Notices

FANTASTIC covid news

Old 01-16-2021, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

FANTASTIC covid news

I just have to share this with all. It is important !!! It's SUCH good news.

There is some very interesting information coming out on Covid and Vitamin D. Its fantastic news and the information needs to get out to as many people as soon as possible so please share it and encourage others to share it as well. The video below is sort of a layman's take on this, but there are now a whole group of medical studies that show how Vitamin D is protective and ALSO how it can help reduce the severity of symptoms even after it is diagnosed . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Hnl7iRvpo
Stay well .... and of course stay sober.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wonderful news, indeed, Awuh.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I recommend against sharing that as medical fact. First, fact or not, I think sharing such things violates the rules of SR. Second, it isn't something that has come recommended by actual health professionals. That "Dr" has made 2,500 videos on Youtube. An unusual thing for a doc to do amidst a pandemic right? Most importantly, it has nothing whatsoever to do with offering support to others struggling with addiction or trying to live their best sober life. I would just take it down if you are able, or ask a moderator to.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think its good to be skeptical Surrendered19, but check out the actual medical studies. Vitamin D is available over the counter (or via sunlight) so I don't think it violates any rules. As for offering support for those struggling with addiction... I don't know of anything that could be more supportive than this in the middle of a pandemic.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RAL

I know you're only trying to help but think even recommending OTC meds and vitamins falls under medical advice
Old 01-16-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fair enough awuh1. I appreciate you trying to help others lead healthful lives. Anecdotally, I think being outside really helped in my recovery from Covid. I merely haven't heard any actual medical experts on Covid and the pandemic sing the praises of Vitamin D as a therapeutic. Such advice could lead someone astray who is sick and shouldn't be taking any vitamins on their own or simply cannot go outside because they are hospitalized.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was not persuaded by Dr. Berg, and fear people could read this stuff as cure. It's not.

I could probably produce a simillar "study" on Vitamin C. Eating cherries, etc. etc. The 'study' was weak.

I know you're trying to help awuh, but the 'study' proves nothing.

Sure, take in the sun if you can, eat more oranges, and cherries are good too.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Vit D is a good idea generally, especially in colder climates where there’s no sun - like the UK right now. However, this is to regulate levels of calcium in the body for healthy bones. You can take too much vitamin D and have excess calcium in the blood. I take one tiny tablet a day and that’s plenty.

But there’s no evidence it helps with Covid. No studies show this. You can get all the vitamin D you need by sitting in the sun 15 minutes a day, so using the logic of the video, Covid should have been blitzed last summer. It wasn’t. It’s a dangerous and irresponsible video.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I agree Surrendered 19. Anyone with a sensitivity to something widely available like a vitamin or sunlight should consult a professional. My post is not a recommendation for anyone. Its an effort to share good news that could save lives. People need to look at the information and consult a professional if they deem it necessary.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That linked video does not qualify as good news that can save lives. There is no scientific proof that Vitamin D and sunlight do anything at all to affect the course of Covid.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

https://www.linkedin.com/in/drericberg

Dr Eric Berg DC is a chiropractor. How is he even allowed to publish such an irresponsible video?

Folks, let’s all be careful what we read, please.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't want to labour the point because I know you are trying to help awuh.

However, just checked Berg out further, and this chiropractor sells supplements by the truckload. He'd be very aware, particularly during such trying times that people would opt for a supplement rather than wander under the sun.

I liked his opening address....."And it's free." The sun, that is. What a guy!

This makes me angry because his supplements would certainly NOT be free.

Again, I know you are trying to help awuh, but need to be careful when interpreting 'studies'.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like any thread about supplements, the best advice is to check with your doctor first.
Vitamins, can create problems with existing health conditions and certain meds.

There is research going on without a vested interest... but, while there are grounds for hope it may be part of a possible future COVID treatment, there is not much more than that right now.

'There isn't enough data to recommend use of vitamin D to prevent infection with the virus that causes COVID-19 or to treat COVID-19, according to the National Institutes of Health and the World Health Organization.'

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...d/faq-20493088

Late last year a review in the UK found little to no evidence to suggest Vitamin D is helpful in the fight against COVID.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng187/chapter/Recommendations

1.2 Do not offer a vitamin D supplement to people solely to prevent COVID‑19, except as part of a clinical trial.

1.3 Do not offer a vitamin D supplement to people solely to treat COVID‑19, except as part of a clinical trial.
I've conferred with my mod mates and we're not convinced this is really a Newcomers forum thread topic anyway - as both sides have been adequately addressed now, I think it's time to move on.

2.Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Dee
Administrator
SR