Notices

Day 17

Old 01-18-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17

Feeling pretty good, I think there will always be a part of me that wants to drink and I am trying to come to peace with that rather than fight against it.
In previous attempts at sobriety I have always viewed the act of thinking about/romanticising alcohol as failure and a reason to just give up but I am finding it better to just accept that I am not magically going to never want to drink again so I'm letting myself think/feel how I want. I find then with a little time I can rationalise things and see why I was feeling like that.

I can safely say I am no where near relapse right now so I'm trying to build a good sober foundation.

Peace to all
Old 01-18-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations - 17 days is outstanding!

I romanticize it at times too, yet I intellectually realize the bad parts far outweigh the good. I am careful to not underestimate the desire of the Beast (primitive brain) to gain the pleasure of the buzz again. That primitive desire for the deep pleasure of alcohol means I have to be really careful to not let the AV start plotting to get me to drink again. It can be so sneaky. I have to remain vigilant and keep reminding myself of the nasty side of it every time the romantic image of a glass of wine in an outdoor cafe pops into my head.