Notices

Hello once again my friends, Dime here..

Old 01-14-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello once again my friends, Dime here..

First sober 2007, hooked up here in 2009, spent many years here and made many friends. Started to slip after 11 years sober. 3-4 days sober now, still got the shakes but don't feel like I'm going to blow out my skin anymore.

Did the AA thing for many years, but have difficulty with the steps and the God thing. AA worked for me because of the fellowship is so powerful.

Looking for help and insight. Thinking about exploring the meds that help with the desire to drink.

Need to talk real bad with people like you.

Thanks for listening

Old 01-14-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome back! Eleven years of sobriety is a good long run. The shakes and withdrawal symptoms will subside soon enough. Do you have a plan for staying sober?

edit to add: I see you’re considering medication. I don’t have experience with that but others here do. Hopefully they come along and share.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back to recovery. Hopefully you can find the new tools to make it stick this time around. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Hi Dime, glad you made it back.
Did the AA thing for many years, but have difficulty with the steps and the God thing.
Same thing here. Went to my first meeting in 1992. Lots of relapses because I was fighting the God thing and didn't work the steps. From 1996-2001, I managed to get 5 years sober, but was still fighting the God thing and hadn't worked the steps. Came back to AA in 2003. This time I stopped fighting the words and concentrated on the message behind the words and was able to work the steps. I have been sober and in recovery ever since.

AA worked for me because of the fellowship is so powerful
Could be the opening you need because it sounds like the fellowship is a power greater than you. As to turning your will and life over, you might consider listening to the suggestions you hear in the rooms instead of listening to your will; and if you do your best to live by the principles of the program you would in effect be entrusting your life to those principles.

A lot people say to take what you can from the program and leave the rest. This never worked for me because I was trying to fit the program to me. When I changed my thoughts and tried to fit me into the program, amazing things happened.

I am not trying to push you back into AA and I don't think it is the only way to achieve recovery. I want everyone who is struggling to find whatever is the right way for them to find peace and serenity. I just wanted to share my experience in hopes that it can help you to open your parachute because I want everyone to float gently down to the ground. Peace. :~)
Old 01-14-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back. 11 years of recovery is great and I hope you can get back to it.

I have no experience with the medications, but have depended on books and SR to help me along my journey.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome back Dime

Best talk to a doctor about meds. The AA program was not for me. I did attend plenty of AA meetings at one time and it helped as a solid recovery action.

Hydrate, eat healthy foods and exercise can improve your general health both mentally and physically.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dime. I had trouble with AA too, for many reasons which I won't go into here, but my initial 3 years sobriety that I achieved here at SR without AA was by far the most durable, and not dependent on a "daily reprieve", constant meetings or stepwork (which I did with a sponsor). SR works, if you come here a couple times a day and genuinely try to help others. Join a class, get involved. Do some side reading on addiction. Maybe look into AVRT, the principles of which really resonate with me and allow one to permanently put the addiction behind.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

AA does not have to be about God. It isn't for me, I have never had a relationship with God. My higher power is currently Davey Havok. He's smart, doesn't drink or do drugs, vegan, and stands up for what he believes in. He's what I aspire to be like, and a good role model.
your higher power could be a piece of tin foil taped to the wall if you want.
find spirituality in nature, your family, pets, etc.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you’re struggling Dime, but I’m really glad you made it back man
Honestly whatever it takes right now to put the drink down and leave it down, I’d grab it with both hands.

D

Old 01-14-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job making it back here and back into a life of sobriety. This website is so helpful! Wishing you all the best <3
Art
Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dime. I don't have any experience with AA, but SR has worked wonderfully for me. Like advbike said, SR works.