Notices

Scorpion and the frog (and GABA receptors)

Old 01-16-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Science teacher?

Oh please, GABAergic neurons are much more complex. Continue studying. x
Old 01-17-2021, 01:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’m sure they are, but I’m done with studying this.

I’m always concerned that active drinkers like to research in great depth why they drink whilst continuing to drink. Many will do PhD levels of research finding out if they can continue drinking occasionally. I still don’t know why I drank. I liked the taste I guess. I didn’t need to know why. I just knew my liver was rotting away, and I had to stop.

The GABA receptor background - which isn’t summarised nicely anywhere on the Internet - should be enough to tell drinkers to quit and not try and moderate. Any more research than that isn’t necessary.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm a big fan of not over complicating explanations, especially when it comes to trying to apply logic to my alcoholism. I appreciate keeping things simple.

I've found this thread extremely helpful.
Thank you Hodd!!
Old 01-17-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just watched the video link. How informative. It makes sense as to why there is so much anxiety and confusion when a person quits drinking initially. Thanks for posting this. May I never experience the withdrawal again.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Miss, I’m not sure why the symptoms (anxiety) fade away if not the cause (the affected GABA receptors), but we should be very grateful they do fade with time without alcohol. I remember in my first few weeks wondering if that anxiety would hit at wine o’clock every evening. Life would be very different and dare I say intolerable if that were the case. Fortunately, that feeling fades after a few weeks.

As I said, I’ve done researching - I have to teach my kids biology all this week so I need to do day job research but I wonder how this all fits in with kindling? That sounds horrific and is yet another reason to be fearful of relapsing. What I will say is that people should do the research after they’ve quit long term. Drinkers doing research, seeing counsellors and exploring their innermost thoughts whilst continuing to drink are just putting things off. Just stop drinking and do the research when sober.