Notices

Sobriety works even when it hurts

Old 01-25-2021, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety works even when it hurts

Had to have my daughter admitted to hospital yesterday. She didn't even know what year we are living in. Psychotic. Schizophrenia sucks, and she doesn't want to have it, and I don't want her to have it either. But she has it nonetheless. Told me she was desperately trying to hold onto her sanity. And she will after she's stabilised. She's strong, and she's good.

Sat waiting for admission and thought of a pub not far from the hospital. It was a passing thought of zero persuasion, knew what it would bring. Managed the whole process sober, and I sit here this morning sad, but so grateful to be sober.

You help me keep my mind SR. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you & you daughter are dealing with this, but I'm glad you're sober so you can be there for her!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's so good that you are able to be present and helpful during your daughter's crisis.

I hope she feels better quickly and can go home.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your daughter is so fortunate to have you fully present and there to help her Steely. Mental illness in some fashion comes for most of us at some point and I shudder to think how many go through all of that without a strong person in their lives to be there for them. I'll be thinking about you and your daughter.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Steely, I'm really sorry that your daughter and you are going through this. I hope she will be stabilized and out of hospital very quickly. She needs you and you're there for her.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Steely - my mum has been hospitalised 4 times over the last decade, and each time it feels worse. Last time it happened was because the GP took her off her meds (I was furious about that one). I can understand the way you’re feeling, and you’re in my thoughts and prayers. Sending love
Old 01-25-2021, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you all. Thanks.

My daughter has come off her meds too Atem. It's been a disaster.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m really sorry Steely. We’re all with you, sending support.

D
Old 01-25-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You were present for your daughter, Steely, how lovely. I do hope that she receives appropriate treatment and is safely home, very soon 🤗.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Had to have my daughter admitted to hospital yesterday. She didn't even know what year we are living in. Psychotic. Schizophrenia sucks, and she doesn't want to have it, and I don't want her to have it either. But she has it nonetheless. Told me she was desperately trying to hold onto her sanity. And she will after she's stabilised. She's strong, and she's good.

Sat waiting for admission and thought of a pub not far from the hospital. It was a passing thought of zero persuasion, knew what it would bring. Managed the whole process sober, and I sit here this morning sad, but so grateful to be sober.

“The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don’t.” -Joker
Old 01-25-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((Steely))) I'm so glad you're sober to be there for your daughter. I hope she is soon stabilized and able to come home.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is the worst part stickyone.

I think people are afraid of mental illness in others. Maybe see reflections of themselves, and seek to deny it. Demand the person be not so mentally ill. Doh!

I needed to read that stickyone, because can be guilty of very same.

Visiting my daughter today with that thought in mind.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Steely - I'll send up some prayers. I'm so proud of you for not seriously considering our old 'cure' for when trouble comes. I think we are finally convinced it never helps & only adds to our misery.
Sharing your concern & upset.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is the worst part stickyone.

I think people are afraid of mental illness in others. Maybe see reflections of themselves, and seek to deny it. Demand the person be not so mentally ill. Doh!

I needed to read that stickyone, because can be guilty of very same.

Visiting my daughter today with that thought in mind.
I also deal with mental health issues and for many years I was brought up to ignore it. And eventually it will go away. Not true. when someone you love says they have problems with mental illness it is one of the biggest steps that person could take in the right direction. Being sober and there for your love ones when you can is great. But first things first we must take care of ourselves before we can care for others. I hope this helps you with your family. Take care.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this but glad she’s being stabilized. My 19 daughter also struggles with serious mental illness. It’s so difficult to cope with but at least we are sober and not having to deal with the burden of hangovers and all the other crap that goes with drinking. Sending hopeful vibes your way
Old 01-25-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry, Steely. Schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses run in one lineage of my family on a spectrum with varying severity, and it seriously affects the life of even those who have milder versions - it is a truly challenging condition both for the sufferer and their loved ones. Some only got diagnosed quite late in life. At least your daughter knows and has you to support her - it is abundantly clear from your contributions to this forum how caring and thoughtful a person you are. I hope she gets out of this spell soon and finds an effective treatment combination. Sending good thoughts you way
Old 01-25-2021, 04:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah Steely, at least sober we have a fighting chance. Drinking, there is none. Sorry about your daughter. My oldest has a unique disease called PANDAS and my presence is really important and would be impossible without sobriety.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am with you, Steely
Old 01-25-2021, 06:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, Steely. You are an incredibly wise and capable person, and you are fully present for her. She could not be in better hands. Take care of yourself too. You and your daughter are in my thoughts.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your daughter. That is really incredible that you we're able to stay strong through it, for her and with her.