way healthier and nicer. Once you get into the mindset of not drinking, you lose the habit. Right now I’ve got a headache/migraine from working/sleeping late. I paid for a private yoga session (I saved so much from not drinking) and that helps. It’s a big myth that drinking relieves stress. The stress is due to the lack of alcohol.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amy1 View Post
Wow, very strong cravings to get in that car and drive to the liquor store tonight! BUT, I’m coming here to post instead. I’m going to try to sit with the strong cravings and loneliness which usually I cave and go for that bottle. It’s 730 pm here on the east coast and I am going to get into my pajamas and NOT drive to the liquor store. I can get though a couple more hours til an early bed, and just posting here honestly is helpful in it self!!

Amy
im proud of u. My "safe space" has always been shower & PJs. Once i got into that, all was good.
I'm currently on a sad Covid binge. My business is on the brink of bankruptcy, im stuck at home. All i can say, is I wish I could deal with this. I busted 4+ years sober when my biz got shut down. While the situation is brutal, i "hate" every sip i take. Nothing good comes from it.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear what happened to your business Joe. This pandemic is a nightmare.

Put the drink down as soon as you can - as you know it just makes everything worse over the long run.

Hang in there friend. Wishing you the best.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Way to go Amy! We have all slipped up but you're doing great to get right back on the sober wagon!
Old 02-01-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Amy-
Those stressful moments can get the best of us if we let them. It is good you are back on the path. You can make a different decision next time when the stress is overwhelming. Check in here, take a bath, check in here while taking a bath, drink tea......eat. You got this.

Joe- I am so sorry to hear of your business. I think your being here on the forum is a great sign that you dont want to be drinking now. What if you reached out to the community by starting a thread? Strength in numbers. Take care of yourself.