Notices

Day 25 Sober

Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 25 Sober

Hello. I am now 25 days sober after about 30 years of drinking heavily, mostly wine. I tapered down from a bottle or more a night starting in September. My last wine was December 16th. I had typical withdrawal I guess. Headaches, nausea, some BP issues and rapid pulse, anxiety and insomnia. One trip to the ER for a bad BP spike. But was able to detox at home. However, I still have loss of appetite, persistent dizziness, significant weight loss, anxiety and chronic insomnia. I have been to the doctor multiple times. Head CT okay, ENT said dizziness is not BPV vertigo. Blood work is all normal. Working on getting an MRI. The dizziness feels like I am on a boat at sea. When I am driving I feel fine. The dizziness make me anxious and the anxiety probably makes it worse. A few doctors said my central nervous system is readjusting and I will feel better soon. Just wondering if other have had the persistent dizziness for days or weeks on end?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CBS62 - Welcome!

I had dizzyness for a little while after most of my later quits.Sometime a week sometimes a month.
I found out later my BP was sky high tho and that was the cause for me...

if you've gotten all that and other things checked out and the Dr says not to worry, I guess its up to you - you can take their advice and try and relax, or get a second opinion?

D
Old 01-10-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RAL

Welcome CBS. 😃 I'm 5 weeks in and had a terrible episode of dizziness the other night. Felt like the room was spinning never had anything like it before.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're here. I had dizziness and vertigo from drinking when I was really young - in my twenties - and drinking very heavily. We called it "the spins" because the room would spin and you had to put your foot on the floor to stop it. Lol, first time I remembered that in decades.

Only experienced something similar once in recent years when I wasn't drinking and it was vertigo - from an inner ear problem. Lasted a few hours. I think if it's stilll happening when you're sober almost a month I'd get a second opinion.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi CBS- I'm right with you and RAL. I'm at 27 days myself. Congrats on the 25 days, I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd give yourself a bit more sober time to heal and see how it is then. A month is good sober time, but we're just starting to recuperate and still not 'right'. At least, that's how it was for me.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days!
Old 01-10-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi CBS62. I had a variant of that but mine doesn't sound nearly what you are enduring. About every third day in early recovery I would stand up from a chair and have vertigo for about 30 minutes. It was not fun. That lasted for 6 weeks or so. Knock on wood, I haven't had any recurrence. Yet another in a long list of reasons for you and I to never drink again.

Congrats on a nice stretch of sober time!!!
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job! That first month can be brutal. Glad you almost through it.

Keep at it though. Your addiction is ready and waiting for you to get cocky and slip up. Don't let that happen!

Your life will continue to get better long as you stay sober so don't stop now. It's just the beginning
Old 01-11-2021, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It’s a relief to see you all talking about the dizziness - I feel amazing generally but I’m constantly dizzy, I even feel dizzy when I’m laying down! 14 days sober today - glad to know it’s normal! Feel so very odd. Disorientated.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days. Keep it up.