Notices

Get to know our Gratitude forums!

Old 02-17-2021, 10:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Bump Bump

And yes gratitude, giving thanks and practicing humility is how to begin a path to wisdom.

“O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small
-Breton fisherman's prayer.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't emphasize enough what a huge difference gratitude has made in my life. I have peace and joy in uncertain times and am content with my life. And all because I am grateful for my blessings.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have only seen this whole thread now, but at a good time I'm usually not bad at recognizing the blessings in my life, but sometimes stress and anxiety can cloud that ability, make me more pessimistic than necessary. Thanks least!
Old 03-30-2021, 08:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by least View Post
The best piece of advice I ever got about shoring up my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. I found that a hard task at first, as I was early in recovery (about 3 months in) and not 'feeling it'. I had wreckage to clean up from my drinking career. I was in debt and had no other source of income, what was there to feel grateful for?

But I started anyway, every day. I was grateful that I woke up sober, and that I woke up at all. I would be grateful for the smallest of things, like the clerk smiling at me in the store or the person who said they thought my dog was cute.

After a while it became easier to feel grateful. And my attitude slowly changed from negative to positive. I felt happier day by day. I still had my bad days, but could always find something to be grateful for, like staying sober.

Here's an article about how being grateful can make you happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0

Check out the Gratitude List. I find that reading others' grats gives me ideas of other things I'm grateful for. And the more I am grateful, the more I find to be grateful for.
Bump
Old 03-31-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The best piece of advice I ever got about shoring up my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. I found that a hard task at first, as I was early in recovery (about 3 months in) and not 'feeling it'. I had wreckage to clean up from my drinking career. I was in debt and had no other source of income, what was there to feel grateful for?

But I started anyway, every day. I was grateful that I woke up sober, and that I woke up at all. I would be grateful for the smallest of things, like the clerk smiling at me in the store or the person who said they thought my dog was cute.

After a while it became easier to feel grateful. And my attitude slowly changed from negative to positive. I felt happier day by day. I still had my bad days, but could always find something to be grateful for, like staying sober.

Here's an article about how being grateful can make you happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0

Check out the Gratitude List. I find that reading others' grats gives me ideas of other things I'm grateful for. And the more I am grateful, the more I find to be grateful for.
Great Post Least! I need to practice gratitude more!
Old 04-02-2021, 03:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good Morning! Grateful for another day sober!
Does anyone know of a place I can read daily quotes for gratitude??
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know about such a place, tho you could google "quotes on gratitude" and see what you get. If you read any of the grat threads in the Gratitude forum, you'll find a lot of good grats.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/40-in...gratitude.html
Old 04-02-2021, 03:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't know about such a place, tho you could google "quotes on gratitude" and see what you get. If you read any of the grat threads in the Gratitude forum, you'll find a lot of good grats.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/40-in...gratitude.html
Thank you for the link least! Some great stuff there!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Gratitude is not only the greatest of the virtues, but the parent of all the others. Cicero

I am forever indebted to whomever suggested I start practicing gratitude every day. It has made such a difference in my life.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I still had my bad days, but could always find something to be grateful for, like staying sober.
That gratitude for being sober has every right to be there 24/7 for the rest of our lives, and it should be. No matter what else might be wrong, it is separate from your sobriety, and that gratitude can't be taken away. It is one constant plus in our lives, and I agree that cultivating that gratitude for other, usually much smaller and random events, adds even more to our lives.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I find that being grateful permeates every part of my life and makes me feel complete. The first thought I have upon awakening is to be grateful that I'm alive and healthy and my little dog is right beside me on the bed.

I am so blessed to have found gratitude. The person who suggested it to me has made such a difference in my life.

And the wonderful thing about being grateful is that all things are just as important, from the smallest to the biggest. My gratitude is the same for all my blessings.