Notices

Can a person "outgrow" alcoholism? For lack of a better word?

Old 01-18-2021, 08:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Outgrow? I doubt it. I guess I'm having a hard time with the word choice. Being an addict isn't some adolescent malady like bad skin. But if what you are asking is whether we can permanently move beyond the things that can trip us up? I don't think we ever can move beyond those things. I think it actually might be a pretty damn sophisticated version of an AV at work to plant the thought that we have "risen above" and are no longer burdened with the lowly chains of addiction. Just a thought.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had that same experience with just turning the switched off. The first time was in 2017 and I took advantage of it thinking I could be a normal drinker again. After 4 months I started drinking again then after 3 years I prayed to god I could find that switch again. I finally did find it and turned it off again. Please DON'T take advantage of it RUN with it and never look back.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi babycat.

After I'd posted I did recall that you'd said, "for want of a better word". But it was too late, I'd already pressed Send. And then I thought about it....

Maybe you're are simply experiencing the first flush of what it can mean to be sober, and you're really digging it.

Good reason to press on, could get even better.

Maybe the "honeymoon period" (?) is a necessary component of entering sobriety more completely? A type of defence, euphoria against the knowledge that we are now going to have to put the work in. This can be really scary.

A temptress maybe? A temptress designed to have us continue the journey we have thus far avoided.

But, unlike the temptation of alcohol offers reward we have not yet dreamed.

I'm hanging for it babycat. It never gets old.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I wouldn't say I've 'outgrown' my alcoholism, more like I just moved on to a state of mind where alcohol no longer interests me.
This is how I feel too.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I am honestly baffled. I am 38 and have spent the better part of the last 16 years (longer if you count weekend binging ) drinking alcoholically. I mean often drinking around the clock, sneaking sips at work to avoid withdrawal, drunkenly posting embarrassing stuff on social media all the time, going to the ER due to withdrawal, keeping wine or gin next to my bed all the time. Last time I detoxed at the beginning of December I was around a fifth a day. I mean, I was bad.

I am now over a month and a half sober. I have had about this time before but it was not at all easy. I would feel great but knew it was just a matter of time till I was drinking again. On weekends I absolutely LONGED to get wasted at brunch. I romanticized drinking constantly.

Now, it is like something just switched off inside me. Or switched on? I just don't care to drink and it is frankly, ******* weird. I am NOT at all complaining, it is an absolute blessing but I also can't help but feel like wth??? When is the other shoe going to drop? Is it truly possible that this curse just lifted??

Now, I have mentioned in the past that my husband is also an alcoholic but I have always been worse. We have been sober together in this so I am sure that has helped. But again, this is not the first time we have done this together. At the end of every weekend we comment to each other how nice said weekend has been. We get stuff done, remember our conversations food and movies, go for walks etc.

Anyone else have such an experience? Could it be that my body and mind just both got fed up together? Is this just a temporary bliss? One of the strange things about me is that I always am anxious about something and when I am not anxious, while it is pleasant, I almost feel like something is missing. I guess this just feels to good to be true.

I NEVER want to go back to where I was before.

I am grateful, confused and cautiously optimistic.
IMHO a TRUE 'Alcoholic' can NEVER safely drink again.
it's AlcoholISM not Wasum
Old 01-19-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Can a person "outgrow" alcoholism? For lack of a better word?

Alcoholism is a life sentence. Outgrowing it is the fantasy of every practicing alcoholic. It's why many of us never stop drinking. Instead of quitting, we drink ourselves into stupor after stupor trying to prove that we can drink like normal people. You almost have to admire their dedication to the fantasy, even though their logic leaves much to be desired.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think I heard from your post that there is a "safety" right now given that you and your husband both quit drinking. This makes sense. There is no alcohol in the home and you both seem to be moving in the right direction.

What happens if your husband falters on his resolve?

Having a "dialed in" recovery life is what will get you through those moments when the "urge" strikes. The "urge" to drink will come, and its what we do with that "urge" that will make or break us. I really had to change my life and what I did with my life. I'm not saying your sobriety is contingent on your husbands sobriety at all. I can see how easy it is right now and when it gets hard, cause it will, there needs to be a plan in place for you. Only you

Many good responses here.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If it is that easy for you then you are blessed. Enjoy the feeling and congratulations!
Old 01-19-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The last time I was in rehab the doctor said it would take 2 years for my brain to recover .
No outgrowing .
Old 01-19-2021, 09:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NONIA View Post
The last time I was in rehab the doctor said it would take 2 years for my brain to recover .
No outgrowing .
It is no surprise that the Aftercare here is for a period of 2 years, mainly down to that reason.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

REALLY regretting my choice of words here....
Old 01-19-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL. Baby cat, in the end, its good you have no urge to drink right now - I hope that continues a long time.

D
Old 01-19-2021, 11:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
LOL. Baby cat, in the end, its good you have no urge to drink right now - I hope that continues a long time.

D
Thank ya Dee. People's reactions are indeed understandable. I just know I cannot get complacent here.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was thinking same babycat. Wrong choice of words, and everyone jumped on the hook. Me included.

I guess people saw the the word "outgrow" and it triggered memories of their own experience/rationalisations and were compelled to the fore. Not a bad thing, though frustrating for you to read.

I think all of us have thought that we might "get over it." This is obviously not you, and definitely the number one step in finding long term, constructive sobriety.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hope you continue to post and find the understanding you need.

Enjoy the day babycat, you're sober!

Old 01-19-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I was thinking same babycat. Wrong choice of words, and everyone jumped on the hook. Me included.

I guess people saw the the word "outgrow" and it triggered memories of their own experience/rationalisations and were compelled to the fore. Not a bad thing, though frustrating for you to read.

I think all of us have thought that we might "get over it." This is obviously not you, and definitely the number one step in finding long term, constructive sobriety.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hope you continue to post and find the understanding you need.

Enjoy the day babycat, you're sober!

Thank you so much Steely, I really appreciate it. Ah well lol. Like you said, I am sober and I feel good!!
Old 01-19-2021, 12:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's OK babycat.

I really felt for you as could see you trying explain and everyone else was running a different race. A good race nonetheless. "Growing Out Theory" proves to be pretty popular amongst us 'alcoholics' in the early days.

I used to think that after I'd sorted all of the psychological stuff that underpinned my drinking I'd be able to drink 'normally'. It was not not to be and found it to be a much more complex beast. Incredibly complex, but as simple as all get up and go after the decision is made to stop, and to mean it. To know it.

Well, I'm glad we got that sorted. My sister was telling me about a movie, "The Conversation". Two kids overhear two adults discussing what they believe to be a murder plot. It turns out that they'd misheard ONE word, and everything turned to shite. There was no plot, but a lot of people got into trouble. Something like that.

You could make a short short film out of this one babycat. It would be interesting.

Just want you to know that sobriety is so much much better babycat. Glad you are here.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're getting a buzz for life. Embrace it, enjoy it and work on it. The sensible move is to continue getting a bigger and better buzzes from life. I wish you luck x
Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
~sb

This period of time is sometimes called The Pink Cloud. It can stay or it can leave you. Give time time and see what happens. I really wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what you mean by "outgrow." When I think of that word I think of kind of like you mentioned, an immature teenager or college student who eventually matures and realizes the partying lifestyle is not for them anymore. I don't associate outgrow with a person who has a drinking problem who stops and then starts again.

If you are asking if one day you will be able to drink again like a person who isn't an alcoholic -- well it depends. If you are truly an alcoholic then no. That'll never happen. You have a disease or whatever you want to call it that will not allow you to stop drinking once you pick up that beer or shot even if you want to. If you aren't a true alcoholic then of course yes you can but chances are if you are posting in this thread and alcohol has brought a lot of problems to your life -- you are an alcoholic.

You have to get away from the "maybe one day I can drink," type of thinking if you are going to truly quit for good. First of all, don't think in absolutes right now just worry about not drinking TODAY. Just take it one day at a time. Once you start getting some clean time as long as you are working hard to make the best of your new sober life you won't even want to go back to drinking even if you could. Trust me on that