Notices

My last bender

Old 01-18-2021, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My last bender

Went on a 4 day vodka bender and damaged several relationships including making me single. Spent money like I was in congress. Generally made an ass out of myself to everyone that was close to my orbit. My relationship was on the rocks for a year because I would promise long stretches of time I am sober and would take Antabuse. This would work for 40 day stretches here and there, but in the end I would always say I am just going to have a beer or two and be done. I would always tell myself that would be it and I would go home. Well, I never once after the 1000 of times of convincing myself that it would be okay to start drinking after a long stretch of sobriety said, "Oh, I'm glad I drank yesterday." It always ended in torment because I would just continue drinking after waking up from the horrible hangover. It was anyone's best guess when I would stop. It could be 3 days 2 days or 7.

So I woke up from this bender and had to go through the doldrums again. The mental anxiety, the sweating, the shaky/nervous feeling, the stomach ache then in the clear. I'm on day 3 now and I have to say I feel so guilty about betraying the trust in someone I loved. I also know that the amounts I am drinking when I do drink are so high it is disgusting. So I know if I don't stop and on a long enough timeline, there is only death or jail. It is so simple if I could just convince myself that my next drink could be my last and that I never under any circumstances should have that one drink even if 5 years down the road. Yet, if it were so simple, none of us would be here, right?

I read all your stories and it gives me hope. So thank you all for taking time to write those. I wanted to write a bit about what I am going through because it definitely helps to know that there are other people out there struggling too.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! It is really a blessing you have posted here.

Getting support is essential on this road. I am sorry for these troubles you are experiencing with drinking. I too have had relationships go south while under the influence. You have the power to stop and to go on to live a productive healthy life. You may find with enough sober time that you are able to mend those broken relationships. Day 3 is amazing! Please keep posting and keep reading. You are not alone.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey Runningblind, I'm glad you came back. That's quite the hell you've been living in, eh? I know that place well. Not so much the withdrawals (though those are gawdawful horrible), but that place where you (I) keep trying and trying to get control of this thing - because why couldn't we? It's not rocket science - all we have to do is remember to take it easy and not overdo it. If it were only that simple.

I guess you could convince yourself that your last drink was the last.
That could work.

Stick around. It gets so much better, I promise.

O
Old 01-18-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember that dark place as if it were last week or something. All I have to do is think about it for a few seconds and I know that I never want to go back there. Please hang around this place. It has helped me to get where I am at.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You’re not on your own, Runningblind, and although small consolation, you’re not first and you certainly won’t be the last to make mistakes when drinking and/or drunk. They’re horrible, and I know how you must be feeling right now. Instead of beating yourself up, take those negative feelings and channel them into something beautiful - becoming and staying sober. That will be the greatest gift you can give to yourself and anybody that you love. Please keep posting and reading; it is saving my life at the moment, and I believe it does everyone who has problems with alcohol the world of good to share experiences and receive support.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Whiskey was my Best Friend for a while.. too bad it was trying to kill me.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, back.

So what's your recovery plan?

You have been a member of this website since are 2017, and you only have 5 posts. That's just over once per year.

It's tough getting sober by yourself. Have you tried AA?

Old 01-18-2021, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi RB.

I picked up again after 5 years and everything turned pear shaped again. Even at 5 years the thought still lurked that I would 'one day' be able to take a drink. I could not, and that day never came.

I am so very grateful that I now possess the insight to KNOW I can never drink again. And it's better than I thought. Much better.

Relationships have been mended RB, but for this to happen I had to show in my actions that I am no longer drinking. Giving it a red hot go.

People were actually impressed, which made me feel very good about myself.

Impress them RB. But impress yourself even more.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Running - I can relate. No alcohol = no insanity. No alcohol = no penalties (such as DUI's or bad personal outcomes or cultural penalties). Easy peasy. Need more verification ? Many resources here and with your county/state for your privacy. Don't think you are all alone. Many of us have been in your shoes. Let us know how we can be there for you.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Runningblind

Like others have mentioned, what's your plan now - how will you stay sober?

D

Old 01-18-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Runningblind. It took me a long time to finally admit I could never, ever touch the stuff. You're among friends who care.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is a solution and ultimately it’s a one day at a time deal in my experience. That’s all we have anyway. The sober life is possible and is a wonderful life. It takes honesty, open-mindedness and willingness to recover.