Notices

Hi, I'm Roxie (Day 11)

Old 01-12-2021, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Roxie (Day 11)

Good Evening, strangers! I am on day 11 (again) of my 2.5 year struggle to get sober. This time is different cuz I think I'm done grieving my drinking lifestyle. I was a 2x week binge drinker, so I really struggled with the idea that I could "walk it back." After 2.5 years of trying, I think I'm ready to say that that experiment failed. I still blacked out. I still always had 2 too many. I tried setting timers. Lol. Like why?? How is that fun? Lol.

I need a system and support network, but my experiences locally have been mixed. Also, as a working mom, I can't get to most meetings. I was ridiculed at meetings for this complaint. "If you had time to drink, then you have time for meetings," but the truth is that I only drank from 9pm-12am twice or 3x per week. I am not down playing my problem. Frankly, it's a testament to the depth of my problem that I could only drink 2-3x per week, and still cause the self-harm that I did (e.g., fell down the stairs, broke three ribs, broken glasses, the hangover, the anxiety and depression, the scenes I made leaving parties, etc). Anyways, my point is that I need something thats not during banking hours or prime playing with my kid weekend hours.

Where do I start?
Old 01-12-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Roxie!

Congratulations on 11 days! Many AA meetings are online due to COVID. Here is just on listing out of thousands, near Seattle (GMT -8h). I like the "Living Sober" meeting at 5:30 (soon). It usually has about 60 participants.

https://eastsideaa.org/meetings/?tsml-type=ONL
Old 01-12-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Roxie and I'm glad you found us. This is a great place to start. We're always open and there's always someone around to talk to.

Like you, I exhausted myself with my futile efforts to control my drinking. Stopping was really much easier. Good for you on Day 11, that's great.

It's probably a good idea to come up with a plan for what you will do to stay sober and recover. And, maybe come up with some ideas for how to distract yourself when you get an urge to drink. Planning ahead is really helpful.

Here is a list of some recovery programs. We use any and all programs here, including do-it-yourself:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 01-12-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You found the right spot! Be active here. I have found recovery just through these forums. Most of us share your story to varying degrees.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you with us, Roxie. Telling my story here really helped relieve my anxiety about quitting. Everyone understood (like others in my life couldn't) & I was able to find the strength to quit for good. Knowing you're not alone is so important.. You can do it.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi RoxieLinKS!! One of the many great things about SR is that the doors are always open and someone is always here. You can give and receive as often as you want. You only need to hop on and start reading. Congratulations on Day 11!! That is an excellent start.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Roxie

this community is a great place to start - read around, ask questions, post as much as you like...

we have a Class of Jan 2021 support thread you might want to check out too
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-three-2.html
D
Old 01-12-2021, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad your here
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm on day 11, as well! I feel good, and I'm nervous it is a pink cloud.
but stay close to here, lots of good people with many, many years sober and good advice.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Roxie! Glad you joined us. I also was 2-3 times a week drinker, but once I had a couple and should have stopped.. I couldn't resist more.

You can get sober here and personally, it worked better for me than meetings. You just have to participate. As often as you can. Look through the other posts, and share your thoughts and concerns. I also really encourage joining the class where you will be with others quitting this month. Thats what got me sober. It's a lot of fun, and you will gain a ton of insights.

Congratulations on 11 days - that's really a great start as you're past the physical cravings at this point. Just keep at it and stay on here.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Choose your own adventure. What works for one person may not work for the other. This community is filled with people from all over the world; all having different approaches to sobriety.

A part of my daily routine is to come here in the mornings and in the evening. Participation and supporting others has proven to be beneficial for all of us. So far so sober. I am glad you found SR. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 01-12-2021, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi Roxie! Welcome to the family. 11 days is a great start, past the physical withdrawals and just starting to feel better. We're a world-wide family here. Always someone online. Make use of the support here to stay sober for good.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's wonderful to have you with us, Roxie. Telling my story here really helped relieve my anxiety about quitting. Everyone understood (like others in my life couldn't) & I was able to find the strength to quit for good. Knowing you're not alone is so important.. You can do it.
hi Roxie. I'm on day 17, so
Old 01-13-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
hi Roxie. I'm on day 17, so similar place. SR has helped me get through the past couple weeks. Keep posting. Hugs, sister
Old 01-13-2021, 05:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RoxieLinKS View Post
fell down the stairs, broke three ribs, broken glasses, the hangover, the anxiety and depression, the scenes I made leaving parties, etc.
Where do I start?
You certainly qualify. You can get lots of help, support, information, and tips here, but there is a whole lot of just YOU in recovery. It's not a lonely YOU, however. It's just a lot to do on your own. I spent a lot of time in groups where no drinking went on, and that was a major part of my support and source of useful information about quitting, but while I was attending meetings daily, I was making a lot of commitments to myself, and you do that on your own. I had to wade through the initial cravings on my own, but there was always daily support for what I was doing. But even getting myself to my support group, was on my own. Once there, the support group plays an important role.

Where to start? Well, right here is a good place. Participate, ask questions, keep us informed, tell us how we can help, and be open to suggestions, and take some time to sort through the suggestions that might be most helpful, read books about alcoholism. That was pretty much how I did it. It's good to have you here. Getting sober was one of my life's biggest changes, and has been very rewarding.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RoxieLinKS View Post

I need a system and support network, but my experiences locally have been mixed. Also, as a working mom, I can't get to most meetings. I was ridiculed at meetings for this complaint. "If you had time to drink, then you have time for meetings," but the truth is that I only drank from 9pm-12am twice or 3x per week. I am not down playing my problem. Frankly, it's a testament to the depth of my problem that I could only drink 2-3x per week, and still cause the self-harm that I did (e.g., fell down the stairs, broke three ribs, broken glasses, the hangover, the anxiety and depression, the scenes I made leaving parties, etc). Anyways, my point is that I need something thats not during banking hours or prime playing with my kid weekend hours.

Where do I start?
11 days is a good start, Roxie!!! Stick close to SR, maybe join the 24 hour thread to commit to 24 hours of sobriety (and get your name listed every day!!!) There are so many amazing resources, but first, you should consider creating your plan. There's a link that Dee usually posts (and he may have here) that is full of information on creating your plan.

I'm going to get a bit harsh but here goes...You spent 6-9 hours each week drinking which really does add up to some available time. Try an online meeting, they're available at all hours and you can easily get one in every day. You don't even have to leave the house!

Stay close and know that you are welcome here!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Roxie?

D