Notices

Headaches

Old 01-14-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ANM

Headaches

So, I am on day 11 and up until yesterday felt ok with the exception of being really tired all the time. Yesterday I woke up with a headache (without the hangover) and it is still in full force today. I have been lucky enough to not have any bad withdrawal symptoms other than some difficulty falling asleep in the evening and feeling extremely anti-social. Definitely some depression but I am hoping once I hit the 30-90 marks that will dissipate. If not I'll contact my doctor. Oh and really missing that alcohol buzz. That said, I haven't been tempted to drink. Which is HUGE. I have been a heavy, daily drinker for longer than I like to admit.

Are the headaches normal right now? Any thoughts/advice is welcome.

Thanks,

N
Old 01-14-2021, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, pretty normal for some people the first few weeks.

Any changes in your caffeine intake? That can leave me with a big one.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am at 24 days and I have found on the days I drink tons of water I am fine, but if I only drink a couple glasses of water, coffee doesn't count as water, I will have such a terrible hurting headache. At first I was concerned, but I see the pattern with myself now, so I am staying hydrated with clean water and the headaches are gone for me.

Hope you feel better.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a great place for help!
Old 01-14-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ANM- I have 31 days today and between day 11-18 I had a headache every night and every morning. Nothing Advil couldn't handle but it was annoying. It has mostly gone away for me...still not feeling 100% but I am figuring that it took me years to get to where I was, it may take time to get fully healthy. I am being patient and staying close to SR.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lots of H2o helps with my headaches body twitches and aches. Gratz on 11 ANM
Old 01-15-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 7. And most of the withdrawal symptoms are gone except the headache and night sweats. Last night my head hurt so bad I just wanted to check out! But it's all part of the game. It took me years to get to this and I am sure it's going to take me years to get out. I just drink a lot of water. Take pain meds and go at life. I know from past experience it does get better in time. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 5 here and slight headaches every day so far. Hope you feel better soon❤️
Old 01-15-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

This is weird, I know, but headaches are a sign of healing for me. For the majority of my first months sober, I woke with a headache. It generally faded away on its own sometime within an hour or so, pretty much without me noticing. I think having a morning routine that was specifically focused on getting my head in the right place really facilitated that. For me, that meant spending just a few minutes meditating and another few minutes determining which principle I would practice that day.

I don't know... I guess I look at those headaches as a side-effect of the rewiring going on in my brain.

O
Old 01-16-2021, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 14 I have headaches everyday it seems. I hope it gets better. I hope it gets better for you also!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds pretty normal to me. Over a year in and I'll get a phantom hangover out of the blue and wake up feeling like I'd been hammered the night before. The first few weeks I for sure had some headaches. Hell, everything ached on me so my head was the least of it.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had headaches many mornings in my first month of sobriety in the mornings. They gradually got better, though I still get one every so often.