Notices

Hello

Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I am new to this... I know I need to quit, and i can go several days without drinking. But then something pisses me off and off I go, 12oz of vodka gone, along with my self respect. I want this to be my rock bottom. I don’t want to lose my job or drive my car off a cliff as my wake up call. I know I need to quit. How do you stop?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by Drunkskunk View Post
How do you stop?
It starts with a commitment. A commitment to quit drinking and never resume. A commitment to do whatever it takes to keep that promise. That might mean a structured recovery program, like AA. It might mean medically supervised detox and a stay in rehab. It might mean reading and posting to Sober Recovery every day. Whatever you decide, it has to provide you with the coping strategies to NOT reach for the bottle as your solution.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Alcoholics Anonymous can help. There are now Zoom meetings available all day.

"Resentment is the “number one’’ offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically. (p.64, Alcoholics Anonymous, first edition).
Old 01-21-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many, including myself quit by reading and posting regularly here on SR. By reading you gain insight into how alcoholism works, mainly the concept of the AV - Addictive Voice, which is what tells us we "need a drink" or that "we can only have a couple". We also learn that we can't drink any quantity at all, because the urge for more of the buzz quickly overwhelms the resistance in the frontal lobes, so we become uninhibited in our behavior and our consumption.

Once you learn how it works it doesn't seem so daunting. First and foremost, you have to really want to quit. To have come to the realization that the pleasure of the buzz is not worth the resulting damage. To work to find other ways to dissipate your anger, of which there are many. There are many ways to quit but almost all require support - both in reinforcing our decision and to hold us accountable. For those reasons the best thing you can do is join a "class" on here - a group of others who quit the same month. Many also find AA really helpful as a way to get the support and knowledge necessary.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome DS!

What can you do the next time someone or something makes you angry that doesn't involve pouring liquor into your mouth?
Go for a walk or run?
Lift weights?
or - my personal favorite - demolition (because somewhere there is something that needs to be in smaller pieces!)

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-21-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. Having a plan in place will help you to get past the first days and this link is full of information about recovery programs and lots of tips:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 01-21-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

lots of good advice here. Welcome DS

D
Old 01-21-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome DS.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi & welcome DS. How are you doing right now?
Old 01-21-2021, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, DS - you came to a great place for encouragement.
I used alcohol to calm myself down, cheer myself up, etc. It never actually worked - just made me numb for a little while. All our problems are still there waiting for us when we sober up. Not facing things sober kept me doing dumb things for many years. We don't need it in our lives. Time to get free. We know you can.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. In order to stop drinking, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. One thing I've found that helps my sobriety more than anything is to practice gratitude every day.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This forum has been very instrumental in my recovery.

How do you stop? Well, It involves making the decision that you will no longer drink and then you set out to accomplish this mission.

I made a plan for my day and night. A structured plan that involved waking in the morning to SR with coffee, running or weights or both, going to work and after work drinking hot tea, eating dinner, attending AA meetings at night, taking hot baths, going to bed early and watching a series on TV or participating here. I did this every single day until it became my new "habit."

If I felt triggered or went into severe anxiety I came here. If I felt awful, I came here. If I felt good, I came here. As long as I was not drinking then I accomplished everything I needed to that day. I am still accomplishing but I have more ease now. More time. More energy. More room. I don't want to drink.

You can do this. Read up. Post. Engage. We are here for you and its a very positive place, in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots of great advice here! SR is a wonderful forum, it helped me get sober, read and post daily, spend some time reading in the thread Anna shared and decide a few things that will work for you.

Glad you found us!
❤️ Delilah
Old 01-22-2021, 03:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR.