Notices

I finally did it

Old 01-22-2021, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally did it

I’ve been an alcoholic for 10+ years. I’ve been mortified to reach out for help. I feel so ashamed and helpless. I’m losing my family, my job, and my sanity. I finally had to reach out.

My doctor was kind and understanding. He is referring me to a therapist and prescribing me meds to help through detox.

I hope anyone out there looking for help finds the courage to ask for it.

Alcohol takes your life before it kills you. Don’t let it.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That takes a lot of courage and I applaud the step you have taken. The acknowledgement that you cannot do it on your own is a hard one to swallow but it might become the best thing you've ever done for yourself.

I have no real history with alcohol myself but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people around this forum who have been through it all and more. You will find this place can do wonders for you.

I wish you the very best and please, keep up updated on how you're doing, even if things aren't well. I would say: especially when things aren't well.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Basset
This can be a very pivotal point for you. Many of us have been where you are. Like many of us, getting sober may be the hardest thing you have ever done but ultimately the most rewarding with huge benefits to reap. Stay close and keep posting!
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes it takes a lot of losses and pain for us to wake up and see what we are doing to ourselves. Some still don't stop even when they lose everything. Good for you for grabbing hold of your drinking and doing something to keep things from getting worse. Takes a brave person to do that. John
Old 01-22-2021, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you reached out and that your doctor was supportive.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on reaching out for help. Shame is not without utility (it can alert me to the need for inventory, amends, etc.), but for the most part I have found it to be a perverse form of pride that just keeps me cut off from my Higher Power.

The first time I ever said "I'm an alcoholic" out loud was around 1987. Now, my sobriety year is 2002. In the 15 years between '87 and '02, I celebrated 2 years three different times (and 4 years once). I simply could not stay clean and sober until I realized there is only one effective solution for me and that's the one laid out in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. That may not apply to you, but I hope you'll keep an open mind about the possibility that it might apply to you.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome BassetDog!

Glad you sought help, life is so much better without being weighed down physically and mentally with this. Keep posting - there is so much understanding and support here.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are seeking support! You don't have to do it alone. Sober recovery groups are great too.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on doing that BassetDog - asking for help is a great first step to lasting change

D
Old 01-22-2021, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome, @BassetDog! Nothing changes until you make the effort to change it, so kudos for taking that step!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Basset- I was right where you are 38 days ago. Losing family, home, job. Desperate and in severe withdrawals. Thought I was losing my sanity. Hang in there- sobriety doesn't cure all of the problems but you will be feeling better in a week or two. You will be thinking clearer and you will look back on this time as the time when you took control of your life. We had been digging our hole deeper, putting down the "shovel" is a life-changer.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family BD. You're smart to stop drinking before something worse happens. You'll find lots of support and good ideas here.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Basset. Good for you for having the courage to reach out for help. We're here to support you.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome BassetDog.

You feel loss at the moment, but as your sobriety grows you will see the gains.

You have come to the right place.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That was a very brave thing, and you will not regret reaching out for help. I’m glad you are working with your doctor and a therapist. SR is another great resource.

Welcome!😊
Old 01-23-2021, 03:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done, Basset. I too was scared of ever going to the doc, but mine was also very understanding.

Seeing my doc was the catalyst to stop drinking once and for all. Not that I needed constant reminders any more, but two years on, my doc still asks if I’m drinking, although she did say she could tell I wasn’t (physique, etc). Your doc will always ask that question, and no one likes lying to their doctor, especially when they know if someone is a drinker or not. Well done again, Basset.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great decision. Feeling shame will just drag you down, let your actions speak for themselves: sober and living a positive life in recovery does this in my experience.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. I truly do appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slayingthedrago View Post
Basset- I was right where you are 38 days ago. Losing family, home, job. Desperate and in severe withdrawals. Thought I was losing my sanity. Hang in there- sobriety doesn't cure all of the problems but you will be feeling better in a week or two. You will be thinking clearer and you will look back on this time as the time when you took control of your life. We had been digging our hole deeper, putting down the "shovel" is a life-changer.
Congrats on 38 days! That feels like an impossible task to me at the moment. Thank you for reaching out.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Your life can get better in ways you can't even imagine from this point forward.