Notices

Ugh i really did it this time...

Old 01-14-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Ugh i really did it this time...

So I have been trying to lose more weight, I'm still over weight. Certainly not ever drinking will help, but I've been jogging (on the snow and ice), walking, and doing bootcamp. The last couple days I was very, very sore and today I woke up and can hardly walk.
so I need to rest my body a bit, but now I'm SO bored, I hate sitting around.
I just want to order alcohol.

I might just go for a run, but I'm going to just do more damage to my legs.
But at least I won't be drinking?
Old 01-14-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you could go for a walk. Be kind to your body but still get some exercise. I hope you feel better.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
so I need to rest my body a bit, but now I'm SO bored,
Exercise your mind.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Exercise your mind.
lol, already done. I get bored easy, and I hate doing the same thing for too long.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd rather be bored than drunk.

If you are sore stretching would definitely help.
Walking is also a good idea. When overexerted muscles still need to move.
Just take it real slow and easy.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I'd rather be bored than drunk.

If you are sore stretching would definitely help.
Walking is also a good idea. When overexerted muscles still need to move.
Just take it real slow and easy.
thank you! Did some stretches, took it easy and now I'm going to go for a walk to at least get my steps in, and do a meeting.
apparently it rained last night so everything is more icy than usual. Don't know if I could run if I tried lol.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good deal! Gotta keep those muscles moving even when it hurts.

Nice job on pushing through
Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Read
play a video game
watch a movie
Write in a journal
go for a walk.

those are just some ideas. Your body needs rest. Addiction aside drinking is a very bad idea. You are putting a poison in your body. Rest up and you will feel better but drink it'll only make matters worse.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by BornSurvivor View Post
Read
play a video game
watch a movie
Write in a journal
go for a walk.

those are just some ideas. Your body needs rest. Addiction aside drinking is a very bad idea. You are putting a poison in your body. Rest up and you will feel better but drink it'll only make matters worse.
yeah I'm just not feeling good today. I dont really watch TV, movies etc often.
I do read the big book. I just can't sit still for long, I have a really hard time with it, and feeling useless.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went from obese to slim through exercise (and not drinking). Running was a problem at first.

You’re definitely overdoing it, Anxious. If your legs are sore, take a day or two rest. I assume you want to exercise as an ongoing thing, so slow right down and don’t be in such a hurry.

I had a lot of shin pain. A physio took one look and said I was flat footed! This put a strain on various parts of my lower legs, but corrective insoles fixed it instantly. It’s very worthwhile to visit a proper running shop (not a franchise) and spend 30 minutes or more trying a few shoes with an expert. These guys are good. I went when I was obese and they were brilliant.

Remember, just walking is a good exercise. I walked an hour at lunchtime and my watch says I burned 578 calories. I “only” burn 450 running 3 miles.

Also, if you start watching the calories going in - being honest and recording even a cup of coffee - you see where you can cut down. I found it very daft that I ran and went to the gym and ate super carefully only to then drink 350 calories of alcohol (two small glasses of wine). You soon realise that drinking piles on the calories.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am a big bike rider when I don't drink... Kills me when Im on a bender and walk by my bike. Usually ride about 300 miles a month at 0345 before work. Looking forward to starting again. I find excersise a great deterrent to drinking.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I went from obese to slim through exercise (and not drinking). Running was a problem at first.

You’re definitely overdoing it, Anxious. If your legs are sore, take a day or two rest. I assume you want to exercise as an ongoing thing, so slow right down and don’t be in such a hurry.

I had a lot of shin pain. A physio took one look and said I was flat footed! This put a strain on various parts of my lower legs, but corrective insoles fixed it instantly. It’s very worthwhile to visit a proper running shop (not a franchise) and spend 30 minutes or more trying a few shoes with an expert. These guys are good. I went when I was obese and they were brilliant.

Remember, just walking is a good exercise. I walked an hour at lunchtime and my watch says I burned 578 calories. I “only” burn 450 running 3 miles.

Also, if you start watching the calories going in - being honest and recording even a cup of coffee - you see where you can cut down. I found it very daft that I ran and went to the gym and ate super carefully only to then drink 350 calories of alcohol (two small glasses of wine). You soon realise that drinking piles on the calories.
I have been doing intense exercise for over a year. Walking, to me, does not count as actual exercise, it's just stretching and rest day steps.
I have counted calories literally more than half my life due to having an eating disorder.
I dont drink coffee, but not sure how giving up a 5 calorie cup of coffee helps you reduce calories?
I feel like cutting out my binge foods would work better. But again, I have an eating disorder.
I have lost almost 60lbs so far, with a set back over Christmas, and am working on losing the pounds I gained with Christmas cookies. .
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, you didn’t mention the 60lbs. Maybe you’re being a bit hard on yourself?

I seem to have gained 5lbs over Xmas, but it’ll go if I keep an eye on it.

As for the coffee, a lot of people have a latte with sugar, and it’s 250 calories right there. If your coffee is healthier, that’s great.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anxious, I have no solution for you but want to commiserate with you. The only exercise that 'does it' for me is running but I suffer with arthritis and I'm getting old(er). People kindly suggest other things for me but they just don't scratch the itch.

I live in fear of injury and my whole schedule is built around building up distance and pace without injuring myself. It's super frustrating at times and I don't achieve what I want to. For example, I had a month off over Xmas due to a slight pull. I went backwards but at least I can run again now.

Im really cautious. No matter what I plan if I feel my knee or calf pulling I stop and walk home. I hate hate HATE that but I live to fight another day
Old 01-14-2021, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Wow, you didn’t mention the 60lbs. Maybe you’re being a bit hard on yourself?

I seem to have gained 5lbs over Xmas, but it’ll go if I keep an eye on it.

As for the coffee, a lot of people have a latte with sugar, and it’s 250 calories right there. If your coffee is healthier, that’s great.
I gained 10 lol...but i Have PCOS and I gain reallllyyy easy!
I dont drink coffee
Old 01-14-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Anxious, I have no solution for you but want to commiserate with you. The only exercise that 'does it' for me is running but I suffer with arthritis and I'm getting old(er). People kindly suggest other things for me but they just don't scratch the itch.

I live in fear of injury and my whole schedule is built around building up distance and pace without injuring myself. It's super frustrating at times and I don't achieve what I want to. For example, I had a month off over Xmas due to a slight pull. I went backwards but at least I can run again now.

Im really cautious. No matter what I plan if I feel my knee or calf pulling I stop and walk home. I hate hate HATE that but I live to fight another day
ouch that sounds horrible . I feel awful for you.
I dont know if i pulled anything.... its just from doing too many lunges, squats, etc. And running.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I ate stupid quantities of food growing up and it didn't catch up until my later teens.

I've been on some form of diet all of my adult life. Running as a kid I thought was punishment for doing something wrong in sports. Once I started getting fat I immediately took to running and weightlifting because those activities made me instantly feel like I was doing something to get rid of the weight. If I'm working this hard it must be doing something, right? Even through those decades of alcohol and drug abuse I always found some system to balance it out.

The bad news i really didn't want to accept is that 90% of weight loss is diet. It was easy to go out and run. I even like the buzz i get from it. Diet is 24 hours a day. Its a process that mentally wore me down.

For me personally what seems to work the best is keto and intermittent fasting. Sleep 7 hours or so then black coffee for breakfast and how easy it is to hit 16 + hours without food.

In my mid 40s I get injured much easier. I love to run but i have watch how fast and often i run. It sucks taking extra rest days from time to time but it sucks more making an injury worse. Injuries meant mine as well binge drink when I was younger but now its more of a Netflix binge or something. I keep following my diet and to my surprise I can go through an injury without gaining weight. I'm as light as I have ever been in my mid 40s.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
I ate stupid quantities of food growing up and it didn't catch up until my later teens.

I've been on some form of diet all of my adult life. Running as a kid I thought was punishment for doing something wrong in sports. Once I started getting fat I immediately took to running and weightlifting because those activities made me instantly feel like I was doing something to get rid of the weight. If I'm working this hard it must be doing something, right? Even through those decades of alcohol and drug abuse I always found some system to balance it out.

The bad news i really didn't want to accept is that 90% of weight loss is diet. It was easy to go out and run. I even like the buzz i get from it. Diet is 24 hours a day. Its a process that mentally wore me down.

For me personally what seems to work the best is keto and intermittent fasting. Sleep 7 hours or so then black coffee for breakfast and how easy it is to hit 16 + hours without food.

In my mid 40s I get injured much easier. I love to run but i have watch how fast and often i run. It sucks taking extra rest days from time to time but it sucks more making an injury worse. Injuries meant mine as well binge drink when I was younger but now its more of a Netflix binge or something. I keep following my diet and to my surprise I can go through an injury without gaining weight. I'm as light as I have ever been in my mid 40s.
I've never had luck with intermittent fasting OR keto. The only thing that works for me is about 1500 calories a day, with bootcamp and running, no cheating at all.
but since I have PCOS, if I do this for 8-10 weeks, I will only lose 8-10lbs, while most who are overweight would lose 20-25.
I've cried over it many, many times.
but, I try.
if weight loss was 90% exercise, and not diet id be golden Hhaha.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

So weirdly enough, I went for a walk and it made my pain so, so much worse!
I did my bootcamp HIIT workout and I feel awesome.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm no expert Anxiousrock, but I wouldn't overdo it. Some of us can become compulsive over 'things' other than alcohol. You've lost 60lbs already, which is awesome, but still wouldn't push it.

Seems to me if your legs legs are hurting and you go out full bore again legs will hurt more and you won't be able to do anything. Idk. Seems logical to me.

Outside of my crackpot theories on exercise and moderation want to say how great you are doing Anxiousrock.

I'm going to buy a really tedious jigsawpuzzle. Apparently there are ones that depict Shakespearean plays, crib notes included.

Still too scared to write truthfully in my journal which is something I'd really like to do, but scared of the memories. It'll happen tho. Omg.