Notices

Hi - Day 19 for me

Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi - Day 19 for me

Happy to be 19 days sober. It's been a struggle for several years now and this is the first time I've really quit. I've wanted to stop for at least a couple years now, but there was always an excuse to push it off until tomorrow, or until the weekend.

In December I started to feel discomfort where my liver is and it hit me like a ton of bricks: quit, or you'll be dead soon. I'm way, way, too young to go down that road.

So here I am, 19 days in. Mentally I feel a lot better. The body is a bit slower to recover; it has improved a little day by day, but there is still some discomfort and I understand that it may take quite some additional time to fully recover, and there may or may not be some permanent damage. I will be setting up an appointment with my primary for next week, and let him point me in the right direction on that front.

Now that I've found the determination to make this change, does anyone have any other advice? I will be reading through other people's advice and stories in other threads and learning from them as well.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome P51D - Congrats on your 19 days sober - that's wonderful.
I'm glad you're going to see your dr. soon. It's good that you're going to let him know about the drinking.
I found that reading & posting here really helped ease my anxiety. I also read books on recovery that helped me stay determined.
I felt a little restless in the beginning - had to remind myself to be patient while I healed. I tried to stay hydrated, eat healthy, & keep busy. It's great to be free.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome P51D - Congrats on your 19 days sober - that's wonderful.
I'm glad you're going to see your dr. soon. It's good that you're going to let him know about the drinking.
I found that reading & posting here really helped ease my anxiety. I also read books on recovery that helped me stay determined.
I felt a little restless in the beginning - had to remind myself to be patient while I healed. I tried to stay hydrated, eat healthy, & keep busy. It's great to be free.
Thanks

Reading around here is a big achievement for me. Often times my way of dealing with things that stress me out is to completely shut down and ignore them. If I still couldn't keep them out of mind, alcohol was there. It's time to face my addiction head on. There is no other way.

Of course it's also easier to be honest around people who know what it's like.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on 19 days.
the most important piece I of advice I keep reminding myself of is that it is the first drink that will bring it all unstuck, Giving value to the false belief that moderation is possible.
For me, every time, that choice to allow myself a few drinks after abstinence causes me to rapidly return to old drinking habits/routines. As you know it is very hard to stop.
Keep at it p51d. Let's both relearn how to deal with our stresses in a more effective way
Old 01-23-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good bird to name yourself after.

Welcome to Real Life.

You're gonna love it.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalcall View Post
Well done on 19 days.
the most important piece I of advice I keep reminding myself of is that it is the first drink that will bring it all unstuck, Giving value to the false belief that moderation is possible.
For me, every time, that choice to allow myself a few drinks after abstinence causes me to rapidly return to old drinking habits/routines. As you know it is very hard to stop.
Keep at it p51d. Let's both relearn how to deal with our stresses in a more effective way
That's something I have learned as well. There is no moderation for me. Once I start, I won't stop until I'm asleep for the night. Then I won't feel 100% the next day, but that's easily solved with some more drinks to get me energized again! The pattern continues to infinity. When I am drinking, my brain thinks alcohol is a miracle cure all. It most certainly is not.

I knew this long before I came to terms with it, I think.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 19 days.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, that was my undoing - not being able to stop, no matter how many promises I made to myself. I'd plan on one drink, & it ended up being the whole bottle. Once the first drink went down, all willpower disappeared. Then the next day, hair of the dog. That resulted in 'round the clock drinking for me. Can't believe I somehow justified it.
In my heart, I knew it was insane - but it took me years to stop trying to be a social drinker. So thankful to no longer be in that trap.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful info here. I hope our support helps you stay sober like it helps me.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful info here. I hope our support helps you stay sober like it helps me.
Thanks! Reading through people's stories on here is teaching me a lot about myself.

I haven't had the desire to drink since a couple days after I stopped, but I know that it's something I have to watch out for ...forever.

Luckily I have January and February almost completely off from work to just focus on myself. I'm going to make an effort to check in here most days, even if it's just to lurk. Something to keep me focused, and for everyone to remind me why I quit.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time and welcome P51Dmustang

D
Old 01-24-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats keep it up.